SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
urlee

Acer netbbook

urlee
11 years ago

I just purchased an Acer netbook and am fearful of uninstalling programs that may horse up my computer.

I do have revo on here that I intended on using opposed to the control panel.

Is anyone here familiar with these programs?

Norton online backup (Am thinking a pay later)

McAfee security Internet Suite (Pay later?)

Fooz kids

Fooz Kids Platform

Nook for PC

ebay worldwide

Evernote

Identity Card

newsXpresso

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile 38.8MB

Microsoft Silverlight 40.3 MB

Being only 1GB memory, I wondered if uninstalling programs would help this little honey in any way?

Thanks,

urlee

Comments (25)

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

I'd get rid of McAfee and any/all Norton/Symatech products.
    www.microsoft.com/security Microsoft Security Essentials is free and apparently uses least memory and processor.

You should read the whole page at the link below for the McAfee removal. And run that tool before installing any other anti-virus type programs.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=CS41013

• susieq07
    11 years ago

1st. thing I get rid of on a new Pc is all Norton/McAfee etc.I install AVG2012 (personal preference) and unneeded software such as your kid related stuff,and games you are ask to pay for later, but never remove any microsoft, your OS is microsoft after all, would not mess with that..

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

urlee I just got a new pc and was doing the same thing. I used a tool called pcdecrapifier which I have used many times it is an easy way to remove all the extra junk they put on there especially all the trial offers.

I would try using it first it should take care of removing all you need to remove. Including those antivirus programs that need to go. I definitely would add Microsoft security essentials that is what went on my new one. You will have to know if you have a 32bit or 64 bit and get the proper download for that pc.
    PC Decrapifier

Microsoft Security Essentials

what I did on the ones I was not sure of I did a quick google search to see what they were and if they were a trial version that would require payment later if yes I removed them. So make your list do your googling then use pcdecrapifier to clear it all out of there.

I would not remove the .net one or the silverlight one those are windows components.

Nook for pc allows you to read ebooks on your pc.

and remember to always tell us your version of windows so we can give you specific info.

I also immediately installed spywareblaster, malwarebytes and superantispyware on mine and once online and updated ran scans to make sure it was clean from the get go.

But before I did any thing I made my one copy of the dvd recovery material which you must do these days so that should something go wrong I have the recovery discs.

After I made sure the windows firewall was turned on and my microsoft security essentials was up and protecting me I then went online and got all my various updates including the critical windows updates which I did in batches since there were so many.

I had put all of the programs I would need on a little thumb flash drive which I had created using my other pc, that way everything I would need to install on the new pc was right there an I did not have to go online till I was protected. I just copied them from my little flash drive into a folder I created on my desktop called tools, I knew right where to find them when it came time for their install.

Be sure you are alert and uncheck any of those pesky toolbars and stuff they try to sneak on.

• genes
    11 years ago

Yes, please check your user manual for instructions on how to make your recovery disks...do not put it off..tend to get forgotten then..when suddenly you need it , then its too late

• genes
    11 years ago

just suddenly realized. yours is a netbook..would seriously suggest you invest a few dollars and pick up an external dvd drive...you will probably need one to make the recovery disks and to load them should your HD crap out

• urlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you ALL for the wonderful, valuable, much appreciated info here.

Ooooops, I already installed Avast on it when I first got it when I took it to the Library (wireless) for fast DL.
    I didn't click Norton to open to install and don't know if McAfee automatically runs as it popped up with a box asking something which I didn't acknowledge.

I now got it running on my dialup service at home. (Bless those external modems!)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

You MUST remove Norton and McAfee it doesn't matter if you opened it or not you will have bits and pieces of them all in the netbook and they can conflict.
    Avast is fine but get those others off!!
    You can use the pcdecrapifier.com, or Revo or appremover just do it, if McAfee is popping up stuff my guess is that it is operating.
    And remember to Tell Us your version of windows!

• urlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And remember to Tell Us your version of windows!

Aspire One D270
    AOD270-1865 ( LU.SGD0D.033 )
    248 USD
    Windows 7 Starter - Intel Atom Processor Dual-Core N2600 (1.6GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB) - 1GB DDR3 SDRAM - 320GB hard drive - 10.1" WSVGA CrystalBrite LCD display (1024 x 600) - Intel GMA 3600 - Mobile Intel NM10 Express chipset - webcam - multigesture touchpad - 802.11b/g/n - 10/100 LAN - Multi-in-1 card reader - HDMI - USB - 3-cell battery - 1-year limited warranty. Color: aquamarine blue

• emma
    11 years ago

Raven I hope you don't mind me asking what of computer did you buy?

