Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Virus Help

Posted by caseykees (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 19:20

My husbands computer runs Microsoft Security Essentials. The icon is red and says it needs to be updated. When I try to update, it says it is not installed. when I type in microsoft.com, it takes me to google search. When I search for microsoft, and click on a link, google said the page is missing. If I click on the "help" button in MSE, it takes me to the page where I can download MSE. I believe this is a fake page and a fake download button. ANY anti-virus software website I try to type in the address bar takes me to google search. I've tried using google chrome as well, and the same thing happens. I have tried Safe Mode, and the same thing happens. I am at a loss as to what to do. I need to scan his computer, but can't figure out how. He is running Windows XP, SP3 I believe. I get the same "google can't find the page, we don't know what happened" when I try to update his Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Virus Help

You need to use a different computer to download MSE and get the latest updates. Copy these to a flash drive or CD and use on the infected computer.

You can do the same with Malwarebytes if you wish, be sure each time to get the latest definitions so you can update once the program is installed.

o

I am trying to do that now. I wasn't sure it would let me save it to a CD. Having trouble finding a cd laying around here. LOL Is it typical that I should have to "format" the cd? I usually only burn audio files. so this formatting step is different to me.

Kathy

o

also, once i figure out how to save it to the cd, how do i know if i have all the necessary updates?

o

Kathy click here for the latest MSE definitions and howto.

Click here for Malwarebytes latest definitions

o

OH! Thank you sooooooooo much! I actually found the MSE ones and was able to get it downloaded and it's scanning right now! But I have been looking for the malwarebytes and was having NO luck! LOL Your a lifesaver!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here