SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

MS Word columns-text box help

chas045
12 years ago

I help lay out a previously designed church newsletter in ms word 2003. The first page has 2 drawings (banners) at the top and below are currently two unlinked (I am just learning about linking) text boxes. Currently these boxes are outlined. The left one almost never changes and the wider right one begins the monthly news text. The second and following pages are two column wide text pages that naturally flow into each other.

My problem is that I can't easily get text to flow from the text box on the first page onto the second page. I currently find the needed break and paste exactly the text I need and begin the second page with the next text in line. This is annoying and in addition, additional editing messes everything up.

I was first planning to remove the 1st page text box and replace it with a column or remove both boxes and do uneven columns, but the boxed text would fall onto the second page or turn the second page into single columns or the two columns would flow upward onto the first page or whatever.

I did find that multiple linked text boxes seemed to be the answer to most of my problems because I could keep a wide outlined box on the first page flowing into two unboxed columns on the second. However I couldn't seem to find out how to continue this on down for undetermined additional pages. It appeared that I have to manually create, manually shape (width and height and evenness and then link each box to the next needed box on each needed page. While I probably could have done all this painfully by hand in the time it has taken to type and think about this, it seems to be most un-computer like. I must be missing a basic method or two about copying text boxes or using frames (which did an impressive amount of distruction that couldn't be undone) or using columns. Obviously, I don't know anything about frames.

So, can one of you Word experts point me in the right direction?

Comments (5)