SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Win sp3 wants to update twice??

chas045
10 years ago

I have an old Dell Inspiron 8200 with A fully loaded hard drive that must have come from a corporate web designer. It had not been used since 2006. See 'Old laptop won't connect to linksys E1000 router' thread if you want to suffer extra details. It only had sp2.

A tech friend and I began downloading security updates from our local church wi-fi and later I connected the laptop to an ethernet connection and completed the first pack of updates. That required a reboot. Then Security Update continued and I downloaded sp3. It completed and I rebooted and it shows as installed. I believe that after that, several extra old updates and then a couple of just issued updates came up and I automatically installed them.

However, two days ago, Security Update listed sp3 as needing installation. I cancelled it, but not surprisingly, when a few more new updates came along yesterday, there was sp3 waiting to be installed. I again cancelled sp3 and a couple of the other updates that didn't pertain to my products, but started downloading the other just issued updates. I believe the first update was the monthly Removal Tool. After an unusually long period, the initiation had finished but the Completion Bar continued to sit at zero. I left it running overnite but in the morning the computer appeared to have hung. I did a hard shutdown; rebooted ok; and after reboot, security update did say the system needed a reboot for updates to take effect so I guess something got downloaded. The removal tool was no longer in the update list, but the other three updates (or coinsidently exactly three new ones) were still waiting to be downloaded along with sp3 of course.

Perhaps the potentially hung download was just a onetime glitch but I really need to know what to do about the sp3 thing. I suppose I could hook the computer back to the ethernet and let it run again, but I wonder if it will just want to keep doing it. The 5 regular updates and sp3 are 52 mb in size. Perhaps that is just a partial sp3? I didn't pay attention when I first downloaded it.

Thoughts?

Comments (2)