SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iesha_gw

Computer problems

Iesha
11 years ago

Please help my computer has a virus on it that is not allowing me to go on the Internet and it keeps crashing at startup and it doesn't have sound or recognize usbs

Comments (20)

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

whats usbs ?

if windows, try tapping on the f8 key repeatedly as soon as you power it on until you see a start menu
    .... choose Safe mode and run your virus scanner full scan
    ... or safe mode with networking if no virus program and you need to get online to get one, but maybe better if you stay offline until you kill it.

• Iesha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For some reason my mcafee is not scanning it's having some error and even if I go on safe mode with networking it says there's no Internet but I know the Internet is working because it's also a wifi box and my wifi works

• Related Discussions

Mulberryknob computer problem

Q

Comments (5)
    Larry, thanks. And as you can see, I'm back. I finally found the "contact us" link on the bottom of the page and learned something. If you try to post 3 pics in 3 different posts one right after the other, the spam filter catches and blocks you. So for those of us too pc illiterate to post 3 pics at once, good to know. Or even if you post in different forums, they said leave 10 minutes between them. I think this sucks but I understand they have to filter out the spam.
    ...See More

Not a computer problem, but an Ipad problem.

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi pkspigs, All I can find on the issue is "If your iPad is disabled, someone typed in the wrong passcode enough to disable it. Even an iPad that did not have restrictions on can turn up disabled if someone enables the passcode and then types in a wrong passcode multiple times." http://ipad.about.com/od/iPad_Troubleshooting/a/How-To-Fix-My-iPad-Is-Disabled.htm
    ...See More

Going nuts with computer problem!

Q

Comments (3)
    it appears to be from a website with bargains.com in the name. Is that a site you frequent and have a user name and password for? I would go ahead and run an updated malwarebytes scan to make sure you dont't have something hinky going on. Always a good idea to run malwarebytes anyway occasionally. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware that is the free version stick with the free one.
    ...See More

Can someone help with a computer problem?

Q

Comments (6)
    joann- You can also relax about it being a virus. It's just one of hundreds of things that can be adjusted on a computer and every one of us sometimes hits the wrong key. If you have more complex questions in the future, the Computer Help Forum here on GardenWeb is a good place to go.
    ...See More
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Wifi is likely just disabled in safe mode. Plug directly into the router and try Mikie's instructions.

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

Or the cd player works on the infected computer, from the computer you have been using to get here..
    Burn a cd or dvd rescue disk...

Several of the Anti-virus companies have them for download.. below is one, they have a video that shows how to. Easy stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-create-a-Bitdefender-Rescue-CD-627.html

• owbist
    11 years ago

Yes, use the Bitdefender that Mickie has pointed to, it will clean your computer for you.

I use a similar one by Kaspersky and it works just great. A little time consuming while scanning but this is not something to rush anyway.

• Iesha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When I said usbs I meant usb cord like a flash drive and my computer doesn't show regular wired Internet I think the virus may have eaten up the Internet and the sound because it's not showing anything in the bottom right corner. And I am coming on this site through my iPhone but I am gonna try to borrow my friends laptop to try and make that disk you were talking about . I also keep trying to bring the computer back to factory settings but I guess the virus is stopping it because it keeps saying error

• owbist
    11 years ago

I also keep trying to bring the computer back to factory settings but I guess the virus is stopping it because it keeps saying error

Once you have this sorted out be sure to create the recovery disks so that if this occurs again you will not be having the difficulty you are having now.

• genes
    11 years ago

Iesha..Is this a new computer that had McAfee installed on it..if so, it was only a trial version then for 3 months or so..was the program up to date (paid for)..Once you sort this out, I would suggest dropping McAfee and completely uninstalling it and using one of the free AV programs such as Avast, Avira or Microsoft Security Essentials....either of those free versions is much better than the paid for McAfee

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

ok we MUST have more info here. What is your windows version, how old is the pc, have you kept it fully updated with windows updates and current antivirus updates? Have you been using a malware scanner like malwarebytes regularly? How much Ram memory do you have and how much hard drive is available.

