SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thirdfrt

Does anyone know about itunes and Quicktime?

thirdfrt
11 years ago

Hi,

I hope I can explain this.

I have Windows XPSP3 on my desktop. I just purchased a new Laptop with windows 7. The tech guys networked my desktop to my laptop and added my stuff to the laptop.

I have itunes and Quicktime on my XP machine but I only have itunes on my laptop. The version for itunes in XP is 10.6 and the version for Quicktime is 7.6.9 year is 2010. The itune version on Windows 7 is also 10.6.

Here's my problem. I can play all of my music midi files in itunes on windows XP but I cannot play them in Windows 7. I get a message telling me that it is unable to play the video without Quicktime. It's not a video it is Music. I don't understand why it is saying that. Now if I download Quicktime, which version should I download the newest one or the 7.6.9 version. I am thinking I should download the same version 7.6.9 that I have so it will stay compatible with the one that I have on XP.

Then I thought I could take those Midi songs from itunes and put them in a folder, but in all of my searches it seems that I can't do that. So that's out.

So how do I get itunes in windows 7 to play my midi songs?

Hope I explained it OK.

Thanks a bunch!

thirdfrt!!!

Comments (43)

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

Install on Win7 the current version of QuickTime direct from Apple website. Quicktime plays video ,,,, & music too

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you mikie,

That is the newest version for QuickTime and I could install that on my new Windows 7 machine, but will it be compatible with the older version that I have in Windows XP or does it matter? I don't have much of an understanding about networking my XP desktop to my Windows 7 Laptop. That is how they got all of my songs into Windows 7, they took it from Windows XP.

I guess what I really am asking is does it make any difference if I have two different versions? XP having one version and Windows 7 having the newest version? Will it still play the songs?

thirdfrt!!!

• Related Discussions

Does anyone know anything about OTA (over the air) TV antennas?

Q

Comments (19)
    I have a $20 1x1 brand, which looks like the Leaf and RCA - just a notebook sized piece of flexible vinyl. It does have to sit in the window to get all of the local stations (because of the room site and where I want the TV in the room. Absolutely easy to connect and then have the TV scan for channels. MarilynC, you might like to have a Roku. No continuing fees beyond the initial purchase (anywhere from $25 and up, depending on the model - I have the cheapest and it meets all my needs.) Roku offers lots of free streaming channels, including news channels that would include Houston. Of course, they also offer other channels for a subscription price, which mostly run $5-6/month. Right now I am paying for Curiosity Stream and Acorn; for July & August I paid for Peacock Premium so that I could watch the Tour de France, The Tour of Spain, and some of the Olympics.
    ...See More

Does anyone know anything about Forté gas range?

Q

Comments (4)
    Complete and utter junk. As are all of the ”budget” ranges. The lowest that you want to go forcreliabilityband ability would be Kitchenaid, Monogram, or Bluestar. Plus the same budget as the range for the venting system and required make up air system. You cannot srparate the teo in the budget. If your busget nax id 4K, thats a 30” GE Profile range, and a lower CFM hood that won’t trigger the requirements for MUA. But it will be overwhelmed at the more challenging cooking sessons.
    ...See More

Does anyone know anything about Eagle Creek floors!?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello, We are looking into Conner LVP by Eagle Creek Floors. Does anyone have any information, job pictures or reviews on this!? Any information can be of help :) Thanks!
    ...See More

Does anyone know much about Taracea furniture?

Q

Comments (0)
    I obtained two pretty amazing end tables, supposedly one of a kind (both are unique) by a company named Taracea. My understanding is that these can be quite valuable (to a guy like me anyway!). Anyone know anything about them? They have been unresponsive to my emails.
    ...See More
  • mikie_gw
    11 years ago

Any QT program.

Will play the sound or video files from any windows 3, 95, 98, WinME, xp, vista, win7 .. or any version of windows... or even if the files were from an Apple or Linux/Unix computer.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank You mikie,

Just wanted to make sure before I downloaded it. I really appreciate your help.

thirdfrt!!!

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mikie it works in my windows 7 now I have an issue with Quicktime not being able to update it. How do I remove the old quicktime and reinstall the new one on my windows XP machine. Do I just go to add/remove programs and delete the older version then install the newest version? If there is anything that I need to know about the uninstall please let me know.

