Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help please.42 inch plasma television. which one.?

Posted by ellie45 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 3:27

I'm stuck. Help. Have old technology but must go to flat screen and am scared to go out without a good review from you all. I live in Wash, Dc area and BB is out, HHgregg also get terrible rviews, Sears gets bad review.

At least if I have the right television I may be able to plug it into Comcast DVR which is dead. The second Comcast box box in one week.They will come and look at it and replace but I need to buy a new television although I am happy with my old Sony with no regrets.
read PC World and they have good HDTV for over a $1,000. closer to $2,000. PC Mag has not reviewed the latest pics. Can I get something (not 3d) that is strong in the market now and will last? I chose 42 in and plasma from hersay. It is about the right size. Need it by Thursday if possible when comcast is supposed to look at my Xfinity box. Ravencajun is quite sick and as I admire her I wouldn't bother her.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help please.42 inch plasma television. which one.?

I wouldn't make any choice based on "hearsay". I have 2 Samsung that I like very well...both are LCD. BB is no better-no worse than any other retailer. Just don't let them pressure you into buying an extended warranty unless you want one.

o

After much research and shopping last spring I purchased a 46 inch LCD Samsung from Best Buy. Almost a $1,000. No problems. No regrets. No complaints.

DA

o

belmont tv. Three locations in the DC area. Or costco, but you're on your own with the choices.

o

We have a 40" Sony LCD that's now almost 3 years old. Prices have really dropped in that time. If I were to consider a plasma at all, it would be Panasonic, but I prefer the thinness of LCD which also use less electricity.

o

Cnet is another source on online TV reviews. Amazon sells TV's as well, you might want to check out reader reviews there as well.

I have a Panasonic 50" plasma and can't say a bad thing about it.

o

Forgot to post that my research showed you should not use a second generation plasma in a room which receives a lot of outside light. My bay window faces the south so plasma though nice was not a consideration.

DA

o

I have a 42 inch Phillips, it automatically adjusts the picture to the right size. Later I bought a 37 inch LG, it has the ability to soften the background noises and that is great. The place I bought mine is a local store. They recommended Phillips the first time but when I went back to buy another one they no longer recommended it because Phillips had been sold.

o

Hi Ellie! I am back.
Here is what I have and I do love it and would also recommend it. I have a 58" Samsung Plama and I got it from Costco for an excellent price. I would do the same thing over again since we have been so happy with it. I chose the plasma over LCD because of my research but that was just my choice.
Have not had a minutes problem with it.

o

Forgot to post that my research showed you should not use a second generation plasma in a room which receives a lot of outside light. My bay window faces the south so plasma though nice was not a consideration.
DA

I sure know what you are saying there DA. I purchased a 50" plasma Mitsubishi 10 years ago which I love BUT, I have been fighting against reflections since. Have to have the shades of my South side windows down.
As much as I hate the widescreen TV sets you have to buy nowadays, I sure will welcome a thinner set as this one is a monster on wheels but I LOVE the square screen.

o

that was one of the main reasons I went with the Samsung plasma that I got, it was advertised not to have issues with sunlight and they are so right, the room it is in has one entire wall of floor to ceiling windows that have no blinds or drapes on them and we have never had any problem at all with the tv viewing. The latest versions of plasmas are just so much better than the old ones, almost totally new technology.
I was worried about those windows big time.
I was also wanting the plasma due to the ease of cleaning the screen unlike the LCD and it has been extremely easy to keep clean.

o
Can I install it myself it myself.?

First of all, Ravencajun is back. That is just great. I was looking for you today on another site while sipping my coffee.
I would like that Samsung plasma in my bedroom and need a smaller one.
Costco is a good name and I will buy it there if
I can (are there directions on line) install it myself to the DVR, DVD, VCR. I follow directions well on technical stuff. I need 2 please. Oy.

Damcoy, Is your television a new one? If so, may I have the model number or the series number. The info about too much sun is a very important tip and consideration in my den. Thanks.

o

Here you go Ellie.

Samsung 46 inch LCD Model # LN46C630 purchased at Best Buy on 12/31/10 for $899.99 plus tax. It turned out to be the Consumer Reports "best buy" in their 2011 Buyers Guide. There might be a little different model number for the current year, but a little research will resolve that. Also, be advised it is a smart TV which is really convenient when connecting peripherals.

Absolutely no complaints here. Also, my daughter in New Jersey just called for the pertinent information as she and her husband liked mine so much during their summer visit they want to buy one.

Good luck! Enjoy!

