SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Troubleshooting My Sluggish, DisconnectingLaptop - So many issues

lynnalexandra
10 years ago

After having rescued my work laptop from the BSOD - and getting my husband's new laptop up and running - thanks to help here (and Sysnative), I'd like to tackle an ongoing thorn in my side. My home laptop.

This is the most expensive computer I've bought - and the biggest lemon from day one. It has Windows XP - so I know that's not supported after 4/14. Someone suggested I keep it at our beach apartment after that - and use it until I can't. Either way, I'd like to get this running better - and learn more about how to troubleshoot these problems. I run ccleaner regularly;, do all my updates, run Avast, superantispyware, malwarebytes and spywareblaster. Running these rarely turns much up. Occasionally a tracking/adware - but getting rid of those few occasional infected files does not speed things up.

This is a Lenovo Thinkpad X61, Windows XP, 160GB hard drive with 23 GB free space (if necessary, I can delete movies I had on it for travel), Intel Core 2Duo, T8300, 2.4ghz.

Since the beginning (or near to it), the wireless adapter is wonky. It often drops connection - or used to have trouble finding new networks. I called Lenovo about 1 1/2 years ago when it was still under extended warranty. He guided me to do something (I think update drivers) - and it helped for a little while - but slowly got worse. Then this winter, a smart college kid, majoring in computer science, removed some bloatware (like Think advantage solutions - Lenovo's intrusive Helper software). That too may have helped very briefly. Now it doesn't disconnect as often, but still happens a lot. I often have to disable the wireless network adapter and re-enable - or I have to repair network connections. Sometimes this works and sometimes I have to shut it off and start over again.

The Intell Wireless Wifi link 4965AGN. I have an outdated driver from 2010 (13.4.0.139). I went to the Intel site and see that there is a new driver for that adapter Wireless_15.3.1_x32).
I downloaded the newer driver, double clicked to install. It did not install that way. (I had something similar happen when I had to download a new drive for my work laptop and needed guidance from folks at sysnative to get the driver installed on the windows 7 laptop. I tried those instructions to install this driver - but it doesn't work.) Basically, after downloading it, I went to device manager, driver, and selected update driver. it gives a choice to install automatically (recommended). But when I click that it says it can't find it. So then I selected install form a list or specific location. From there Iif I try to search my documents (after I copied the download to my documents) - I can't find it. And I can't find it anywhere except in my downloads - but the downloads folder won't open when I go to device manager (only in explorer). If i pick let me pick the driver from a specific list, the list doesn't show this recently downloaded, updated driver. So I am stuck here and don't know why the driver won't install - or what I can do to install it. This is the most persistent problem I'm having.

But there are newer problems as well:
Earlier this year the battery died, so I replaced it with a generic. That ran hot so I got a the OEM battery from Lenovo. Charges better - and ran cooler for a couple of months, but has become quite hot the last few months. I don't know why the laptop is so hot. I don't know if that' interfering with operation - but it is making it a bit too uncomfortable to keep on my lap for long. Is there anything I can do to get it to run cooler?

Lately (last month or so?), the computer just freezes. I can't get the cursor to any of my tabs. (Firefox). I can't select a new tab. i get stop script errors. What can i do about the stop script errors. I don't really know what that means - but I copied the error below. Sometimes it passes if I wait - and some times I have to restart firefox (or is it the computer I have to restart). Honestly I'm having so many different problems with this computer, I'm loosing track.

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

I tried to copy the script error here - but garden web says there's something in the string of characters they cannot post. So I'm going to try posting this message without that. And if that script error is helpful, I will try pasting it in another post.

Script: http://mono.vizu.com/cdn/00/00/73 ... and I can't include the rest - but i see references to condenast, epicurious,

Well - that's three big problems to start with. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.
Lynn.

Comments (121)

• DA_Mccoy
    10 years ago

Auslogics vs Defraggler is like Chevy vs Ford. Either are quite capable applications.

I have a couple other thoughts, but it appears I might be stepping on someone's toes.

• zep516
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi

This post I made at 19:00 : Aug 31

"If the dds log will post here post it here.. Sometimes it will not some error occurs because of the forum. Then do it at pastebin if you need to. We are just gathering information now, it will make it easier for everyone to help." Could use the help.Easy to over look when there's so much information.

I asked for others to chime in. So please do so.....

This post was edited by zep516 on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 9:43

• Related Discussions

Pics - Newly Org Lawn Troubleshooting

Q

Comments (26)
    Just a follow up to put this thread to rest and to maybe help someone who stumbles upon this thread while looking up KBG and summer patch, I sent a sample in to the Univ of Missouri to have things tested to make sure. Below is the text of the findings....no surprises. Diagnosis summer patch The submitted grass had a lot of discolored and decaying roots. It appears the decay and discoloration is leading to the damage to the turf. We were able to find fungi associated with the roots that is consistent with Magnaporthe, the fungus that causes summer patch. Please see attached information on summer patch. The soil associated with the roots was a very heavy clay. This heavy soil may not drain very well and contribute to the problem. During your current renovation, you may want to consider organic amendments to improve the soil quality. In addition, the thick layer of thatch present may contribute to problems. In the future, more frequent dethatching may help prevent excessive thatch build-up. If you have additional questions about the sample, please contact us. Rob
    ...See More

Need help troubleshooting leaf problem with potted miniature rose

Q

Comments (11)
    It should also be mentioned that miniature (or any kind of) roses do not take well to being grown inside, period. You would join the very, very long list of people, many of whom might be much more experienced than you, who fail with this plant once it's brought inside. It can be done, absolutely, but it takes some knowledge of just what these plants need and how to provide it, inside. Most roses are fully deciduous plants, or want to be. They prefer a cool (or even cold), dormant period after their leaves drop. Just as any deciduous plant would do, they suffer and complain when their natural cycle is completely disrupted. The watering of any indoor plant needs to be done 'as needed' rather than by a calendar schedule. Most people use their fingers to test the dampness of the soil under the surface. You can also use a small wooden dowel rod...if it comes out damp after being inserted, don't water. Many people learn to tell by simply lifting the container and judging the need for a good watering by the weight. That takes experience. It's imperative that the potting medium be one that drains rapidly so that you can water thoroughly every time, no little sips. Watering frequency depends upon: the type of plant, size of plant in relationship to the pot, type of potting medium, time of year, temperature and relative humidity of the room, duration and quality of light, and type of container, just to name some of the factors. Not only did the temperatures change, but so did the duration and quality of light. Seasonal differences are extremely meaningful to plants. Your rose may have been able to languish on the window sill in the summer, but once fall came around, it was simply unable to even do that anymore. No amount of fungicide of any kind can 'fix' this kind of problem. Roses like plenty of direct sunlight. You cannot provide that, even on the sunniest window sill. Luckily, there are artificial lighting kits and lamps for those of us who wish to grow those kinds of plants needing more light than can be found inside the home.
    ...See More

