SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Physical Switch to turn off touchpad, who knew?

jerry_nj
10 years ago

Yesterday my 6 month old Gateway W8 17" Laptop suddenly stopped responding to the touch pad (called ELAN in the Device Manager Dialog box of Mouse). I used the keyboard to shut down, reboot gave no change, the ELAN did not move, or even show, a pointer.

I hooked up my wireless mouse and it worked fine. I entered the Mouse dialog and "unclicked" the disable ELAN when mouse is plugged in.. still no ability to use the ELAN.

I contacted Gateway Chat, got a fast response, within a minute and after a few minutes of explanation followed by a few minutes (under 5) of off-line research the tech came back and told me to "toggle" the ELAN. I replied: "What is a toggle".. well that took another couple of minutes of research by the tech (at least I must not be guilty of not reading instructions) and he said "operate F6".. I did and the ELAN returned to normal operation. Who knew??? Even the tech had to do a couple of minutes research... SO I SHARE IT HERE.

This may be unique to Gateway but I suspect it is at the OS level, that is at the W8 level and the Device Manager application...but, WHO KNOWS, I don't.

Hope my learning is of some value to others.

While we all prefer trouble free operation, Great Technical Support is the next best thing. That is why I usually come here, but this time I went to Gateway as the computer is still under warranty.

For Gatewatey: A+, Great, fast, polite experience in my case yesterday.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz