Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buy new, compatible, or replacement toner cartridge?

Posted by abreeze (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 23:37

This is my first toner purchase for a laser printer (Brother HL-2280dw). Since it has given me the "toner is low" warning, I'm pondering what type of cartridge (TN450) to buy. Which do you buy for your laser printers? Do you prefer buying the new, original brand or have you had success with either a compatible or a replacement cartridge? I would greatly appreciate your recommendations. Thank you.

abreeze

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buy new, compatible, or replacement toner cartridge?

Hi abreeze,

I also have a brother and getting the "low warning." I don't stray from original brand and would recommend sticking with it.

I found yours on Amazon for a good price too! That's where I'll be getting mine soon.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: TN450

o

I have never had that happen yet since I don't print much but I would probably stick with the original brand listed in my manual.

o

I read to take out the toner cartridge and shake it up when the low toner warning starts... Then its good to go a while longer.

o

Usually a good idea to stick with the replacement item specified by the manufacturer of the printer. At least until the warranty is finished.

o

If your toner cartridge is anything like our networked copying machine (copy/printer) before you shake the cartridge put it in a plastic bag and close it.

DA

o

I used a HP Laserjet 6 for many years - until I decided I needed a networked printer so I could print from my laptop without leaving my desktop on all the time. Compatible toner cartridges were much cheaper than the HP cartridges and I used them with no problems. I have the same Brother printer you have now and don't see enough difference in what Amazon sells the Brother cartridges for and compatible ones to make me consider using the compatibles in it. I find that I have quite a while before I run out of toner after the warning first shows up.

o

"Usually a good idea to stick with the replacement item specified by the manufacturer of the printer. At least until the warranty is finished."

Have you read on a warranty card that use of a third party cartridge voids the warranty?

o

by the way hidden in the book for my brother I found this info
if the color toner reaches end of life choosing mono will allow you to keep printing as long as black toner is available.
this is on teh print preferences pop up

o

Thanks to all who shared. It was very helpful...

o

I followed Joe's link and bought the TN450 from Amazon. Some of the reviewers expressed disappointment in the product, but I took a chance and ordered it. It arrived in a brand new Brother TN450 box and appears authentic. I installed it this morning, and it's working fine.

o

My HP printer's ink cartridge lasts a long time after the warning. I stick with HP's cartridges. When I was at Office Max I asked a customer if he had tried their replacement for HP. He said he had bought two of theirs and had to bring both back for a refund. It would only save me $10 off of $50. Wasn't worth it to me. One printer I bought had a lot of color cartridges instead of just one. When one was empty the printer wouldn't work at all. I got rid of it because I could not find a way to print in black. The next printed wouldn't print in black either or so I thought. Finally a clerk told me they should all print in black, just keep looking for the option. It was well hidden but I found it. Black ink only was under gray scale or something like that.

o

I tried aftermarkets for my HPs without success.

Personally I believe the greatest tool for extending cartridge life is user discipline. If a user establishes firm usage protocols focused on what's necessary and what's not, and sticks with them cartridges go much farther. Off the top of my head, i.e.,

Is the print necessary?
Does it have to be in color?
Can it be in greyscale?
Does it have to be the whole page? (use of utilities such as SnipIt and SureShot)
Does a photo's settings have to be "best"?

DA

o

DA this is a 20 month old thread. Obviously someone had spammed here and it got removed.

o

Indeed, an antique thread resurrected. A number of misdirected answers, the OP was talking about a Brother monochromatic (ie black/gray) laser printer.

Most laser toner cartridges are good for thousands of copies. Third party compatible toner cartridges bought from a reliable source (Staples, Office Max, etc) are excellent and cheap.

A home/non business user who prints things frivolously is unlikely to have to spend much money on replacement toner cartridges. I've suggested before, I think it's much cheaper and easier to make the occasionally required color copies/prints/photos at Fed Ex or drug stores than to struggle with color ink jets at home. Or, for someone who frequently makes a small number of color pages, have a laser for daily use and restrict the color printer to color pages. All this equipment is cheap, it's the ink jet cartridges that are ridiculously expensive.

o

Duh! Thanks!

I saw Emma's post and the 27 in the date. I thought it was yesterday. Way too many hours at work, and not enough sleep. I was out to the wee hours of the morning this time.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here