Need help troubleshooting my tomatoes

Q

Comments (2)
    I think they might still be recovering from the sunburn. I sunburned a bunch of plants last year, and after I picked off the white crispy leaves, the remaining leaves got that same dark color with the same slight transparency. This is just the opinion of an inexperienced gardener, but most of the time it's impossible to tell what's actually wrong with a plant-- unless you can see bugs crawling on the leaves, or something like that, you're pretty much guessing. Then you start adding phosphorous, messing with pH, spraying with insecticide, or overwatering, and stress the plant worse. It seems like most of the time the plant recovers on its own-- so my approach would be to keep checking on them and looking for changes, but not to do anything drastic yet. As for the watering, there is some flexibility here, I think. Last year I watered my garden twice all season, and I still got tomatoes every day. With overwatering, the issue is that the roots need oxygen. When you water, the dirt squishes together and fills in the little air holes, and the roots can suffocate. This is probably less of an issue in the ground than in a pot, because the roots are more spread out, and go deeper, so they probably have some oxygen even after it rains or you water. It's also probably less of an issue in soil with large particles (wood chips, rocks) because the large particles prevent the soil from compacting as much. (Think about a cup of slivered almonds, how there's little air in between the pieces, and a cup of walnuts-- the large, irregular pieces don't fit together, so air gets stuck in between.) Taking a look at your soil might help you determine how careful you need to be. If your soil tends to pack together, you need to be careful. If it looks loose even after you water, it may not be as crucial. As a general guideline, I would recommend waiting until the soil feels DRY an inch or two down before you water. (Especially this early in the season-- when it's really hot, you may want to water more often, because it may seem like the water starts drying up in the hot sun immediately after you water). Remember that tomato roots will go deep, and find wet dirt deep under the soil, so even when the top inches feel dry, the tomatoes may be well hydrated. Happy gardening!! :-)
    ...See More

Now Troubleshooting DD's laptop - Soooo Slow

Q

Comments (16)
    Here's the issue with firefox, FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.babTrack - affID=109936&tt=100512_2_ FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.babExt - FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.srcExt - ss FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.id - b8457168000000000000bc7737387210 FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.hardId - b8457168000000000000bc7737387210 FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.instlDay - 15473 FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.vrsn - 1.5.3.17 FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.vrsni - 1.5.3.17 FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.vrsnTs - 1.5.3.1715:35:37 FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.prtnrId - babylon FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.prdct - BabylonToolbar FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.aflt - babsst FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.smplGrp - none FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.tlbrId - tb9 FF - user.js: extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.instlRef - sst FF - user.js: network.protocol-handler.warn-external.dnupdate - false FF - user.js: browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash - false We will be getting rid of that, by running the tools above.
    ...See More
  • lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ran auslogics over night and had it set to shut down. It's all defragged now - but still only 35.04 GB. I'm posting a bit of the log file - there's much more detail if I should post the rests.

Disk Size 143.59 GB
    Free Space Size 35.04 GB
    Clusters 37641232
    Sectors per cluster 8
    Bytes per sector 512
    Defragmentation started 9/1/2013 1:00:58 AM
    Defragmentation completed 9/1/2013 2:21:27 AM
    Elapsed time 01:20:29
    Total Files 96340
    Total Directories 12209
    Fragmented Files 13147
    Defragmented Files 13147
    Optimized Files 42783
    Skipped Files 0
    Fragmentation Before 22.30% ::::::::::::
    Fragmentation After 0.00%

I am appreciative of everyone's help. Damcoy - please do offer any ideas you have. Defraggler showed:
    Health: Error Temp: 49 degrees Celsius
    Should I be concerned about this?

More later (helping my daughter pick a song to audition with).

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Maybe this program would be better for you to find out what's taking up space,

Here is a link that might be useful: using-the-most-disk-space-on-your-hard-drive

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That was the ticket. It shows that RR Backups are consuming most of the space - 56.6% of the space, 61,4 GB. 61.3GB of it are for backups of the C; drive. Consists of 1333 files in 10 folders.

Now here is what I can add to this story:

on a regular basis (once/week), I go to the laptop and see that the last restore and recovery ? back up did not complete (or was not successful) - do i want to back up now? I always choose NO - but honestly don't know anything about this back up that seems to be set to run on it's own. Must be a Lenovo thing - but it does not succeed.

I must confess to having no back up strategies for this computer. I don't keep any files/documents on it that I don't have elsewhere. So I haven't been concerned about backing up my data. But it does make sense to back up the configuration (software, my settings, ).

I did make initial disks when I got the laptop (repair and recovery, I believe). But I have not taken steps myself since to back up anything. So I am not sure if any of those RRbackups are worth saving - I don't know if any completed successfully. None were backups that I ran myself.

Seems I should figure out a back up plan - and do some type of image, or copy? (My laptop has a docking tray to gain DVD access. I could back up to DVD or thumb drive. I could back up to a partition on the C drive (would need to know how to create such a partition and direct back-ups to store there).

Not sure the order of operations, but seems I should delete some if not all of the RRbackup folders. Folder labelled "2" has the largest amount of space - 48.6 GB - dated August 18, 2010.

Doesn't seem as though any back ups were created after that. There's a date from Sept 2012 but that looks like it just was a summary of back ups of the C drives to date.

I created an MFT dump file - saved in my documents. But my computer (and I) don't know what program to open it with. So I don't know if there's a way to post the results here - or attach them or what.

Thank you.
    Lynn.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Hi,

I'm not a back up person either, I don't back up system files or anything like that. I do back up some personal files from school on to a flash drive. I do have an operating system disk though. I think making an image is the way to go, and I should do it. Not well versed in that and exactly how and what to use to do it.

Check out the link too,

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/thinkpad-rrbackups-and-disk-space

I want you to Google RR Backups check out the links, do a little research...

• zep516
    10 years ago

56.6% of the space, 61,4 GB. 61.3GB of it are for backups of the C; drive. Consists of 1333 files in 10 folders.

Why would back ups go to the c drive makes no sense !!!!!

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've googled RR backups - and see lots of folks having problems with this. My laptop is from Sept 2008 and I see problems from back then and later. Apparently these RR folders are hidden - so they don't show using Windows Explorer. That explains the mystery of seeing only 35GB free on a 143GB system, when i only had 35.7 GB or data on the drive.

Zep - I never set anything to back up myself. It seems this may be a problem with some version of the Lenovo software - that it's backing up on the hard disk and consuming the space. See plenty of complaints on the Thinkpad forums about this.

I'd like to delete those folders - but want to make sure it's safe to. And some people struggle to get them deleted - should start from most recent. Here's a quote from one thread that mentions 2 methods to delete these files:

"Haven't tried this but it sounds promising:
    RRUtil.exe > "RRUtil.exe is an administrator tool which can be used to customize parts of the Rescue and Recovery PreDesktop Area"
    URL: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/TVAN-ADMIN.html

Alternatively*, you can delete the hidden system folder C:\RRBackups in Safe mode, but do rebuild another backup after this...

