SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Crash reloading IE8

chas045
11 years ago

I guess I should have asked before plowing into this on my own. I was having problems with internet explorer8 locking up on me and requiring hard shutdowns. I first used help that said I could reset IE8 to default conditions but that didn't help and I couldn't even start searching without more hard shutdown. So I tried to uninstall the program. I believe (but not certain) that even at that point, the computer crashed finishing up the uninstall. In any case I downloaded IE8 and started to install it. Soon it starts uninstalling old version of IE, (I think it says ie8 which is what I had and it still does seem to be there although it won't really try to start). I was surprised that it was uninstalling something I thought I had uninstalled. Anyway, as it appears to get to the end of that routine, the computer gives a fatal error and automatically restarts. I can repeat this either with another attempt to unpack and load explorer or again attempting to uninstall explorer.

I am running firefox, but I would still like to have explorer. I have an old Dell inspiron8200 512meg 64gig 3/4 full, win xp sp3. I suppose I shouldn't have tried to uninstall explorer first. What do I do now?

Comments (15)