SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hald_gw

GPS issues with an Android cell phone

hald
10 years ago

I spent about 1 1/2 hours on the phone last night with tech support trying to figure out/fix the gps issues with my Galaxy Note II cell phone. We checked all the settings but couldn't figure out a fix.
Here's the problem: the GPS in the phone seems to work, but not accurately, and no matter what we tried the phone said I was anywhere from 10 miles to 125 miles away from my actual location.
The problem seems to have started a couple weeks ago when I ordered a pizza online when I was staying in a motel in a city about 130 miles away from my home. Since then anything related to gps shows that I am still in that city, no matter where I actually am. So if I get directions the starting point is always in that other city. That other city also is my location whenever I use any app (mainly Firefox Beta for android).
When I was on the phone with the tech we tried to make sure all the settings on the phone were correct, gps , updates, etc., all were turned on. We tried several times to have the phone determine my actual location and address - I was at home - and each time we tried the phone said I was at a Wells Fargo Bank about 15 miles across town. (I don't use the phone for online banking; I visited the Wells Fargo site in the past but that's all).
I keep thinking it has to do with a setting somewhere on the phone or in the cloud. The problem became a big one yesterday when I tried to use the phone to get directions. It took me way out into the boonies, miles away from my destination.
I'm hoping someone here can suggest what to check next.

Comments (3)