Boot into Safe Mode,
    then in the Windows explorer,
    go to Tools>Folder Options>View.
    Select "Show hidden files and folders.
    Deselect "Hide protected operating system files"
    Apply. Delete contents of C:\RRBackups

* I had 70% of my 160GB hard drive utilised by the R&R backups, so I deleted all my backups instead.
    *I have to do a backup now..."

I don't understand the first option. The second seems easier. Also read somewhere that it might not be as tough to access and delete the folders in XP as it become for Vista and Windows 7.
    -------------------------------------------------
    On the microsoft forums:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953614

Workaround:

1. Click Start. Click "All Programs". Click "Thinkvantage". Click "Rescue and recovery option".
    2. Select the Set schedule option and deselect schedule backup option.
    3. Return to the home page of the utility and select Advanced option from the Menu Bar and chose the option to Delete backup.
    4. Select and then delete the unnecessary backups to recover additional disk space.

I don't want to proceed with these steps before getting advice.

This RR BAckup is a pain and raises questions about disabling it, deleting it, or just changing it's settings. But again, I'll wait for advice on that.

Meanwhile I'm going to explore this program and take a look. Won't do anything to it yet.

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/Rescue-and-Recovery-s-disk-management-is-pathetic-and-senseless/m-p/17999/highlight/true#M597

This link is to a thread that dates to the time of my computer in 2008. Sounds daunting. I think I'm up a creek without a paddle. Can't believe this piece of awful software from Lenovo has caused such problems - for so many.

I'll keep reading without posting every little thing back here. But this thread concerns me.

Lynn

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yet another problem. Following the thinkpad posts which suggest first determining which verison of RNR I have - and using the RNR program to delete files, I can't open Thinkvantage. It is in my start menu, a desktop icon, and in all programs. None of those links open it. So I went to start, Run and entered thinkvantage productivity center. It said it could not find the program. to Try start, search and enter it. Every time I type it in search and hit enter or search, the words get deleted and the search box says "search" again.

Looked in program files and see thinkvantage but can't open it from there.

So i am stumped. I can't delete these backups from within the program if I can't access the program. Read somewhere that deleting the software will delete back ups - but I'm not sure that's the best road to go.

FWIW I am quoting a post I thought was a helpful way to go if I'd been able to take the first step:

"Determine which version of RNR you are using. Pull up the RNR GUI, Click the ?x in upper right of screen, and post the release you are using.

If RNR 4.5, please refer to my post of Nov 22,2011 of Incrementals reverting to the C(local) drive.

===

The backups typically go to the C drive, Folder \RRbackups. This is hidden folder. Control panel. folder options, Turn on the Show hidden folders entry. You may have to change windows security to LOOK inside \RRbackups.

The first backup is a FULL backup, subsequent backups are Incrementals. My C drive is 32 mb, Full backup is 15 mb compressed. Incrementals are around 1.2 GB in size. Depending on your C drive used space, frequency of backups, how often you change the C drive has effect on \RRbackups folder size.

Solution 1:

If you uninstall RNR, it will remove the \RRbackups folder on the C drive. This is a last resort option, but works.

Solution 2:

Delete the Latest backup, one at a time, starting with the most recent. DO NOT ATTEMPT anything other then the most recent, 1 at a time. Otherwise RNR will attempt a MERGE process which will most likely fail with not enough disk space message, and will probably Never complete. Each delete should take 5-7 minutes time.

If you can View backups in RNR, please do so. Check the backup location and size of the backups. First backup should be BIG, rest should be like 1/10 the size of the first backup. Check your backup schedule. Do you backup weekly, monthly? If you backup 32 mb, every 3 days, yes you will run out of space.

===

Look at C:\SWshare folder, RR.log and Engine.log and post the actual message/RC for the NOT enough space message. If RC=584, this is a Not enough space for Merge message. "

Oy, Vey!
    Lynn.

• zep516
    10 years ago

I never set anything to back up myself. It seems this may be a problem with some version of the Lenovo software - that it's backing up on the hard disk and consuming the space.

Yes. That's what I see too it's been a problem.

So I'm wondering......
    How do you restore a Lenovo t61 to factory settings Do you have a recovery disk?

You can Google that line in bold, just to see what comes up. This is what I have to do because I don't know.

Keep in mind
    There is no recovery partition on your computer, see log below:

From DDS log

==== Disk Partitions =========================
    . C: is FIXED (NTFS) - 144 GiB total, 35.725 GiB free.

See only a "C" drive

I like this option, if that's what we decide to do.

Alternatively*, you can delete the hidden system folder C:\RRBackups in Safe mode, but do rebuild another backup after this...

Boot into Safe Mode,
    then in the Windows explorer,
    go to Tools>Folder Options>View.
    Select "Show hidden files and folders.
    Deselect "Hide protected operating system files"
    Apply. Delete contents of C:\RRBackups

I'd go ahead an delete it, it's going to rebuild anyway. What ever it's rebuilding....

I don't fully understand what it's backing up? How do you restore backups from RRbackups it needed, do you need it to do a factory restore?

What i would do is consider Image software, make an image of the disk at some point, then you have a back up and in more control of it.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Can you do this,

Start->ThinkVantage->Create Recovery Media (Recovery Disks)

See link

http://www.beezmo.com/ThinkPadT61Dir/TPT61WindowsDir/T61WindowsXP.htm

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just now I went to program files and i do see the Thinkvantage productivity center - 65 MB. I can open from there - and it turns up 3 folders. One is productivity center. I click that and it opens a long list of folders and files. I clicked one that I think is right - I'm exploring it. I don't see RNR - or RR - or anything that seems like its' right.

there's a left panel with various options:

Resource center;
    Maintenance
    Wireless
    Device configuration
    Security, protection, recovery: options back up my data, restore my date,
    Multimedia management
    Communicating and networking
    Help and support

Under Security protection and recovery - I clicked on back up my data - that brought up rescue and recovery.

I'm going to try to follow the advice about deleting the back ups - from most recent to the older.

I'll post back
    Lynn
    I'll wait for advice here to decide about uninstalling.

Thank you.
    Lynn.

If he deleted it, it would account for three icons left

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joe - we cross posted and I hadn't seen yours when i posted.

I am in rescue and recovery software now.

I do have repair and recovery disks I made when I got the computer. But boy do I dread the idea of deleting everything and reinstalling. and from what I've seen, i think I can get rid of this stuff - and stop further back ups - without going that far.

I'm going to look at the back ups. and see if it feels safe to delete some. It seems they merge when you don't delete from most recent. If I delete older back ups first, it kind of repopulates.

I'll post back soon.
    Lynn.