What had you been doing prior to this starting to happen?
    If you are using your phone are you using it from the same wifi router as the pc is connected to? If so we know the wifi works at least as far as the phone is concerned.Had you recently tried to install something or did you install something, had you got any type of pop up on the monitor saying you had an infection?
    Why are you saying it has a virus did something tell you that you had a virus?
    A virus can not eat the internet.

Please anyone coming in to get help needs to provide us with some real info on their system and tell exactly what they are seeing at the time of the problem. If you see error messages tell us exactly what they are saying.
    so far we know basically nothing at all about your computer lesha so please if you want our help we have to know what we are dealing with,it will be less frustrating for you and us.

Will be waiting for more info on this so we have some idea of what is actually happening.

• Iesha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My computer is an emachines desktop no its not new it's 2009 It has vista yes I have kept it fully updated and with antivirus I wasn't downloading anything when this happened and yes I am using the same box for wifi that my computer is plugged to I just assume its a virus because it's acting up and the reason I said a virus ate the Internet is because one minute I am on the Internet and then I restart the computer and there's no Internet and no sound and almost everything you click on says it's not installed

• zep516
    11 years ago

Hi Iesha,

Restart the computer, during restart hold the F8 key down, a black screen will appear with white letters on it. This is the Advanced Boot Options Menu. Now use the arrow keys to Select one of the options listed, I want you to select "Repair My Computer" once selected hit enter on the computer and let it do it's thing.

Joe :)

• owbist
    11 years ago

Joe wrote:- I want you to select "Repair My Computer"

Joe have you had any success with using that feature? It was also included on Win 7 and from my own experience it is nothing but a waste of time to the point I now refuse to let it run. Just curious about your own (or others) experience with it.

• zep516
    11 years ago

No! Not that I can recall not much success with it. Not really sure what is wrong with this computer, so I started with that, a system restore may be better, or system file checker, or get a Hijackthis log and see if anything stands out there.

Joe

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

Repair my computer ... on the F8 menu, takes you to the

IF the recovery environment is installed on the hard drive.. that is a SUPER Good tool.

I couldn't live without that. (combofix installs that and is one of the many things it leaves behind!)

Here is a link that might be useful: system-recovery-options

• Iesha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have tried all of this nothing works when I go to system recovery it says there's no files for restore and when I downloaded bitdefender to a disk off another computer and tried to run it on my computer it says it needs to go on the Internet which it won't do and I don't know what to do the mcafee that's on there is expired and won't uninstall actually the computer won't let me uninstall anything that's on it and I bought a virus protecter but the computer won't let me run it it and the computer keeps crashing

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

I'd probably want to try making another image disk with the Avira Rescue System iso . They remake it often so you don't need to update it. Thats the bad part of it because its outdated so quickly, wastes a dvd or cd & time.

Did you try to run the bit defender scan without updating it ?? Not all virus are brand new state of the art bad stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-antivir-rescue-system

• Iesha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It wouldn't even open the program off the disk maybe I didn't save it right I saved it onto the DVD as a data disk

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

Not a data disk ...
    you need to make a bootable 'image disk'.

.. usually if you just double click the filename.iso , windows will have a burning program that sees the .iso extension and will offer to burn an image to cd or dvd ..

I usually turn it down to 4x speed, less chance of errors in the burn. But kind of pay attention, I don't know what you have exactly installed. Bootable CD or DVD is what you will make.

If you by some strange chance, you dont have a burning program installed... umm, never used it but .. supposed to be simple...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.imgburn.com/

• Iesha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So like when I go on bit defender when I click to download it do I right click and save as on the computer then right click on the saved program and click burn to disk or am I doing it totally wrong because when I opened the cd on my damaged computer and clicked to run program it the error message said I needed to access the Internet which my computer won't do it's like the Internet and the sound were erased out theres just a red x on both also someone said I may need to reinstall vista which is hard to find I found a couple of free trails of windows 7 until I can buy it but I am having the same problem as bit defender maybe I am doing it wrong

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I would recommend going to LzD and getting one on one assistance to find out what kind of infection you have because there's a few that will block you from going online and being able to use any program. The team at LzD will lead you through the scans.
    Go there, register, start your own thread telling what has happened, post in the malware removal area. I am there also let me know if you have problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: LzD