Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pandigital Novel (new thread)

Posted by ravencajun (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 17:50

since our other thread went to the limit I decided it best to start a new general thread for the PDN.

I found something interesting, I am helping some people on another forum with their new PDN and told them to go read the manual in the library, well I just went to my library to read mine and I am surprised to find it is a NEW version, the original one had a blue front this one has a gold front and the info is different in places.

I did find how to remove the browser bookmarks.
On the browser window, tap Menu tap bookmarks in the Bookmarks tap check mark next to the bookmark you want to delete tap delete selected, tap x to close the window and return to the web page
Also learned that the last 8 websites you visited are cached and listed in the Windows screen allowing you to quickly return to them. The window screen is in the menu bar and looks like 3 pages overlapping each other.

I also did not know you could copy and paste but the directions tell how to do that too using the menu more options then the abc icon.

I had posted in the other thread that apparently the usb download method for firmware is still giving the 7-18 version and not the 8-06 version, to get the latest you have to use the SD card method.

Link back to original thread, would hate to lose all that info.
new ebook reader available soon does much more

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pandigital Novel (new thread)

Raven thanks for continuing this. I haven't found the time to turn mine on yet, but am copying the threads to help me along when I do. The lady who sold me mine was quite impressed with it. She deleted the BB&B stuff, did flash or what ever. I love technology, but a slow starter with this kind. If it was a computer that thing would be on 10 minutes after I carried in the house. LOL

o

I looked at mine to do the bookmarks delete from the browser but mine does not have the box in front of each bookmark to put the check mark in that must have been one of the changes that happened in one of the latest firmware updates. I will have to break down and stop using it long enough to do my updates LOL.

o

I've got the 8/6 firmware and those boxes aren't showing up for me, either.

o

well that is interesting then, it gives those directions in the manual that is now in the MY library. At least I know it is not just me LOL

o

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to find out if I can change the browser home page on the Novel. Pandigital.net is the default. I can't find where I can do that. Help? :)

o

yes I changed mine to msn or msnbc I think it has a settings option in the browser menu, you have to look in that drop down menu where you see the back button and the bookmarks button on that bar there is another button that is options or settings I don't remember now and am not in the room with my PDN, any how you hit that and you get to the place where you can change the settings for the browser including the homepage.

o

Thank you, RC. I wasn't seeing the additional icons when I touched "more" from the home browser page. I'm all set!

Also, you'll laugh, but last night was the first night I did some extensive reading on the PDN. It was more than satisfactory. I turned the backlight down fairly low and it was pretty easy on the eyes. My Kindle is very comfortable and maybe a little more so for me, but the PDN was just fine and I'm very happy with all the other great things it does. A great little gadget!

My Body Glove was to have been delivered yesterday but didn't come. I called Amazon and they said to give it until Monday. I see they temporarily not in stock so others must have discovered it from your review. :)

Pam

o

yes about 10 people that I know of on other forums have ordered it also, several got theirs already however and like it a lot.

Glad you got your homepage taken care of.

I read on mine every night, I set it to night read and really enjoy reading on it, have not had any eye strain or problems at all.

o

I was on a 3 hour flight today and listened to podcasts while reading a regular book (non ebook). When I got to the hotel, I watched an episode of Leverage that I recorded on a PC with a TV card. I finished my book, so on the way back, I'll either be listening to podcasts and reading ebooks or watching other shows I recorded. I left my ipod on a plane a month or so ago and this makes a nice replacement. It's bigger and has less storage (I've got a 4 gb internal and an 8 gb in the slot), but the larger screen is nice for watching video and reading books. It's a lot faster to boot than a laptop or netbook and is easier to hold in the airplane seat and it's nice to be able to turn it one direction for books and the other direction for videos.