Thanks a bunch!

thirdfrt!!!

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

Uninstall it with the Add/Remove in Control panel.. should remove it just fine. Or if you already have RevoUninstaller, use it.

Then a reboot is a good idea, before downloading/installing the latest version from the Apple site.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks mikie, I do have RevoUninstaller on my desktop but not sure how to use it. How do I know that I am getting everything that is associated with quicktime? I wouldn't want to remove something else thinking it was a part of quicktime and find out later that I goofed. How do I know what to remove?

• shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
    11 years ago

Personally, I uninstalled QuickTime because I got sick of being offered updates and other Apple proprietary stuff.

Installed the free VideoLan, which opens every format I need, including QT (and quite a few others I've never heard of/needed.)

Regards,
    Shax

Here is a link that might be useful: VLC Media Player

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

I always use the most Advanced method on RevoUninstaller, unless its a browser that I want to save bookmarks.. or a Microsoft product. Then 'select all' it finds and delete it. Seems to always work with no problems!

VLC is nice,, but I have never liked all their striped cone brightly colorful icons. For that reason alone, I dont use it.

• emma
    11 years ago

I have an Ipod and installed itunes as recommended. I have always had a problem figuring out Window Media player I never activate it anymore. Itunes was so simple to learn I need quick time for it.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi,

I think I am stuck. I am unable to remove quick Time from my Windows XP desktop. I get a message that says The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Quick Time.msi'in the box below.

Below that message it has Use source: C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings

Since the techs networked this computer to my Laptop I am thinking that is why it won't remove it. I have no idea what to do at this point. Quick Time works it just won't update from my Windows XP Machine, it was that way before I got my Laptop.

I can live with it the way that it is but, I have noticed that the Quick Time icon is showing up on my System Tray. I am leaving this part of it because I found the solution on how to get it off of the system tray. I right clicked on the icon and found where it had a check mark in putting the icon in the system tray. I removed the check mark and it left the system tray. Now that problem is solved "Smiles"

Why is it if you have one computer networked to another that you can't delete things from the host computer which I think would be my desktop Windows XP? I just wanted to replace the old Quick Time with the newest one. Networking confuses me.

thirdfrt!!!

• zep516
    11 years ago

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

That's a windows installer error / issue.

and may have nothing to do with Networking.

Quick Time.msi That's the clue .msi ----> Microsoft Installer or windows installer.

Reinstalling Quicktime right over top of it may help, or running the Windows installer clean up utility.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi zip,

I have done some checking and I can't find the Quick Time.msi at all. I did a search for it. So If I tried installing the new quick time would it reinstall that? I can install everything else. So I am thinking it has something to do with quick time. I don't know what happened. Where is the Windows installer clean up utility in Windows XPSP3? I would need specific instructions on how to get there and what to do please. Thank you!

• zep516
    11 years ago

I don't want to run the windows installer cleanup up utility yet, only as a last resort. The msi is missing probably and that's why it wont uninstall. I would just reinstall quicktime, and we will go from there.

Joe

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

fwiw
    Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi mikie,

Am I missing something here? It seems to me that is information on how to remove itunes not quick time.

It has been storming here for the last two days and I need time to do this. I have a Doctors appointment today and it looks like it's going to start storming again today. I think it is suppose to let up by tomorrow then I can concentrate on trying the things you have recommended. When the weather is like this I shut down my computer and unplug it to protect it. I just wanted you to know that I am not hedging about doing this, I just want the time to do it and I am never on the computer when it is storming. I hope you understand. I will be back.

thirdfrt!!!

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

I expand all the info on that page and read it quickly... one thing caught my eye and made me wonder hmmm.....

Important: Uninstalling these components in a different order, or only uninstalling some of these components may have unintended effects.

• owbist
    11 years ago

Mickie don't you feel that this is mostly a scare tactic to get us to keep the software?

I have successfully ignored those warnings - so far at least.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok I am back,

If uninstalling would be a problem then what Joe recommended Installing on top of the old sounds better. My version on this XP desktop is 7.6.9. The newest one is the 7.7.2. Question: Since .msi is missing should I download the older version of 7.6.9 to get it back before I would download the 7.7.2 version or would it matter?

