Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skype won't connect

Posted by margaretoh (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 19:12

I haven't looked through all of the posts I have signed in to Skkype after getting a new password. Then when I sign in the little circle just keeps going around and the message says "Skype isn't connected.' I last used Skype 12-25-13.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skype won't connect

Try turning the modem and router off then back on. Try connection with skype..

Have you made any changes to the computer since 12-25-13. Specifically and Anti Virus program?

If you're on a wireless connection try a hardwired connection.

What version of windows are you using ?

This post was edited by zep516 on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 20:16

o

You'd think for all the hundreds of millions of Skype users that its software would be more bulletproof. But it seems not to be, my experience is that quirky behavior is sometimes encountered.

Here's what I do when that happens:

Uninstall the Skype app
Reboot your PC
Reinstall it from Skype's website.

That's always worked for me. Post back if your problem continues.

o

A family member was in the kitchen using Skype. When someone else started the microwave oven it disconnected. When the cooking was done, connection was reestablished. Coincidence? I don't think so. Maybe the OP has some unidentified RF interference going on.

o

Exactly, azinoh. Microwaves do cause interference, An audio signal like Skype doesn't take much bandwidth but any interference can cause a disconnect. Here's some info lifted from a Cisco webpage

"In reality, the many other types of devices emitting in the unlicensed band dwarf the number of 802.11 devices. These devices include microwave ovens, cordless phones, Bluetooth devices, wireless video cameras, outdoor microwave links, wireless game controllers, Zigbee devices, fluorescent lights, WiMAX, and so on. Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions. These non-802.11 types of interference typically don't work cooperatively with 802.11 devices, and can cause significant loss of throughput. In addition, they can cause secondary effects such as rate back-off, in which retransmissions caused by interference trick the 802.11 devices into thinking that they should use lower data rates than appropriate. "

o

Umm, the OP fails to state what device this is. My daughter received notice that Skype will no longer be available for her older cell phone. Any similarity?

A bit more built in obsolescence.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here