I really like this thing.

o

Turning mine on is the first priority when I return from my trip. I was going to buy the body glove, but was afraid it would come while I was out of town. I am looking forward to staying in Frank Loyd Wright's only skyscraper. I hope I can get a tour while I am there. I am really looking forward to it. There are only 19 guest rooms and the 5th floor still has some of the orig Phillips offices.

o

bpgreen have you done the hacks on yours? Have you found the 8-06 firmware better than the original 7-05 firmware. Same question to any that have done that upgrade in firmware.

I assume you have opened the back since you have changed the internal to a 4 gb card did yours have the tape in the back or was it gone? Some had said the later ones they were no longer putting all that tape inside the back cover.

Wow Vala55 I am envious of your trip! love Wright's work and would really enjoy seeing some in person.

I have been using mine every single day, I am finding myself not using my netbook near as much now that I have the PDN.

o

It's only 158 miles from my home, so it will be a pleasant drive. Now if I just had a companion for the trip, but alas Sean Connery is busy this week. Another time.....

o

I haven't done the hacks. I keep hoping they'll open it up a bit so the hacks don't need to be done, but I may hack if they don't.

I've got the 8/6 firmware. I think I updated to the 7/24 right away (and the 7/25 was gone before I saw it). I think videos are smoother (or at least video and sound synched better) with the 8/6 firmware.

I was going to use the netbook as a wireless access point, but haven't had enough free time to do much of anything.

I did open the back and mine had the tape (I had to watch the video to figure out how to get it open).

o

Hi,
I finally got my case! And I like it very much. But,I have a question. For you who have the Body Glove case...does your charger and cord fit in the storage section? Mine doesn't. :( I think there would be too much pressure on the face of the PDN to try to zip it closed.

o

I have not tried the charger wart in there because I keep mine plugged in all the time but I do have the usb cord stored in mine. I wondered if the power wart would fit, I know the one for the kindle is smaller. Not a big deal for me but would be nice for it all to fit together.
If it seems like it would push on the glass I sure would not chance it.

thanks bp for that info

o

Am I right that there is an 080610 update? I just did an update from the Pandigital website via the USB cable and when I checked at the end of the successful update, I still had the 071810 version. ??? Thanks!

o

yes Pam I had posted about that the cable method is still giving the old firmware it is a mistake on pandigitals part and should have been fixed, but if you do the SD card method you get the new latest firmware of 8-06.
Maybe everyone should start emailing pandigital support and they would fix that, I mean that is pretty important.

o

Oh thanks...sorry, I missed that post...and evidently more than once! :)
Pam

o

One word of warning on updating your firmware. They allude to this, but I don't think it's completely clear. If you update your firmware, all your bookmarks, cookies and browser history are gone (I guess that's one way to delete a bookmark, but it deletes all of them). Also, if you have ebooks from bn, you need to re-enter your name and credit card number to access bn books (even books that were free bn downloads).

o

yes it wipes it clean, if you put all your purchases/books on the external sd card you can use them from there and not have them wiped out.
There is a way to do it with out wiping it all out, they have that info over on slatedroid.

o

I just saw that there's a new firmware available. It's dated 8/20 (looks like they're spending a week testing now).

I'm downloading it now. I wish they'd give some info on what the new firmware provides.

o

this time the new firmware is available on both options the usb cable and the SD card. This one is taking a long time to download, some said up to an hour. They are busy dissecting it on slatedroid to see what is new and it is sounding like a lot has changed in this one.

o

I haven't done any updates yet. My PDN is working pretty well, with the exception of a couple of minor glitches which could be attributed to the operator. It seems that a new update is coming out just about every week or so, is this normal for a new device? I think I'll wait a bit longer before doing an update, might save myself some time and trouble. Also a bit intimidated about doing one. Mare

o

Yes it is normal for a new device especially if you have a company that is attentive to the users wants and needs and continues to support and try to upgrade and make their product better. Unfortunately now days many companies throw out a product and could care less about updates and fixes once they made their money.
so to me it shows that pandigital is being proactive in trying to improve their product. They had said before selling the first PDN that they would continue support and would in the near future make available an update which would allow use of other android apps and access to the android market. That is the big one I am waiting for.