• owbist
    10 years ago

Jumping in on so long a thread it is possible I may have missed something but it begs the question. Why are you backing anything up to the same drive? One of the main reasons for a back up is to protect your data should the hard drive fail, you do not have that protection.

In previous threads I feel sure I have seen you refer to an external drive. If you have one then just back up the My Documents folder to it on an ongoing basis. I keep 2 differently dated back ups of My Documents to be safe. (How much is too much?)

You have mentioned at least twice the CPU temp, where are you reading that info? Who determined 49C is too much and is this reading taken while the machine is at rest or when working on something. I have a Phenom II quad core processor and it is at 39C, as you have XP it is old enough to perhaps only have a single core processor plus the fact it is a laptop. Can air freely move under the computer where it usually sits when being used? Have you used compressed air to blow out the vents and around the fan on this computer?

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hooray. Some progress. I deleted four of the five back ups (via RNR). Now I have 90GB of free space. The one back up I left was the earlier from June 2009. It's about 5GB and I figure it contains basically a recovery of whatever was on in June 2009.

Since i don't store any data I need on this computer (everything exists in other places - desktop, dropbox, tivo's, etc), I think I don't need my own files from that time. If it backed up the C drive as it was in 2009, I'm not sure how useful that is either. I'm just waiting to back up in case I should keep it. I DO HAVE RECOVERY DISKS.

I went to the scheduler to change the back ups to once/month. It had been once a week. and asked to be warned if back ups exceeded 3GB (default had been 50GB - which is ludicrous on a 160GB hard drive). Default was also set to back up to C drive. But I couldn't change it. Options included backing up to USB hard drive or other hard drive. I'm not connected to an external drive with this laptop and I don't want to be.

I think I read that if usb drive is selected - and back up occurs when it's not connected, it will default to C drive. There's an option to pick second back up location choice - and it says none - but I don't trust that after what I've read.

There's an option for back up to network drive. I have a NAS (which I barely understand) - on the Y drive for my desktop and I guess it's still the Y drive for the home network. I don't know how to specify that NAS in terms of writing the path. (I know that's rookie stuff, but I don't know it - and hit snags with running pytivo on it and designating paths- haven't learnt it yet). So if I knew the path, it might work. But I read on the thinkpad forums, that even if you designate a place to back up on the network, it wasn't working with this software.

Most importantly, I don't want to run back ups at all. I can uncheck schedule back ups. But I don't trust that either. For now I have unchecked schedule back ups.

The way I use this laptop, I do not need to back up personal files. I keep little on here - and if I create a new file, I upload to dropbox or send to my desktop. Perhaps I should back up the configuration of the C drive as it will be when we finish cleaning up this mess. For right now, I'm not sure I need a back up since i have the original recovery disks.

I might prefer to disable these back ups - but don't trust that unselecting schedule back ups will work. I guess now that I know how to open the program, I know where to check.

I am not sure how to delete this. Within the productivity center, there are various functions. I'm a bit worried that if I delete the whole thing, there may have been portions that were critical to the operation of the laptop. If I try to just isolate the RR backup, I'm not sure I can. In program files, i get as far as
    LPL1
    Thinkvantage productivity center
    File verison 3.1.0.0
    created 9-23-2008 - the day I set up this lapotp
    (when I click help - about the RNR software, it says version 4.21.0016.00
    ---------------------------------------------
    Just had a local internet outage for 20 minutes. So I couldn't post this thread. Looked more at RNR and decided to read help files and learn more. I actually think keeping the program might be fine, now that I understand the settings. If I set it up correctly, and it works as set up, it should be fine.

1 - I unchecked scheduled back ups
    2 - I excluded many files from the back ups to save space. don't need copies of personal files, documents, videos, pics, temp files, etc. As suggested in the help files
    3 - Since this is not connected to a hard drive (and for now not sure if network back ups will work), I'll have it save to C drive only when I schedule a back up. From there I can copy the back up onto DVD's or USB drive (of external drive I plug it in just for the back up). Once the most recent back up is copied to external storage, i can delete if from C drive. The RNR guide actually recommends this as one strategy.
    4 - I'm even wondering if all the problems people have had is because the defaults for this program are crazy. Bound to lead to filling up a hard drive. Default of 50GB back up space? and the back ups are hidden so people don't know they're accumulating until there's a problem. And I'm figuring most people don't know how to access this RRbackup program - so the defaults remain.

Deifnitely lots of progress. Computer is speedier, plenty of space on the hard drive. Still drops wifi sometimes.

Joe - i can't tell you how reassured I've been that you've been researching this stuff alongside me. You've not only provided invaluable guidance, you have taught me ways to approach things - and given me the confidence to go out on a limb because I knew you were there.

Thank you very much.
    Lynn.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

owbist - thank you for chiming in.

First - I never set anything to back up to C drive. I agree it's ridiculous. And you remember correctly that I have an external drive (or two) plus a NAS (but I haven't mastered using that yet).

For some crazy reason, Lenovo's rescue and recovery software was set with defaults of backing up to the C drive. Lots of posts about this problem on the thinkpad forums. I actually don't need to back up my personal files bc. anything on this laptop is a duplicate of files i have elsewhere. Might make sense to occasionally back up current configuration of the C drive - programs and settings. I think the post I started above (when I had not seen your post due to a temp. internet outage) - probably explains about the back up fiasco.

As for temperature, I had started running defraggler - and it said it was 49 degrees celsius. It also said system error - or unhealth. Now that could have been from the overly full hard drive. Who knows. The program did not suggest 49 degrees was too much - but in combination with it feeling hot to me, and saying health error, I thought maybe it was pointing to the problem I had with it running hot.

Yes - there's air flow below and on the sides.
    No - I never blew out the vents with compressed air. I didn't know that was a good idea for a laptop. I might have imagined blowing dust further into the machine. Should I blow it out? I have compressed air and do that on my desktop?

Now that I've freed up hard drive space by locating these ridiculous back ups and deleting them, the laptop does not feel hot.

So far, 3 big problems have been fixed (I hope fixed). and it's running pretty quickly, not feeling hot. Freed up hard drive space (and changed settings in the back up program so it won't keep backing up large amounts to C drive). I can set it to back up to the NAS (Y drive) if I knew how to write the path. (And I did read folks saying that even when they designated that path to network storage, the RRbackup still backed up on C drive. I don't know if they failed to do something - or the software is that faulty, beyond it's ridiculous defaults.

Removed the comcastantispywareservice that consumed over 50% CPU.

Cleaned up start up programs.

Still have to figure out how to get that newer wireless driver installed. and I'm not sure that's the only problem with the wireless connection getting dropped.

Thank you.
    Lynn.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Very well done Lynn! You can remove all the programs we downloaded, delete all logs that were created. Thanks to those of you that jumped in.

Happy surfing !

Joe

• owbist
    10 years ago

Running a defrag tool is about moving so much data you would expect the CPU to run hot so if it is only during a time like that just ignore it. Today's computers are set to shut down if overheating gets excessive, Sometimes an unexpected shut down is a clue to dirty fans, vents and/or heatsinks.

