Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
boot order change in BIOS

Posted by iris_gal (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 13, 10 at 0:32

I made a persistent USB device (Ubunto) and want to change the boot order on my notebook. But I don't understand the warning about the ! items. If I move ! USB Floppy to the top position am I going to be unable to boot? Don't understand what is meant by USB Diskette on key/USB Hard Disk either. Win7-64bit

Boot Order in my BIOS:

Notebook Hard Drive
Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive
USB Diskette on key/USB Hard Disk
! USB Floppy
! Network Adapter

The boot capability will
be disabled if the
Device with the
exclamation mark.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: boot order change in BIOS

Just move the USB hard drive to the top of the list. You probably don't have a floppy drive or bootable network card.

Even if you make a mistake you'll be able to change it back.

o

What the whole thing means, is right now, when the computer boots, it goes to the HD which is at the top of the list and where your Operating system is...when you change the order of the boot ie to USB floppy, that goes to the top of the list and the computer is looking there for an operating system. If there isnt one present, it wont boot until you go back into the BIOS and put it back to the HD at the top of the list..Hope that made sense

o

Thanks, it does make sense. Now I'll have the courage to try it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here