Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transferring files from old PC to new one

Posted by bevj7 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 1:14

Help please. I have Vista 32 bit on my old machine. The new one has windows 7, 64 bit. I haven't ever done a transfer. Can it be done by someone who is not (me) really PC smart? Would I be better off to pay someone to do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transferring files from old PC to new one

Sure you can do it, get a flash drive or external hard drive, plug it into the old pc, select the files and folders you want to copy to the new one right click on them and select the drive letters for the flash drive or external drive. Then plug that drive into the new pc and copy them from it to the new pc select where you want them to go.

If you were to set up a network with
ith both of them it would be very easy too.
Or you can try using the windows easy transfer tool it's built in to 7,but you can install it on vista too, you can google for that, this link tells about this.

y easy too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy transfer

o
RE: Transferring files from old PC to new one

Yes using the "Easy transfer" that Raven linked to is as easy as it was for you to write the message above asking for help.

Start on the new computer and just follow the instructions and you will have everything important transferred AND put in place for you including your wallpaper.

o
Update RE: Transferring files from old PC to new one

Thank you for your help. I finally had the time to set my new computer up yesterday. So far, so good except for a noisy fan. I will call for service tomorrow.:) TG for warranties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here