You do not have to do the updates, it is totally up to you. I read up on each one and see if they sound like they would be a big improvement to my PDN, if not I don't do them just wait for the next one. They are easy to do so do not be intimidated.

o

I was just over at Slatedroid to see what they had to say about the latest update. Could someone please tell me what language they're speaking. Mare

o

Meant to ask in my previous post. Will doing an update cause me to have to redo my wireless network?

o

"I was just over at Slatedroid to see what they had to say about the latest update. Could someone please tell me what language they're speaking. "

English. With a fair amount of technical terms.

"Meant to ask in my previous post. Will doing an update cause me to have to redo my wireless network?"

If you're asking whether you'll need to make changes to the router configuration, the answer is no. But if you're asking whether you'll need to re-enter your key in the PDN Novel, the answer is yes.

o

very good article on slatedroid doing a comparison between the Cruz ereader and the PDN, looks like it may be the same animal inside. But the Cruz will cost quite a bit more.
Are the Cruz reader and Pandigital one and the same? ( we think so)

I am still very happy I got the PDN, and very glad I got the white one and not the black one that is coming out now.
They did mention that BJ's has the black PDN for $159.

o

Where do I download the new manual (gold front page).
Looking forward to this forum - very happy with the PDN

Rick

o

Rick go to your My Library area in your PDN open the pandigital manual there, see if when it opens it has a gold cover, mine shows the blue cover on the shelf but when I click on it voila the gold cover comes up.

You can download the pdf versions of the manuals from pandigital on the same page you get your firmware updates at the very bottom of that page is the link to the manual and user guide.

o

Ravencajun,

Mine still comes up blue. I have the latest hardware update. I went to the Pandigital web page and it now has only the download for the white or black PDN and does not have the start guide or manual any more.

Ideas?

Rick

o

wow they really did change the download page quickly and you are right the manuals are not there. I do have the pdf copy saved to my pc so I can always provide it, I also have copies of all of the various firmware saved. Slatedroid had been saving all of that stuff to their site also.
The 2 user manuals I have have on the front cover which is blue v2.4 and v3.1 and the one that is on my PDN that has the gold cover is v2.1

I can always load one on a drop site if anyone should need one of them. Check the version on the manual on your PDN you probably have the latest version.

also the smart people over at slatedroid have created a wiki for the PDN that is extremely helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: pdn wiki

o

Thanks again Ravencajun,

I have v2.6 and it does not have the new stuff on how to delete Bookmarks (when on the web) etc. I guess from your post that your Gold Cover one does. I don't know of a drop site however, you can send me the PDF at Rickw5arg@yahoo.com

I did check out the pdn wiki and it does have a lot of info. I have not "hacked" my unit yet to be able to add other programs. I also have a Kindle and would like an app to read Amazon emooks. I understand there is one. I'm new to this stuff. However, I do have a good working knowladge of windows.

Rick

o

yes and the new easy hack method is listed in a link in the wiki, basically all you do is get the special modded Firmware that he has created(with out Market and Google experience) and save the zip to your pc then open that zip to find inside the actual modded firmware zip, then you use that one just like you do any firmware zip and put it on an sd card and install into the PDN as usual, it will put the hacks right on it and also add many of the Android apps, one app available is the kindle one. I have not used this method yet but it is the way I am likely to go since they have now made it so easy to do.
You have a more updated manual on yours than I did, I do have the PDF copy of that later one that was on the pandigital web site.

o

I guess if it does not work I can just reload the program from the Pandigital web site?

I have not use aps before so it will be a learning curve. Does the program give you a list of aps you can add or is there a library of aps you can use to download which ones you want?

What is the name of the program on the wiki website?

You have been a big help - thanks

Rick

o
RE: Pandigital Novel wiki website

I guess if it does not work I can just reload the program from the Pandigital web site?