• zep516
    11 years ago

Does matter, please install the latest 7.7.2 version. Let me know how it goes..

Joe

Here for a few hours.....back an forth

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Joe,

Do I have to remove the older version from add/remove programs before I download the new version or will the new version do that for me? Please let me know then, I am going to try to down load it. I will be waiting for your reply. Thanks.

• zep516
    11 years ago

I was under the impression that you were unable to remove Quicktime, from your post below:

I think I am stuck. I am unable to remove quick Time from my Windows XP desktop. I get a message that says The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Quick Time.msi'in the box below.

So that is why I recommend to install the new Quicktime right over top, that's what I would do. If your "able" to uninstall Quicktime then go ahead and do that and reinstall the latest version. If you can't uninstall Quicktime just reinstall it over top.

Joe

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh that's right. My mistake, I have had a lot on my mind trying to deal with a doctor and him trying to give me a medicine that is out right dangerous. I'm not taking it after talking with my primary doctor. So I just forgot and if I wrote that then it won't let me and now that you brought it up I remember now. I'm so sorry that I threw you a curve there. OK I will go now and try to install the new one and I will get back to you. Thanks for reminding me.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK it says The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Quick Time msi' in the box below.

Use source:
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings

The older version of Quick Time cannot be removed
    Contact your technical support group.

That's it.

• zep516
    11 years ago

Download & install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from here:

http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_Installer_CleanUp_Utility_d4459.html

Run it to produce a list of your applications which were installed from an .msi package.
    Select the installed Quicktime version that won't uninstall, then click "Remove".

Let me know.

• zep516
    11 years ago

Once that is done try to reinstall Quicktime.

Joe

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Joe I don't mind trying that, but I do have a question before I do. Since my new Laptop with windows 7 is Networked to this Windows XP computer would it do something to the Laptop Quick Time player which has the newest version on it on my Laptop? I don't want to lose the Quick Time Player on my Laptop.

I also have Revo Uninstaller Pro on my Windows XP desktop. Which one would be the easiest to use or are they the same type of program?

I wouldn't have questioned that before I got my Laptop, but now since the people I purchased my Laptop from networked the two computers together, I have no real understanding of Networking and what it might do. I was able to download the newest Quick Time to my new Laptop and it works great but if I do something to this desktop would it affect my Laptop? Would the newest version show up on the Windows_Installer_CleanUp_Utility? I don't want to remove the wrong Quick Time version and mess up the one that I have on my Laptop or is that even possible? I'm not trying to be difficult here, I am just trying to understand how this will work on a computer that is networked.

• zep516
    11 years ago

I would not worry about networking here, we are not doing anything related to networking, we are dealing with one computer only. Don't worry about that. Don't worry about removing the wrong version of Quicktime either. I would go through the process using the Windows installer clean up utility It specifically addresses .msi issues. Although revo could work too. I'm looking at the .msi issue and that is what the windows installer clean up addresses.

Joe

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK Joe,

I will try this and hopefully it will work. I will let you know.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's Weird,

I clicked on run and nothing happened.I thought it would go to my desktop but there is nothing there and there wasn't anything for me to choose on any list. How do I know if it took? I did try add/remove programs to delete Quick Time again but got the same message. Which major geeks on should I have clicked on. I saw on the left of it Microsoft Office but it is OK I checked I still have it. I don't know what went wrong.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi,

I tried to download the newest version of Quick Time again and this time it said thank you for downloading Quick Time.So I thought maybe it did take and now I have the new version. Nope didn't happen, when I checked on Quick Time for the version, it is the same one nothing changed. This sure is a hard program to get rid of. I was surprised to see it starting to download and then letting me know it was a success when nothing really happened. I am absolutely Puzzled with this. Oh I just thought of something maybe I need to reboot. I will return and let you know.

• zep516
    11 years ago

Ok let me know, if you still have problems. Run the Microsoft Fixit provided in the link below, click the link, when the page opens wait for the Fixit to show, then click on Fixit

Here is a link that might be useful: Fixit page

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well it is still the same old Quick Time 7.6.9
    It is working OK but, looks like it isn't going to update or go away no matter what you try. Maybe I should leave well enough alone as long as it is acting OK. I just wanted to update it. Shaking my head.