You can use compressed air but be careful near the fan. If possible poke a toothpick in to stop the blades spinning wildly out of control and damaging the fan blades. just short bursts will do the trick AND do it outdoors to avoid dust on the furniture.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Owbist. I'll blow out the dust tomorrow - outside.
    Glad to hear the temperature is probably fine.

I've been googling to get back to a solution for the dropping Wifi connection.

I have the Intel Wireless Wifi link 4965AGN. I have an outdated driver from 2010 (13.4.0.139). IWhen I go to device manager, right click on the network adapter and check driver version it says 13.4.0.139.

When i got help from sysnative, they said to go to the device manufacturer's website to get current driver. Here, Zep suggested the Lenovo site to get the latest driver.

Both sites say there's a newer driver. They each point to a different driver.

The Lenovo site says the newer driver is 13.4.0.0

The Intel site and let it scan my computer. Their scan says that is a new driver for that adapter Wireless_15.3.1_x32). It's actually saying a whole software suite?
    Newer Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility Available: 15.3.1

So - first of all, I'm not sure which one is the correct one to get.

Second - I've tried to install both of them (at various times) - and neither installs successfully. (Details in posts above).

Tried first with the 15.3.1. Downloaded, thought i was clicking to install - rebooted. Checked device manager and it still lists the older driver. Uninstalled the older driver, rebooted - hoped it would find and install the 15.3.1. It didn't. It still had the old one to re-install. Then Zep pointed me to Lenovo's site and I downloaded the 13.4.0.0. I downloaded it. Clicked to install. Said it couldn't install - bc it would be downgrading from the 15.3.1 (which never showed up as the installe driver). But I figured 15.3.1. was on the computer somewhere. So I found it and deleted. Tried again to download and reinstall 13.4.0.0. It looks like it's installed. Reboot.. Device manager still indicated that it was the older 13.4.0.139.

I let that go while troubleshooting the other problems.

Then just now I let Intel scan my laptop. It says I have 13.4.0.0 installed (which is not what shows up in device manager) - and says the newer driver is 15.3.1.

I am completely confused. I keep downloading and trying to install updated drivers. They don't show up in device manager. But they show up when I'm trying to perform other operations (trying to install 13.4.0.0 or letting Intel scan my computer).

Is it possible that the newer drivers are being installed - but not showing up in device manager? or are they just sitting somewhere not installed - but other programs find it and think it is installed.

Help?

It's tempting to let Intel just try to install the 15.3.1 driver. It's little scan program can also install the new driver. Should I give it a try?

Thank you.
    Lynn.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Hi,

Lynn

Any help here

Here is a link that might be useful: which-wlan-driver

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Joe,

I've been exploring your link for over an hour. I don't know if I'm making progress - or just muddying the waters further (probably both). First I'll say what I found. Then below, I will write my questions in ALL CAPS. I am not shouting. I just want my questions to be clear - and finable amongst all this huge amount of verbiage. This is what I think I found.

The FRU for my Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN.
    The lenovo page is suggesting
    13.04.0000 26 May 2011 which it lists my wifi adapter as still being supported in this version.

But it then says:

The following devices are still supported in this version, while a newer version of the software, "Intel Wireless LAN (11abgn, abg, bg)" version 14.00.1000 or higher" is also available for upgrade.

Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200
    Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945BG Network Connection
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Intel WiFi Link 1000
    Intel WiFi Link 5100
    Intel WiFi Link 5300
    Intel WiFi Link 5350
    Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG
    Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

When I click the link for this version 14.00.1000 (which it says supports my Wifi link 4965AGN, it takes me to a page which lists newer drivers for both Windows 7 and XP.
    Version numbers of 15.6.1/15.03.2000. Two packages with those numbers - dated May, 2013 and July 2013. But it no longer lists Wifi Link 4965AGN as supported - even though the link for upgraded supported drivers for my network adapter is what took me to that page. Here's the page:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-77063

It says support ended for the following - which includes my stuff (even if I use the upgrade to Vista BAsic that came with my laptop).

End of support for the following adapters:

Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100
    Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300
    Intel(R) WiFi Link 5350
    Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG
    Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945BG Network Connection
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Ended support for the following ThinkPad system models with the above devices installed, in addition.

W700, W700ds
    X200 Tablet
    X300, X301
    R60, R60e, R61, R61e
    T60, T60p, T61, T61p
    X60, X60s, X60 Tablet, X61, X61s, X61 Tablet
    Z61e, Z61m, Z61p, Z61t
    Reserve Edition

Ended support for Microsoft Windows Vista.
    Note:
    Please use the previous version, 8aw217ww (v14.03.0000) for the devices, models and Microsoft Windows Vista.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    So I clicked on the previous version, above and found that it recommends the following:

Intel Wireless LAN (11abgn, abg, bg)
    8aw217ww.exe
    242.48 MB Windows 7 32bit,
    Windows 7 64bit,
    Windows Vista 32bit,
    Windows Vista 64bit,
    Windows XP 14.03.0000 17 Jul 2012 OR

README for Intel Wireless LAN (11abgn, abg, bg)
    8aw217ww.txt
    59.85 KB Windows 7 32bit,
    Windows 7 64bit,
    Windows Vista 32bit,
    Windows Vista 64bit,
    Windows XP

I see that the top one is the actual software package and the bottom is a readme file.

So - using this method suggests yet a third, different driver that I need. (Interesting and frustrating that going to device manager and choosing update driver, yielded none of the three options that Lenovo and Intel suggest.

QUESTIONS AND THOUGHTS;

1 - WHY IS INTEL SCANNING MY LAPTOP AND SUGGESTING THE 15. 03... DRIVER IF THAT DOES NOT SUPPORT MY THINKPAD?

2 - IT WOULD SUGGEST TO ME THAT INTEL IS SUPPORTING MY WIFI LINK 4965AGN IF IT IS SUGGESTING THAT DRIVER?

3 - WHY WOULD ON METHOD OF GOING ON LENOVO SUPPORT TO FIND THE RECOMMENDED DRIVER YIELD 13.04.000, WHEREAS THIS SECOND METHOD JOE SUGGESTED IS ALSO YIELDING THE POSSIBILITY OF THE EVEN HIGHER 14.00.1000 AS STILL SUPPORTING MY DEVICE?

4 - WHY - WHEN i FOLLOW THIS LINK DOES IT LEAD TO A 15.3.1 - WHICH IT THEN SAYS DOES NOT SUPPORT MY ADAPTER?

5 - IS IT POSSIBLE THAT INTEL IS SUPPORTING MY DEVICE - BUT THE LENOVO SITE IS NOT CURRENT SINCE THIS DRIVER IS JUST FROM JULY (OR MAY) OF THIS YEAR?

