SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 Unwanted New Welcome

jerry_nj
16 years ago

With the load of Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 I found that when I load the application it comes up with a new Thunderbird "welcome", every time I load (turn on) Thunderbird. Is there a way to stop this unwanted advertisement?

Comments (9)

• sue_va
    16 years ago

I just now got an update message for Thunderbird 1.5.0.6.
    Am I that far behind?
    What version are you others using?

Sue

• bob414
    16 years ago

I've been using 2.0.0.6 for some time but haven't seen the welcome page that Jerry is seeing, so I'm no help there.

• daylilydayzed
    16 years ago

Drag the bar that divides the space where your emails show up down to the bottom of the screen. That should get rid of the welcome screen. Then go up to File and click exit then open Thunderbird again to make sure it opens with the new cleared screen. Personally I don't mind the welcome screen so I left it alone. I just tested my tip and it works on my machine so it should work with yours. I am running Windows XP Service pack 2

• bob414
    16 years ago

That's why I've never seen it. I don't use the preview screen and when I downloaded the new version my computer was already set not to show it.

• jerry_nj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dayl... Thanks, yes the "welcome" is in the inbox preview window. I don't find the scene particularly objectionable, but it takes time to load (I'm still on dial up) time that used to be used to check my ISP inbox and to notify me if there are any messages to download.

I understand you to say remove the preview window, shut TB down and restart it in that mode. You mention drag the windwo size down (to zero), but I'd assume to chose no preview window would also work...we could test lots of things and I don't suggest that be done, thanks for the tip.

• jerry_nj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, it may work, but not the way I'd like it to. First I'll admit TB doesn't have different desk top views for different folders, Outlook does. So, the only way to remove the preview window is to drag the top bar down to the bottom..but then there are no preview windows for any folder. As soon as I open the preview window, back comes the new (unwanted) TB Welcome. Guess we're stuck, either see the welcome, or don't use preview.

• pc_mike
    16 years ago

You can prevent Thunderbird from displaying the welcome screen. Just click into tools/options, and UNCHECK "When Thunderbird launches...". This works great and will allow you to toggle the start screen off, and still have preview for all your emails.

• musicollector
    9 years ago

pc_mike,

Thank you for the best, and only, answer! That fixed it for me.

This post was edited by musicollector on Wed, Dec 10, 14 at 16:12

• musicollector
    9 years ago

pc_mike,

Thank you for the best, and only, answer! That fixed it for me.