• Elmer J Fudd
    11 years ago

Re genes' suggestion, you may not need to buy an external drive.

Many PCs, especially netbooks, have a built-in recovery function. Manufacturers recognize the benefits of squirreling away, in a protected part of the hard drive, all files needed to return the machine to "fresh out of the box" condition. (Doing so avoids customer complaints and the cost and hassle of supplying disks.) Such a utility, if present, would be invoked with a few keystrokes at boot-up. Your netbook may have it as delivered, check the user manual.

A complete wipe and start again process should rarely if ever be needed anyway.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Emma this is it

Here is a link that might be useful: Pc

• genes
    11 years ago

Re:snidley's suggestion which is a well and good, but if the HD craps out, the partition with the recovery will do you no good..If the option is available, make the recovery disks

• urlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I had planned on buying a DVD drive to also use to install a couple of programs I have discs for.

Thanks!

• emma
    11 years ago

Thank you Raven, Nice and a very good deal. I love HP and always order the restore CDs. They are my safety net.

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

You might want to think about using DropBox being you have no simple remote backup capabilties.
    DropBox is kind of a simple way to have an online backup of your Documents/Pictures,or more,,, for when you do have to reinstall that original image or have drive failure.

Then you just reinstall dropbox..give a high five to your screen.. all those files magically reappear.

Plus if you delete something you need, you can go look at recent deletes at your drop box. Docs/pics/etc, always available from any online computer, if you remember your login = Very handy when I'm on somebody else's computer.

Here is a link that might be useful: DropBox (referal = u&i gets extra free space)

• Elmer J Fudd
    11 years ago

"Re:snidley's suggestion which is a well and good, but if the HD craps out, the partition with the recovery will do you no good."

If I had a drive die in a netbook or laptop, and if the machine were young enough to be worth resuscitating, I'd send it to the manufacturer's service center. No need for recovery disks.

What would you do?

• urlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had trouble with Photobucket not loading and was going to post this a few days ago along with another of all what's on that netbook.
    I tried to see if would upload now and did, so I will put here to see if works.
    I did uninstall more off of what you see here.
    {{gwi:1494095}}

• genes
    11 years ago

Why have a service center replace a HDD in a laptop or notebook..either by using the built in software to make your own recovery disks or the option of buying from the manufacturer for some models, the cost is about $20 for purchase if avail..to make them the cost of the DVDs...its a simple process. I have done it with several laptops/notebooks over the years for various reasons and still have all my recovery disks for every laptop/notebook I still own

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

urlee you can use the pc decrapifier to remove these items
    fooz kids fooz kids platform google toolbar and chrome (unless you want them)McAfee ,the microsoft office trials, news express, nook, norton online backup, skype (unless you want it) and ebay worldwide, acer games, bing bar, evernote.
    many of those are just trials anyway.

I would leave the rest alone, you can research some others and see what they entail such as identity card, my win locker suite.

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

More memory will make it zippy probably.. I just scanned my laptop at crucial.com .. 38 dollars delivers 2- 4gb =8gb :) Memory prices there seem down .. paid 25 dollars for 4gb delivered from there about april.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acer Aspire video / replace memory/hard drive

• urlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Raven THANK you so much for your reply above.
    I had already removed the fooz kids, McAfee, Acer games, Norton online, after that graphic was saved to post when I couldn't upload it.
    I shall remove some of what you have mentioned.
    I did install Chrome so that is probably why that is shown there.

Mikie, I shall read your link after this send. I was wondering if more memory could be added to that little gem to give it a boost? Thanks.

YAY PB is working so I can post this graphic. I didn't do that yet as I was wondering if it was going to call for a disc to put it on.
    {{gwi:1494096}}

• grandms
    11 years ago

Yes, Urlee, you do have a recovery partition. However, as pointed out earlier, if your hard drive should die, you would have lost that, so making the discs is really a no-brainer IMHO.

• urlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What the heck happened to my image above? Photobucket screw up again?
    Yes, grandms, I had intended on the disc way but have to find where and what drive to buy. Was looking to buy the Lite-On ETAU208-46 or the LG GP10NB20. Any suggestions appreciated.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I personally would go with the lite-on they have been in that biz for a long time and I have purchased their products all with good results.
    That should get you able to burn your dvd discs and able to install software from discs.

• urlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Raven.
    I appreciated that so much!
    Way back, I ordered a Lite-On internal drive for my windows 98 machine and had no problem with it so that sounds good.