SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

Optional Windows Updates

dee_can1
11 years ago

Hi, with regard to Windows Optional Updates (for Vista), I'm never really sure which ones I should update - and, I've actually never downloaded optional updates, ever. For instance, there are a few Ricoh optional updates pending, but I don't think I use Ricoh programs or software on my PC, so I haven't updated those, and I'm pretty sure that's a good decision.

But there are a couple that I'm not sure if I should update like, Intel driver update for Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Download size: 1.7 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

This driver was provided by Intel for support of Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN;

or,

Microsoft Silverlight (KB2636927)

Download size: 6.6 MB

Microsoft Silverlight is a Web browser plug-in for Windows and Mac OS X that delivers high quality video/audio, animation, and richer Website experiences in popular Web browsers.

or, Windows Live Essentials 2011 (KB2434419)

Download size: 2.5 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Do more with Windows on your PC with free programs from Microsoft for photos, movies, instant messaging, email, social networking, and more. Get it all in one simple download.

Windows Live Essentials includes Messenger, Photo Gallery, Mail, Movie Maker, Writer, Family Safety, and Windows Live Mesh, plus Bing Bar, Messenger Companion, Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector, Microsoft Outlook Social Connector Provider for Windows Live Messenger, and Microsoft Silverlight.

Installing this update will replace your Windows Live Toolbar with Bing Bar.

I'm pretty sure I don't want Windows Live Essentials, the Bing Bar doesn't thrill me. ; ) How do you decide which ones to update - which ones might enhance my computer performance (or not)? Thanks for any advice. : )

Comments (40)