Thanks everyone for your help with trying to remove and install the newest version of Quick Time. Joe I really thought it was going to work. Your instructions were great. If you could take a hammer to software that would be one way to remove it but you can't. "Smiles"

Think I will just go get me a good cup of coffee and relax.

• zep516
    11 years ago

See link above please we both posted at same time.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Joe,

I am pleased to tell you that Fix it fixed the problem. I now have the most current Quick Time Update.

Here is what it told me.

Issues found: Corrupt patch Registry Keys: Fixed
    Fixing patch registry problems: Succeeded
    Cannot install or uninstall a program: Fixed
    Uninstall and cleanup? Quick Time: Succeeded
    Issues Checked
    Problem registry key: Checked

Issues Found:
    Corrupt patch registry keys: Fixed
    Detects corrupt or missing patch cache
    Cannot install or uninstall a problem: Fixed
    Looks for problems that can stop you installing and uninstalling a program
    Issue checked
    Detects problems with the registry (wow 64 issue) Checked
    Detection details: Has a check mark
    Publisher details: Has a check mark

I also downloaded the fix it to my desktop in case I need to use it again. Was that OK to do?

After it removed Quick Time out of Add/Remove programs I then went back to this site and downloaded the newest version from the site that mikie gave me and it worked without any problems.

Thank you mikie for the Quick Time download website it was a big help.

Thank you Joe for all of your help, this has been like this for 2 years and now it is fixed. You have made me very happy and if it wasn't so late I would be doing a dance right now. "LOL" Joe and mikie you both have made my day.

I am playing Johnny Be Good on my itunes and it is working too. Yeah! If it wasn't so late I would grab my guitar and play along. "Smiles"

You guys are awesome. "Smiles" Thanks a whole bunch!!!

One last thing, it did take it over an hour to fix it but it did the job. I didn't mind waiting. Thanks again.

thirdfrt!!!

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Joe,

I also wanted to say to you that you went the extra mile for me to figure out how to get Quick Time fixed. I really really appreciate everything you did for me and I will never forget it. Have a wonderful day.

• zep516
    11 years ago

I also downloaded the fix it to my desktop in case I need to use it again. Was that OK to do?

If you experience a similar problem sure, but it's best to come here first, define your problem and wait for a response before running tools that you are unsure about.

Joe :)

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Joe, I would never try something I no nothing about on my own. I would definitely come here first. "Smiles"

• zep516
    11 years ago

Now I can have my cup of coffee, Starbucks French roast. Got home early today and it's Friday Yippee :)

I'm glad you're sorted out....

Joe

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have my cub of coffee too Joe, but it isn't Starbucks.

I am glad I'm sorted out too. "LOL" Up until then I was totally discombobulated. "LOL"

Oh, one last thing remember my posting some time back that I was having problems with my firewall taking a long time to open up? Well since this was fixed it isn't doing that anymore. I don't want to say it is fixed yet, but I am thinking it could have been caused from the Quick Time problems. I will post another thread if this problem with the firewall was fixed along with fixing quick time. So far so good, we will see.

thirdfrt!!!/Joyce

• urlee
    11 years ago

discombobulated,

Hey Joyce, Are you in "cahoots" with DA?

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"LOL" Not really it just popped up in my head. I could have used the word metagrobolized is that one any better? Hey DA where are you? I had better stop this.

While I am here, twice I had to start my computer because of storms,(they sounded off the main alarm and when that happens we head downstairs). Anyway when I started this computer up both times my Windows Firewall came on without a hitch. Before it was acting up and taking to long to come on.

I wonder if Joe or mikie would know if the problems with Quick Time was the cause of that problem also. It is highly suspicious for sure.

thirdfrt!!!/Joyce

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

I think that microsoft fixit program maybe corrected some paths that somehow were set wrongly. Or perhaps changed some registry permissions that were aggressively changed by something like the anti spyware programs that use an immunize type approach - they do screw some regular registry functions up often by changing permissions so keys cant be accessed in a normal manner.