Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
password help

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 13:38

i see firefox keeps track of your email passwords for websites. like this one. i changed my password but firefox kept looking for old password. it would autocomplete the sign in process and insert the old password. unless i manually entered the new password info. comcast customer service could not tell me how to change the password info. finally saw it was very easy to go into the tools menu and check the security heading and than firefox asked me if i wanted to see ALL my website accounts and passwords. you can delete the password but cannot change it. than the next time you log in, you type in the new password and it remembers it. comcast knew about tools,options,privacy. they kept assuming the computer was keeping old cookies or history but it was really a security issue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: password help

From the FF help page:

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Firefox Help

o

U can also tell Firefox to NOT remember passwords.

o

Ok, now FF will not remember my new password. I go into tools,security and it is set to remember passwords. It has about 10 other passwords for other sites. Just seems to be an issue with the Comcast user ID and password. I suppose I could get a new password for another site as a test?

o

try clearing all your cache cookies and stuff that might help, in firefox tools clear recent history click on details to select all the items to clear in the area for the time use the drop down arrow and choose everything, clear now.

o

Ravencajun, I had a similar problem to this. I use firefox too. Some time ago when I went to log into my bank, the username automatically came up and I was horrified. Somehow I managed to check not to show usernames and it seemed to work for a while but I now have to keep un-checking the tick boxes not to save on most of my links.

I just tried to follow your instructions in this posting about clearing everything so went into firebox, 'tools', clear recent history but clear recent history wasn't highlighted so couldn't do it. Have I missed something out?

o

oliverp-
Different veersions of Firefox have some choices in different places. I use Firefox 15.0. To make changes like this I go into the orange Firefox dropdown menu at the top left; then "Options"; "Options". When the window opens up, go into the Privacy and Security tabs and decide on which choices you want to make. For example, choosing "Firefox will: Use custom settings for history" will open up some useful options for you.

o

try control + shift+ del

I don't know why it would not be selectable for you I have never seen it that way. You tried clicking on the clear recent history option under tools or not? Did it actually not allow clicking? very strange

o

I've managed it this time via the tools menu, then options. I put a tick against 'Tell websites I do not want to be tracked' and also 'never remember history'. I'm sure that will sort it.

Clear recent history was there but it was greyed out so I couldn't click it, I found it under options.

Many, many thanks to everyone for all the help. I really do appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here