6 - IS THERE AN INCONSISTENCY IN LENOVO SUPPORT DOCUMENTS THAT SUGGEST ONE THING ONE PLACE, AND SOMEHTING ELSE SOMEWHERE ELSE? IF SO, DOESN'T THIS SUGGEST THAT MAYBE ALL THEIR INFO IS NOT UP-TO-DATE? I KNOW I'VE FOUND THAT ON DELL DOCUMENTATION FOR OLDER DEVICES - THEY SOMETIMES DON'T KEEP THEIR SUPPORT DOCUMENTS UP-TO-DATE.

7 - WHICH DRIVER SHOULD I TRY? NOW WE HAVE THREE OPTIONS - ALTHOUGH I'D ELIMINATE THE 13.04.0000 AND PICK ONE OF THE NEWER ONES.

8 - EVEN AFTER SELECTING THE DRIVER TO INSTALL, THERE WAS STILL THIS PESKY PROBLEM OF DOWNLOADING, INSTALLING - AND DEVICE MANAGER STILL NOT SHOWING THE NEWER DRIVER. SO THAT I STILL DON'T KNOW WHICH DRIVER IS INSTALLED AND DRIVING THIS NETWORK ADAPTER.

Thank you.
    Lynn.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Reading around more on lenovo, it suggested going to add/remove programs, selecting the intel wireless pro program, and checking the details.

This method showed Intel driver 13.04.0000
    This is the one the Lenovo site suggested yesterday - which is newer than what was on my computer before. Yet device manager is showing the older 13.4.0.139.

So which is it? How can I tell which driver is being used?
    This is some type of error on the computer's part, isn't it? to show different drivers when I seek the information through different avenues?

I'm hoping it is the somewhat later 13.04.0000 - as this would at least suggest that when I download and install another driver package, it is in fact being installed. And hopefully is the driver which is driving the network card.

Lynn.

• zep516
    10 years ago

This is what I see in mini toolbox,

========================= IP Configuration: ================================

EasyTether Network Adapter = Local Area Connection 4 (Disconnected)
    Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN = Wireless Network Connection 2 (Connected)
    1394 Net Adapter = 1394 Connection 2 (Connected)
    Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection = Local Area Connection 2 (Media disconnected)

Since you made some changes run mimitoolbox again, you "only " have to put a check in List IP Configuration

Click go an post the result.

Lets see if that changed. I am as lost as you here

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ran the Minitoolbox again. Log is below. But I want to also mention that I explored some more. When going to add/remove programs, Intel Pro set/Wireless Wifi Software, select details, and the box comes up listing the driver as 1304.0000. In that box I clicked product updates link: http://downloadfinder.intel.com. It says this:

Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows*

Recommended for end-customers. Includes download options for both driver-only and driver-with Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software.

OS: Windows 7 *, Windows 8*, Windows Vista *, Window .. More>includes XP

So it seems the two versions of 15 include a May 2013 release for end users (the one I'd want, I assume), and a July 2013 version of IT professionals.

NOW - onto the minitoolbox results:

MiniToolBox by Farbar Version: 13-07-2013
    Ran by Lynn (administrator) on 02-09-2013 at 13:34:59
    Running from "C:\Documents and Settings\Lynn\My Documents\Downloads"
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (X86)
    Boot Mode: Normal
    ========================= IP Configuration: ================================

EasyTether Network Adapter = Local Area Connection 4 (Disconnected)
    Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN = Wireless Network Connection 3 (Connected)
    1394 Net Adapter = 1394 Connection 2 (Connected)
    Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection = Local Area Connection 2 (Media disconnected)

# ----------------------------------
    # Interface IP Configuration
    # ----------------------------------
    pushd interface ip

# Interface IP Configuration for "Local Area Connection 2"

set address name="Local Area Connection 2" source=dhcp
    set dns name="Local Area Connection 2" source=dhcp register=PRIMARY
    set wins name="Local Area Connection 2" source=dhcp

# Interface IP Configuration for "Wireless Network Connection 3"

set address name="Wireless Network Connection 3" source=dhcp
    set dns name="Wireless Network Connection 3" source=dhcp register=PRIMARY
    set wins name="Wireless Network Connection 3" source=dhcp

popd
    # End of interface IP configuration

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : thinkpad

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.dc.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-72-9A-C9-B2

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.dc.comcast.net.

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-5C-88-6A-EB

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.137

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, September 02, 2013 9:41:01 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:41:01 AM

Server: cdns01.comcast.net
    Address: 75.75.75.75

Name: google.com
    Addresses: 74.125.228.37, 74.125.228.33, 74.125.228.39, 74.125.228.38
    74.125.228.34, 74.125.228.41, 74.125.228.32, 74.125.228.40, 74.125.228.46
    74.125.228.36, 74.125.228.35

Pinging google.com [74.125.228.102] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 74.125.228.102: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=55

Reply from 74.125.228.102: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 74.125.228.102:

Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 13ms

Server: cdns01.comcast.net
    Address: 75.75.75.75

Name: yahoo.com
    Addresses: 98.139.183.24, 206.190.36.45, 98.138.253.109

Pinging yahoo.com [206.190.36.45] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 206.190.36.45: bytes=32 time=95ms TTL=43

Reply from 206.190.36.45: bytes=32 time=95ms TTL=43

Ping statistics for 206.190.36.45:

Minimum = 95ms, Maximum = 95ms, Average = 95ms

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 timeReply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time
    Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

===========================================================================
    Interface List
    0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
    0x3 ...00 1d 72 9a c9 b2 ...... Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    0x20002 ...00 21 5c 88 6a eb ...... Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Active Routes:
    Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.137 10
    127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
    169.254.0.0 255.255.0.0 192.168.1.137 192.168.1.137 20
    192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.137 192.168.1.137 10
    192.168.1.137 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 10
    192.168.1.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.137 192.168.1.137 10
    224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.1.137 192.168.1.137 10
    255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.137 3 1
    255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.137 192.168.1.137 1
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Persistent Routes:
    None

**** End of log ****

Thank you.
    Lynn.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a link to the page that the Intel download center turned up for an XP computer, Wifi 4965AGN link. maybe seeing this page (if it dispays) will shed more light.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Wireless+WiFi+Link+4965AGN&ProdId=2753&LineId=1784&FamilyId=1783

thank you.
    Lynn.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have another link from the Intel download center below. This page seems useful. I'm trying to draw conclusions but could use a more experienced set of eyes.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2753&DwnldID=22510&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Wireless+WiFi+Link+4965AGN&lang=eng

Here are notes that seem significant:
    Additional Notes:
    The driver version of the following products will not update. The Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software version will be updated.

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
    Intel® WiFi/WiMAX Link 5350
    Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN
    Intel® WiFi Link 5300 AGN

Features removed from this version:
    Wake on Wireless LAN is not present in this version of the application.
    The Intel® My WiFi Technology application is not supported for Windows XP*. This feature is available on Windows 7* only.

