Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about adding a different browser

Posted by casi (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 18:20

Hi! I use IE9 currently. I have purchased some on-line sewing classes and my current internet connection (Wild Blue) is not fast enough to watch the videos easily, although it seems like later at night I can watch them. It was suggested to download Google Chrome. Can I do that and what happens to IE? Will it add a lot to my hard drive? This is an area that I know nothing about. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about adding a different browser

Install it from Google site, but watch the install and watch for the check box 'Make google my default browser' or any other extra that might appear that you probably dont want.

Its maybe 20mb so unless your hard drive is already low on space, its not really big. But its about the same speed as IE9 for most people.

IF Your internet speed is slow during normal hours .. Chrome isnt gonna fix that.

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

o

Thanks

o

I E stays exactly the same, you are not affecting it. To use IE just click on the IE icon on the desktop, to use Chrome or firefox or any other browsers just click on the icon for it on the desktop. You can have more than one open at a time if you want.
It is just another program. I don't think it will affect the hard drive they are not to large.
Whether it will be faster depends on why it's slow. If it is your Internet Speed connection then it won't matter.
What you can do that might help is start the video then pause it while it finishes loading, you can see the progress bar, then start viewing it, that allows the buffer to catch up.

o

"What you can do that might help is start the video then pause it while it finishes loading, you can see the progress bar, then start viewing it, that allows the buffer to catch up.

I did that a lot when I was on dial-up and it worked well. When things were really large/long I'd start it then minimize it (hit the minus key up top) and you can still use the computer while it loads. It will be waiting at the bottom of your screen when you are ready.

o

"LOL" NOT funny!

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here