Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
External Drive for Netbook

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 11:56

I was reading a message string @ http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/comphelp/msg091209103627.html?18
regarding a netbook where it was recommended to purchase an external drive in order to burn CDs for recovery discs.

I have an Acer Aspire One and would like to make recovery discs, as well as to load some software onto the netbook.

I have tried researching what I need to purchase for those simple needs/desire, but I am afraid that there are so many kinds available that I am no more knowledgeable than I was before and am very confused.

Recommendations, please, please, please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: External Drive for Netbook

Here's one in the link provided, there's an 800 # you can call to if you have questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: adorama

o

Thanks, Zep.

o

all you need to make sure of is that it is a usb plug in, that it will read and BURN DVD's if it does it will most likely also do various other things including CDs.
They are not very expensive, I picked one up on clearance at Staples for under $20.
There are many out there that are only players not burners since you will want to use it to make your discs you need one that also burns.

use this search string on google to find lots of results
usb external cd dvd rw burner drive for laptop netbook

some will require an ac adapter some not, for the most portable you want one that does not, some will require use of 2 usb ports to help power it, if it will be mostly used at home getting one that has both options would be best so you can plug it into power when you are home and use only usb power when traveling.

If you have windows 7 starter on your netbook be aware you do not have a media player on that OS you will need to download and install a media player, I like VLC free.

In general it is simply plug and play that easy plug in the usb cord and start using it.

the x in the number such as 8x or 6x or 12x is the speed it will write to DVD or CD. the bigger the faster not really that important unless you will be doing a lot of burning.
You may run into some that also use blu ray format which means they will play and or burn to blu ray discs and will be much more expensive.

Here is a search from newegg that gives you a lot of choices and some great user reviews of the models, I love newegg for the reviews and I have ordered from them many times.

Here is a link that might be useful: newegg

o

that one in the link zep provided gives no info at all and I am not sure if it is a burner or just a reader??

o

Nice selection at NewEgg.. they are nice fast shippers and known for good prices.

or your local office depot or staples, bestbuy... all should have. But prices not quite so good sometimes.

Here is a link that might be useful: NewEgg,, some ship free

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here