OEM-supplied versus Intel-provided generic software:
    Intel recommends that you obtain and use the software provided via your laptop manufacturer.

Seems as though the proset wireless software will update from this download - but not the drivers for my 4965 adapter. But I wonder if that means it will include an earlier version. this download is from May 2013. There's a Nov 2012 version with same number - which also says the driver won't update for 4965 but the software will.

If I go to the Intel link for lenovo downloads;
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&DocID=DS030245

It points to downloading 14.03.0000. Since Intel says that the drivers won't update for my network adapter, it does seem that the best version to download would be this one from the Lenovo site. Should I just download and install it? of should I remove the current one first from add/remove?

I am ready to explore one of the two above options.

Thank you.
    Lynn.

• zep516
    10 years ago

You should be helping people, your research abilities are outstanding, I sometimes think you're helping me :)

Lets back up for a bit. Your computer is using wireless and it's working right, except for dropped connections right?

We know you're using this device Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN as shown in Minitoolbox. You obviously have the Correct driver installed or it would not be functioning at all.

Am I correct with what I said.... Tell me how the wireless connection is working for you, and how much you are loosing connection.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Joe. I probalby am pretty good at researching - but when it comes to computers, I would not have known to do any of this without your help. Each step I take, I learn more. So thank you.

My laptop is using wireless and it's working correctly except for dropping connections. But when it drops connections, it actually says that it is connected - with a strong signal, but going to status reveals little to no movement in the received or sent packets. I used to be able to click "repair" and it would disable the network adapter and re-enable it. Lately that doesn't usually work - it gets hung on one of the steps. And I have to reboot the computer bc. it won't even let me X our of the repair window.

Maybe that's an important distinction I hadn't made before. The laptop says it's connected - it does not indicate that the connection was dropped - but I can't load pages or do anything on the internet.

The fact that wireless function is working at all - doesn't that just mean that I have some correct driver in there - but it could be faulty and outdated?

I lost internet connection once last night - my laptop was not connecting. Then later we had an area comcast outage - but when comcast was back and running, DH's laptop got right back on - and mine took many more minutes (many - 3, 5, maybe even 15) until it reconnected. Sometimes i have to repair - or reboot - once or twice a day, other times it might run for days without problem.

I downloaded 14.03.0000 - but have not made any attempts to install. Waiting instruction on order of operations? uninstall previous version first? or just install and program should uninstall previous version?

Thank you.
    Lynn.

PS: in case this is useful research - and I hope it's not bc. it seems very complicated, here's another link.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&DocID=DS030245

Down the page - under Requirements - is a section that lists extra things I may need to do as prerequisites. I think/hope this won't apply to me. I do not want ot use Access Connections - don't usually - but maybe in the past when I knew less and struggled to connect, I may have gone to Access Connections a couple of times. I really don't remember, but I know i don't usually use this. As i said, I hope all this is extraneous.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Copy and paste the text between the stars into Notepad.

@Echo on
    pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
    attrib -h -s -r hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
    attrib +r +h +s hosts
    popd
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /flushdns
    netsh int ip reset all
    shutdown -r -t 1
    del %0
    Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
    Double-click flush.bat file to run it. Your computer will reboot.

Note: For Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click flush.bat and select "Run as Administrator".

See if that helps.

The above is a batch file, the process is very similar to unplugging the router an modem but you don't have to get out of your chair and look for plugs :)

This post was edited by zep516 on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 14:39

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay. I ran it. It rebooted. What I notice is that it took a bit longer to connect to the internet. I looked at status - and it took a while for the packets sent and received to build up. Even now it's about 1500 sent and 1800 received. (Maybe that's cause we flushed something that was stored in cache? or something that now has to be built up again?).

And on my Firefox, is a pop up bar at the bottom that says Mozilla Firefox seems slow to start. Now it was doing that before this troubleshooting - but hadn't done it since removing comcast software and freeing up hard drive space.

Now it just restored the last session very quickly. So I guess it was just starting up.

What's my next step?

Thank you.
    Lynn.

• zep516
    10 years ago

SpeedyFox - Boost Firefox,Skype,Chrome,Thunderbird in a Single Click!

Download speedyfox for windows from: http://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox

Close Firefox,Then double click the speedyfox Icon and click optimize.

Re - open Firefox and you may notice better performance..

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went ahead and installed Intel proset/Wireless Wifi Software 14.03.0000. Figured it was time to see what happened.

I saw something promising while it was installing. It asked if I was sure I wanted to upgrade from 13.04.000 to 14.03.0000. the fact that it recognized the software i thought I'd installed on the system this weekend - and recognized the software version I was attempting to install, makes me feel I'm on the right path.

Install finished. Rebooted. If I go to add/remove programs, and click on Intel Proset/Wireless Wifi - details, it says versions 14.03.0000. (If I go to device manager it still says the much earlier 13.4.0.139. I am going to assume for now that something is not working in device manager. Intel's own software has consistently shown different versions than the one listed there. Seems stuck on that information.

Am I right that only time will tell if the connection stays more consistent? Start up was quick, pages load quickly and I can generally get around the computer with ease, speed and no excessive CPU usage.

When I rebooted after installing the new Intel software, it was quicker and I did not get a message that Firefox was starting up slowly.

I could go ahead and install the speedyfox anyway. Or maybe better to wait and know it's there. This way I can also spend some time getting a good feel for how FF is working now that the new driver/software is installed.

I might try speedyfox on my desktop, which is also quite slow.

I think that much has been fixed on this laptop. It's too soon to know if the wireless is fixed or not. I'll report back here after using it a few days - or sooner if it drops out again.

Xmarks - still remains to be solved. I do think that installing it on chrome on my desktop screwed things up. I tried uninstalling from Chrome - but it's pesky and keep prompting me to login to xmarks. I just X out of it. Hope to get rid of it there altogether - but meantime have disabled automatic syncing.

My plan for Xmarks is to use my desktop to really sort through the bookmarks. Remove empty folders, duplicates and old, unneeded bookmarks. It's easiest for me to work on my desktop. Once the bookmarks are as I want, I'll manually upload to the server. From there, I'll manually download from the server to my laptop. I think that should do it.

There may be additional trouble that none of the automatic syncs have worked for months.

Joe, Owbist, Damcoy - thank you for help. Like Dorothy to the Scarecrow, I want to especially thank Joe for his extraordinary helpfulness and generosity.

I'm not saying I'm done here on this thread. But I don't see what more to do until I give it time to see how things run.

If there's anything else I should consider, let me know.
    Oh - maybe i should back up my C drive now? I can use that good ol' Lenovo RRBackup software. Or should I use something else. What should I back up? I don't need personal files - just the settings, drivers, programs, etc as they are currently set up after doing all this work.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    Lynn.

• zep516
    10 years ago

I would consider image software, others can help you with that. I don't do back ups. I rely on my operating system cd. If things got crazy..

