Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wondering how to bust up a zip file with 7zip

Posted by shaddy101 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 21:34

and the size to make it(them) after that? I am trying to learn how to bust up zip files that are perhaps too large, or maybe I don't want the whole thing? How do I decide what size to make it when the time comes> The tute showing me doesn't clarify.
Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wondering how to bust up a zip file with 7zip

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 21:49

Does the tute mention if you write it to dvd you can have a file 4gb but if you write it to cd in needs to be 650 mb.

You size large zips to fit the media or to make it a comfortable sized file to upload or download. Plus sometimes email rules come into effect.

I split a windows 8.1.1 DVD up into 8 chunks to upload a copy. Server upload size rules.

If you're working with a large already zipped file.. you should unpack it before zipping it into chunks. Otherwise you will create some confusion and double work for whomever opens it.

This post was edited by mikie on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 21:53

o

Your last comment applies to what I want to do Mikie, I believe because the gal is using a smart phone, she is having trubble with a really large file, not that I sent, but I downloaded, and have offered to bust it up somewhat to resend to her, I do not understand the verbage in the tute as far as sizes, so guess I will just unzip it, rezip in smaller pkgs, and just send via email. Maybe some day I can take the time to figger out the other route. Thanks for your time fella, much appreciated.
Shaddy

o

Its really very simple .. choose add to archive for the whole shebang

... then at the bottom left you can use the dropdown box and select CD size or??? or fill in the blank with any size you want like 50M for 50 mb.

So if you had 150 mb of files when compressed and told it 50M, it would probably makes 4 splits.-- 3 about 50M and a final one of just a few mb.... for processing overhead.

She puts all 4 in one folder clicks the first one and its magic.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i.imgur.com/fRpmbxY.jpg

o

Mikie, grateful for your response, even if I didn't get back right away. Just have to inquire tho, how do I figger the M size of the files, and where can I find how much each one actually is? I thought I had something a while back, either misplaced it, or it flew into the waste.
I want to be able to calculate the amount of each group in the file, and figger out the zips. I know this isn't right, but I am green as grass for this, and need these little niggling facts I guess. Many thanks, and most appreciated that you take the time to respond.

o

When someone has to send me a large file on my smart phone they send it through send space and I have the send space app on my phone. It's a free site for sending and receiving large files. Other wise I just transfer from my computer to my phone using the Bluetooth as I am too lazy to take the case and cover off to get at the memory card in my phone. Mary

o

Most files you can right click and select properties and see the size.

Or from within the folder that the file is in, from the View menu item select Details.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here