I have not use aps before so it will be a learning curve. Does the program give you a list of aps you can add or is there a library of aps you can use to download which ones you want?

What is the name of the program on the wiki website?

You have been a big help - thanks

Rick

o

it is The Nchntrman Experience link, he provides a list of the apps in his description at that link and also he has added in the browser that comes with it a list of faves which are repositories for many other apps that can be added. If you read that entire thread he tells exactly how to add any of those extra apps once you have it all installed. Many have installed it and report back favorably.

And yes should you decide you do not like it all you have to do is just reflash the regular firmware from the pandigital site.
Right now his version is using the 7-24 firmware he is working on doing one with the newer firmware from 8-06 or 8-20 which is what I think I will wait on. He said if anyone already has the 8-06 or later firmware from pandigital it seems to work better to flash back to the original 7-24 firmware then do his modded 7-24 version.

I tried your email addy as in your post to send the pdf file but it came back as a failed email.

o

Sorry, try rickw5arg@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks again.

o

bumping thread for Casi

o

Thanks Raven. I'm following along. Looks like it might be over my head, but interesting. If I get one, I'll be a regular poster on here for sure!!!

So, I should print off the Walgreen ad. You think they will honor an "on-line only deal"/??

o

that is the catch but most of the people who tried it were able to get it done, over on slatdroid there is a thread about it and the majority did get it accepted, would just depend on the person at the store you get.

It is not over your head, you can use it as is and not ever bother with doing any of the hacks or stuff, and doing a firmware update is very easy now if you needed to do one. There is another thread here that got so long it would not let us post any more to it which is why I had to start this one so you can look for it too.

o

The original thread is linked in the first post.

Here it is again just in case.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread

o

Thanks!

o

Just dropping in to mention that one of the Home Shopping channels had the PDN in black or purple on sale late last nite for $169 + shipping. Sure made me glad that I got it when I did for a lot less. Mare

o

I finally bit the bullet and ordered from Walgreen's. Their price is $159.99 and there is a $10 credit because of their 10th anniversary, making the price $149.99 plus shipping of $4.99 and tax. I missed a Pandigital mail-in rebate of $10 that was good on units purchased between Sept. 12 and Sept. 18. If I had seen that, I surely would have ordered earlier. Of course, the Walgreen credit may not have been in effect then. Anyway, I'm looking forward to receiving it and playing around with it.

o

excellent keep us posted on how you like it, I know there have been some good sales on them at Kohl's again also.
And again anyone getting the PDN be sure you get the white one not the black one.
Also Bed Bath And beyond now is carrying the faux leather cases that are made for the PDN and also the gel covers, you can use their 20% off coupons for those and bring the price down. You may have to search for them in the store though one person said they found them with the picture frames instead of with the PDN.

o

My PDN arrived today, and I'm having fun playing around with it. Surely wouldn't want to have to rely on it entirely for e-mail and web surfing, though. Just sent an e-mail and it took a while to tap out the letters on the virtual keyboard.
Also, once I got it in capital letter mode, it would not go back to lower case letters.

Mine is white, although there wasn't a choice given when I ordered, so I am happy about that. The manual has the blue cover. I'll have to see about getting a case for it now. I do like the night reading setting. I had to enlarge the fonts to the next to largest setting. Nearly put my eyes out trying to read the manual. Think I'll look up anything I need to find in the online version.

o

Can ebook readers, specifically the Pandigital Novel, download/display and allow you to check out digital content (books, music, and/or video) from a public library's online selection?

o

"Can ebook readers, specifically the Pandigital Novel, download/display and allow you to check out digital content (books, music, and/or video) from a public library's online selection?"

That would depend on the format your library uses. Out of the box, it supports epub and pdf. Hacked, it will support Kindle.

It handles MP3s fine.

I think it's limited to MP4 for video format.

o

yes it does you use a service called overdrive to use the library. PDN does support Adobe digital editions there is an icon on the menu bar for it, you must register for it of course. This link may be helpful. And you would use the epub format.