DA

o

'Ere we go. This is a 3 minute Youtube video on the TV that DA appears to have.

o

Thanks ever so much damcoy for the extra time you gave me. This rating seems to be consistant in the next one, the D630, and at a lower price.
I can hook it up myself with the info you gave me and owbist as well.
Didn't know I could see the model on youtube. This is great insight for me.

One Samsung plasma and one Samsung LCD. I may pass out.

I like to say the word Samsung very quickly and bow. It looks and sounds like I am saying thank you in Korean - perhaps?

Ok,'ere we go you smarties. Samsung!!

o

Ellie it is amazing how many 'howto' videos are on Youtube these days and the variety of subjects covered is amazing. They go from home and house repairs and maintenance to the exotic.

o

Ellie,

My understanding is the alpha character C and D, is the model year designator.

Also, Google "plasma versus LCD" (sans quotes). I did that when I was researching, and a lot of helpful information became available for both sides of the discussion.

DA

o

damcoy, I do understand the C year model is probably not available to me nor the review although I did not look.I must do that.

I will look at the plasma vs LCD articles. Since ravencajun found a Samsung plasma she liked, although I don't have the model number, and you found a good one I am staying near those reviews. Truthfully, I never had a bad television nor did my parents. Mine are 13 years old. One is a Sony the other is a Phillips with 2 tuners (It used to be a good name.)They work very well. Big box stores will carry bad televisions along with the good ones. Price is no barometer. Sales people have no shame. Just odd to realize (over and over again) companies do not manufacture and sell products that have been researched and developed with pride.
I am glad to have this forum with good folks who reach out and spend time helping. The same names are consistently on board. Would give back gladly if I could.
Thank you.

o

Ellie,

I don't know if you have made your selection, but here are the top three in the current Consumer Reports "Best Product of the Year":

LCD 46 to 47 inches

LG 47LV5500 $1,080
LG 47LK530 $1,000
Samsung UN46D6300 $1,150

LCD 40 to 42 inches

Samsung UN40C5000 $800
LG 42LK520 $635
LG 42LV3700 $8754

Plasma 42 inches

Panasonic Viera TC-P42S30 $630
Panasonic Viera TC-P42X3 $500
(only two named)

The new full ratings will be out in the December issue of CR which will be available about this time next month.

DA

P.S. Still love my Samsung :)

o

Urlee,

I caught it before you did.

"LG 42LV3700 $8754" should read $875.

DA

o

Damcoy, that was super of you to type all of that out.
Honestly, and you have it in my price range and size I want.

I don't get CR so I am so happy you thought of me.
I have not gotten them yet. I waited to see what the cost of my car repair would be. It's $200. That is a nice gift.

I know you love your Samsung and I like all things Samsung, it seems. too. Thank you. I will pass your kindness forward. Samsung to you.

o

Ellie if it helps you can purchase a copy of the new CR at Lowes.

DA

o

Urlee,
I caught it before you did.

Ooooops, Sorry sweetheart. I guess am not much help to you am I? Please do not fire me yet.
Waited for you to show up in a forum I seldom hear from U in, as I posted a word that is not in my old beat up dictionary but is in a newer paperback I use downstairs.
See if you can find my post.
Hint:Slinglink Turbo

o

This may be of help to decide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info

o
RE:$$$$$ Help please.42 inch plasma television. which one.?

Wow! $$$$$

Here is a link that might be useful: Top 10

o

urlee, thanks a lot for the articles. I can see that no one agrees but I like the fact that you think I am wealthy and might enjoy considering a 65" screen. Yikes. For the sake of argument, are the upper-priced televisions more techically advanced, better quality (glass screens and remote features, pips) and futuristic, as in using them as a computer screen, or are they just big?

The comments from the readers were interesting though.
Kididlehopper quips:
"You have a tv that says "unexceptional image quality and average sound" and that is listed on you(r) top 10 list? You people need to get a grip."
It made me laugh. Good point Clem.

Samsung brings its prices down after Christmas do they. Good to know.

Thanks, again.

o

"LOL" ellie,
I didn't mean for you to buy those $$$$. I just wanted you to know what is out there to get an idea of we are in for.
I like big, but would have to get a "Sugar Daddy" to be able to be so lucky to have one of those. (Sorry guys, but I couldn't resist.)
I never have and never could have a guy just to spend his hard earned money on me like that.
I have to settle for the price range you are in too.

o

Urlee, it sounds like you put a guy on a budget when it comes to gifts.This is something I have to think about.

Just kidding. You sound like you are a nice person.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here