Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Vista Drivers

Posted by cricketm (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 10:35

I have a Dell Laptop with Vista.....

My question is : When I went to visit a video the following show up a couple of times...........

"Windows Vista Drivers
Windows Vista driver Downloads Microsoft Certified (Recommended)
Windows-Vista Driver Update.net"

Do I have to update my Windows-Vista Driver? My laptop is working very well and I keep it uptodate with Windows Update...Do I need to do the above?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Vista Drivers

I bought a new PC with Vista when it first came out and never had to update drivers. Things have changed a lot since then so it maybe different now. Someone will be along to advise you. I feel if it is all working I leave it alone, except for windows updates of course.

o

Rather than a driver it may be more of a newer codec needed for the video than Vista has available. Driver updates tend to be for targeted fixes or an upgrade to compatibility with a new O/S. They are normally not an expansion of capability or additional features.

Like E I have had my Vista system for years and have yet to find a need to update a driver.

DA

o

I have never updated a driver either..

o

I'm not suggesting your situation is anything like this but it kinda reminds me of those "OMG" type video links posted on Facebook that take you to a page where you're presented with what looks like a video player except it really isn't. Try to play the video and you get a message that informs you that to play the video you need to install a different codec. Except of course you don't really need a different codec, they're just trying to trick you into allowing it to install... whatever it wants.

Just my suspicion though, I don't really know. The URL of the site could possibly help if you're willing and able to share it.

o

Thank you all for your valuable input....I never had to update a driver on my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with Vista Windows either . I have had this computer since May 2008 and keep it uptodate ...so far no problems.........

chuggeerguy....it has been when I wanted to view a video that was posted on Facebook...

Here is one that I remember: http://fikklefame.com/clay-and-arsenio-on-wendy-williams/

Thanks again...Computer Forum Posters are the best!

o

I have no idea then. Perhaps I really am just too suspicious.

The site doesn't have a WOT rating, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. Sucuri SiteCheck(can't vouch for it) seems to think it's fine: http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/fikklefame.com/clay-and-arsenio-on-wendy-williams/

The only video I see on the page is Flash, which I assume you already have? Can you play the video? It's just a Youtube video.

Still... I personally would be very leery of any site that told me I need to update a Windows driver to play a video.

Maybe it was a pop-up ad for a driver updater?

Well, I'd better quit guessing, I don't really know.

o

Chuggerguy, Yes, I was able to play the video... I think it was a pop-up for a driver update. But, I did not download it....

o

I suspect you used good judgement. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here