How To Get Free eBooks From Libraries Using Overdrive

I have not yet done it because I have to go get my library card, but have seen some on slatedroid who have.

o

Very useful information! Thanks bpgreen and ravencajun.

o

Raven, I got it! I did the Walgreen thing at BB&B. The manager told me that he would make an exception this one time! He doesn't usually honor on-line sales. I told him that I'd heard that other Walgreen's did. He didn't seem impressed! I have skimmed thru the postings for my problem. I can't get the PDN support to open on the net. I have a wireless router in my house. When I try to select a network, under settings, it says my network is remembered, secured with WEP....then it says "not in range", remembered?????? What does that mean? Do you know? I am in the bedroom now using my laptop which is connected wirelessly. Don't know what is WEP. I put in my password for my Trendnet at one point and that seems to make it be recognized.

o

yes you would need to enter your password for your wireless network for it to gain access to your wireless network.

Open your pdn and go to the settings icon select it then up at the top keep hitting the right pointing arrow till you get to the page that gives the info about your unit, it will have your model number, serial number and also your firmware version number, copy that firmware number and tell me what it is please. while you are there be sure you write down all of your info somewhere because sometimes when you do an update on it the serial number disappears.

We may need you to do the latest firmware update to help your wifi connect. Mine does exactly what you describe but after I wait a few seconds it will pop up showing it is obtaining an IP address then it will show connected to my wifi. Have you tried using the manual button in network to try that?

o

Hey Raven! My Firmware version is 510_08_20_B3_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP. I don't know how to fill in the information manually. What does WEP mean?

o

WEP is the type of security that is set up on your router and wireless network.
Ok you have the 8-20 firmware which was the latest version released in the regular firmware.
when you went to settings to try to get the PDN to connect to your wifi did it pop up on the PDN and ask you for your password to your network and did you enter the password into the PDN? The password you need is the one that any pc or laptop has to use to be able to use your wireless network, the password to the actual router is something different.

o

It asked for a password and I put the one in that is required for my router.
I wonder why their website is unaccessible? I guess I'll try to call the number and see if they can help me.
I'll let ya know how it goes.

o

their website is down has been since early yesterday I would guess they are having server problems.

what exactly do you mean is required for your router? do you mean the one that you use to be able to get into your router to change it's settings? if so that is not the right password.
the one you need is your WEP password that allows you to gain access to your wireless network, if you have a laptop it would be the password you have to enter for that laptop to be able to access your wireless and go online.

once you said it showed your network name and that it was remembered did you tap on that name and tell it to connect to that network?

there is a new firmware that just came out recently but with their site being down you will have to wait to try that.

One thing you can try is use a paper clip and use the little hole up by the power button to turn it off and do a reset using the paper clip, then reboot it.

o

Hey Raven! I did it! I went into my desk top which is Windows 7 and I was able to find the necessary information to do it manually! I must have put in the right information because when I went back to "Home" I was connected! yahee!
So, I will be playing around, trying to figure out how to use it. I think I really like it so far. One thing....it recognized Facebook, that is a yahoo thing, but I can't use my yahoo e-mail address? I hate to create another e-mail. I already have several! lol

o

I am so glad you got it worked out! The wifi usually works really well once you get it all set up so glad that is done now.

i do not know why you would not be able to use yahoo email I set mine up using my hotmail with no problem.

Let us know if you have any problems or questions. and ENJOY!

o

We recently purchased pdn white from Bed bath and beyond. It is truly an amazing machine, but we returned the first one because it would not maintain Internet connection. we exchanged for a new one and are having the same problem. will connect for less than a minute then disconnect. Very frustrating. Anyone having or had the same problem? Any suggestions?

o

Have not had this problem. Do you have a good strong wi-fi signal? Is there something such as a cordless phone that could be interfering with the signal?

