o
another day, another problem

Posted by lyban (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 21:40

I have windows 7
Browser is mozilla fox
New desktop a couple of weeks old.
Logitech MK550 keyboard and mousse combo

I have had no problems with this issue until today.
I have a problem today with my @ at sign above the 2
when I am in word it works fine.
when I am on any site and want to write my email I get a quote mark above the 2 and therefore cannot put in my email.

As you can see above it worked fine for this post.

Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: another day, another problem

Check the language settings on keyboard, here's how:

Click start > Control panel > click > 'Regional and Languages' and then click "Keyboard" check to see if it's United States and not UK. Or just tell us what it's set to.

Joe

o

Joe,

Thanks for the idea but It just came back by itself about 5 mins. ago.

I had the problem for about the last 4 hours and as soon as I posted this problem on here it came back on its own.

I have no idea why or what happened. I really did not change anything.

I did just check the settings like you mentioned and it says Canada, english so I think I am OK there.

I hope It stays fixed but thanks for your help anyways.

o

OK. That's a wireless keyboard so perhaps something is interfering with it...keep that in mind too if it should go silly again.

Joe

o

This hiccup sometimes happens when I surf through some Euro web pages.
Restarting my computer or shutting it down completely then bringing it back online has worked for me at various times.

Below is basically a rerun of bits of the quick setup you did before going online with your new computer, so you may prefer instead to refer back to your official instructions on this particular part.
Go to Control Panel then to Clock Language and Region and check for option Canada or Canada English US where choices must be made. If it still won't clear out the keyboard after another restart, try setting it to US as a temporary measure where choices are offered.

You might also want to run your anti malware stuff and then do a full scan Windows MSE (Defender) overnight as a precaution.

This post was edited by laat2 on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 22:40

o

So changing the settings to Canada begs the question. What advantages does this give you? Never tried it before but have now reset to Canada.

I gave up using the Firefox Canadian dictionary as it seemed every time Firefox updated my dictionary vanished.

o

Owbist,

I did not change my settings to canada, I live in Canada and that is the setting I always had.

Also the problem resolved by itself before I even went to check my settings.
I do not really know why this glitch happened, like I said it lasted for about 4 hours and then came back on its own.

o

Lyban I asked because I too live in Canada not far from Niagara Falls and was curious.

o

Oh, I did not realize that you were also in Canada.
I am in the Montreal area.

o

"when I am on any site and want to write my email I get a quote mark above the 2 and therefore cannot put in my email."

Some keyboards in the UK have the quote symbol above the number 2 instead of the @ sign, it's called an ISO Keyboard, that's why I though it was possible the language setting was set wrong and producing "quotes" instead of the @ symbol as the user indicated.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here