If the desktop is slow, I go through the same process, start ups, TFC, check free space. I do like to look at a dds log, it will show hidden malware and toolbars, I like to see the add remove list as shown in dds too.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HI, Joe,

Thank you for all your help through this process.

I do want to tackle my desktop - but you may notice from my newest post that I'm going to tackle my daughter's laptop first. It's really unusable in it's current state - and she needs it for homework.

Lynn.

• grandms
    10 years ago

I have used the free imaging program EaseUS. You can clone your entire HDD, save to other media (I use an external HDD for my backups), and then restore the entire image to either the original HDD or a new one. This has saved me from a couple of catastrophic events. By cloning the entire HDD, you have everything just as it was when the clone was made: operating system, all programs, all documents, e-mail, etc. I found this program much easier to use than the paid Acronis program which I also have.

Here is a link that might be useful: EaseUS ToDo Backup free

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Grandms. I too have Acronis (on the desktop) but have not found it the clearest to use. I'm happy to try EaseUs ToDo Backup free. Sounds like a great solution and I'll back up to an external hard drive.

Lynn.

• big_al_41
    10 years ago

Lynn if you use CCcleaner it has a tool ( maybe under tools .. don't remember ) that shows you what is in the start up and will allow you to stop that program from running at start up .. I think it says "disable" ..this does NOT delete that program just stops it from being part of the stat up .. good luck

• owbist
    10 years ago

Big Al is right, click Tools/Startup. BUT before doing that you need to Google every entry before proceeding as most files listed are gibberish to we mere mortals. You would not want to make a mistake.

Acronis can be confusing but sit quietly and try to work it out. Now having Windows 7 and 8 I no longer use it

• zep516
    10 years ago

The only bad thing about using ccleaner for start ups, is the it makes use of MSconfig registry keys.

Did you know if you have windows defender installed you can use that program to disable start ups,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/stop-a-program-from-running-automatically-when-windows-starts

• corrine_mvp
    10 years ago

Personally, I use WinPatrol for disabling or removing programs from start up -- just one of its great features.

Although a couple of years old, the instructions with WinPatrol that I posted at LandzDown still apply. See "Start Up Programs: Remove, Add, Disable" at http://www.landzdown.com/how-to%27s-tips-information/start-up-programs-remove-add-disable/

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the last posts about start-ups. Seems there's more than one way to skin to a cat. The trouble with all these start up removers, is that if I do it on my own (with the appropriate google research), I still don't feel educated enough for some of these decisions. There are some things I could figure out on my own and plenty I couldn't. Most worrisome would be removing something from start up that is needed. If I did that, is there a way to replace it in start up? Does one of these programs allow that more easily than others?

I don't believe I have Windows defenders on any of my computers. (My husband might have this - I'd have to check bc. he surely would not know. Trimming the start ups on his computers is for another day.).

I have WinPatrol on my desktop - it tends to confuse me, but I've only used it to warn about programs trying to install start ups. I often don't understand the program - and tend to say "No" unless it's a run-once program.

Thank you.
    Lynn.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Hi Lynn,

What about Malwarebytes start up light direct link provided, see if that is easier for you to use. You still will have to do the research on the start up entry. The bleeping computer link I gave should help to do that.

I can help you with your husbands computer when you're ready, I use Hijackthis for doing start ups, so I'm not that familiar with the other options and how to restore a start up that's been stopped.

Here's an additional link about start ups, there might be something there for you.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149804

Here is a link that might be useful: startuplite

This post was edited by zep516 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 23:24

• DA_Mccoy
    10 years ago

Startup entry research: Pacs Portal and Answers That Work.

DA

• mikie_gw
    10 years ago

If you have the paid version of WinPatrol - you can look at the startup items and right click and get plus info = Tells you what the item is and what other users have said... ok to keep/delete/etc.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First I have to confess that I have not gotten to backing up the hard drive - or working on the start up programs. Other computer issues in the family took priority - and then we had non-technological family difficulties. So my focus has been elsewhere.

The internet connection still sometimes drops. Less often but it happens. I can just buy a wireless dongle.

The laptop had been running cooler after getting all the bogus programs off. But lately it's sluggish again and running hot. The hard drive is making a bad noise. Not sure how to describe it but kind of like a car struggling to turn over. It does it just occasionally - some times if it's just trying to perform some action - and just now when I started the laptop. (It has not made the sound since it started up).

Since hard drives are mechanical, does this sound like the hard drive might be failing? if it's hardware failure, is there any point in running chkdsk? or any other test?

If the hard drive is failing, could that be causing it to run hot and slow at times? seems logical to me but I have no idea.

I could inexpensively replace the hard drive. And get a wireless dongle. I imagine all that could be done for under $100 and just a small amount of time.

The other troubleshooting I did was partly to learn.
    Here's what I like about the computer and why I may want to save/keep it:
    great size - 13", light - but has a great, great keyboard for such a small laptop.

like the trackball and no touchpad.
    includes a free upgrade to Vista (so it could be used after XP is not supported)

What I don't like:
    ongoing wireless adapter problems, sometimes running hot, possible failing hard drive, no web cam.

Not sure if I'll put it to sleep soon - or try to resuscitate it. If I decide to let it die a peaceful death, there's no need to back up the HD. If I decide to replace the hard drive (if it needs it) or keep it if the HD's fine, I will back it up and make that a priority. And of course, now that I'm writing this post, it's behaving absolutely fine. Quick, cool, no noise.

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• zep516
    10 years ago

These are some typical sounds you can hear, see link.

If the hard drive is making excessive noise then yes it is starting to fail.

Click the black arrow to the right of the drive name on the web page.

Running any disk utility like check disk isn't going to help, a noise is a mechanical issue. In fact running a disk utility could prove to be to much for a drive that's making noise and totally crash it. As they say time to back up data if any important stuff you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: drive_sounds.

This post was edited by zep516 on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 21:01

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Joe.

I think I have a seagate drive - although going to my computer, device manager just gave a number starting with an st........ I seem to recall it's a seagate. The sound seems to be bad heads. So it's failing.

I keep no personal data on this laptop that I don't have elsewhere. The only thing worth copying are the programs and settings I have - only if I want to replace the drive. So if I replace the drive, any pointers for what to look for in a replacement? Current drive is 160GB and that has been more than sufficient. Should I get a cheap mechanical hard drive? or smaller solid state drive (or is that a waste on this old computer at any cost?).

Thank you.
    Lynn.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Hi Lynn,

To be honest. I think it's time to put it to rest. There will be some separation anxiety as with any loss, but I know you have the tools to deal with it...... LOL.....

Joe :)

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Joe,

I think you're right. So that is that. Time to put it to sleep. I still learned a ton from all this troubleshooting. And so appreciate your help.

Now I can move on to something more fun - like picking a new laptop. I'm thinking Windows 7 (not Windows 8). If you disagree, let me know.

Thanks.
    Lynn.