Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AVG 2012 Upgrade

Posted by damccoy (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 11 at 9:45

I do not recall seeing any report on this so it is worthwhile sharing with AVG users as there are so many occurrences of notifying pop up windows being fraudulent.

On September 1, 2011, AVG Free Edition 2012.0.1796 was released followed by AVG Free Edition 2012.0.1808 on September 23, 2011. As common practice AVG spreads the upgrade through its normal update service. This is done so as not to overload their servers.

My notice came today after a normal database update by announcement via an appearing popup window on the Desktop. The upgrade was 52.9MB and typical in installation. During the process there was one window offering optional AVG Search along with the AVG Toolbar so watch for it.

The upgrade required a reboot and a fresh database download of 20MB.

All and all no muss, no fuss.

DA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AVG 2012 Upgrade

Hey, DA! Love those words "no muss no fuss" However...

I was just looking into this for my Wxp, and am concerned about AVG's link scanner. When I upgraded my FF browser yesterday, it disabled the link scanner in my old AVG, saying it was incompatable with the new browser. I'm wondering if it will still be incompatable when I upgrade AVG. Am I going to have to choose between FF and AVG?????

Thanks
J

o

I personally am not aware of any conflict. You could just disable it. I only use the AV feature so all other offerings are disabled.

DA

o

J said "During the process there was one window offering optional AVG Search along with the AVG Toolbar so watch for it. "

I ended up with it even though I didn't notice an option to opt out. After I realized what happened, I checked in the control panel but it lists the entire program only.

Anyone know how I can get rid of it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here