The first thing I did was update the firmware, as I understand some of the early problems with the Pandigital have been corrected by the updates. If you can get connected long enough to do the updates, by all means get them.

o

what version of firmware is on your PDN? go to settings when that opens click on the right pointing arrow at the top keep doing that till you get to the page with your unit info, there you will see the firmware version listed please tell me what it says there.

some firmware versions did have a bit of a problem with wifi, mine has never had a problem, if it does drop it picks it right back up and the only time it drops is when I am in the far end of the house away from my wireless router.

Also is your PDN in any type of case? some times a case can affect the signal since the antenna is running along the inside edge of the case.
Any other type of wireless device can interfere like phones, speakers, remotes etc

o

I just checked my email and found that QVC is offering this:

Multimedia Wi-Fi eReader: Save Over $70 Off MSRP + Free S&H

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.E166660.promo.RW7.cm_scid.mail?cm_ven=APTSV&cm_cat=PANDIGITAL1010&cm_pla=INACTIVE&cm_ite=TSVLOGO_E166660

I have no idea if this is a bargain because I have not followed the discussion on the Pandigital.

o

I would not go for that one it is the black model and the price is not that great, too many problems with the black version, by the way when they show colors like purple or pink it is just a gel cover that is on either the white or black version.

o

I'm having major frustration!

I finished reading one of the pre-loaded books on my PDN, and decided to get a new book from B&N. I "bought" a freebie and it shows in my NOOK library on the B&N site. But when I go to Get Books on my PDN it doesn't show up on the list of possible downloads.

I have a default CC on the account. I've downloaded a sample of another book, so I know I can download something. I don't get any error messages; the book just doesn't show up on the list of books I can download.

Any ideas? Thanks!

o
RE: Pandigital Novel (new )

Never mind. Somehow I fixed it - don't know how. I did several things including downloading Nook for PC, where I was able to get the book. Then I went back to my PDN and tried again, this time retyping the password, and it worked. Perhaps the password had been wrong all along, but you'd think it would have mentioned that little detail if it couldn't log in.

Sure hope I enjoy the book!

o

my guess is the password was the issue.
Mine has always immediately put them in my list and it is very fast to then put them on my PDN.
I just got a few new ones over at feedbooks.com

Just in case you did not know, in your library is the user manual for the PDN it is a good manual and covers a lot of stuff that I did not know about till I read the manual.

o

Raven when you down load a book, what does the file look like. I downloaded some of the free books to my computer and the file didn't have a name or anything. Is that normal?

o

I of course download them in epub format since I am using it on my PDN, they do not have cover art or most do not some do, they come with the name of the book as the file name.

For example from feedbooks.com I downloaded this book
How To Disappear Completely
it shows up in my PDN library as the name How to Disappear Completely

What do you mean that it did not have a name? what does it show up as?

The ones I download from B&N free ebooks all have the cover art and look exactly as they do on the website.

I do not download them to my computer though I download directly to my PDN while it is connected to my wifi and I use the browser to go to the site and get it directly from there with my PDN.
If I am getting kindle format books for my kindle for pc then those do get downloaded to my netbook.

o

It was just a jumble of letters and numbers. When I clicked on it I get a message that it can't be opened, then asks what I want to open it with. It is the same with the free books for kindle on the PC that you told us about a few months back.

I still have the Kindle downloads, but I think I deleted the ones for the PDN. I will download to my PDN next time and see how it goes. Thanks

o

you do have to have a reader program on the pc for them to be read so for the epub ones you can use the Nook for pc which you can download from B&N.

with the kindle downloads it downloads them directly into my kindle for pc application.

are you sure you are selecting the proper file type for the download as to which program you will be using it with?

o

I don't know to much about it to be honest I haven't even turned on my reader. I am doing that tomorrow, will probably be snowed in. LOL

By the way, have you heard anything about scanners that can scan a book so it can be put on an e reader? It was in our local paper and I am going to look it up on the internet again and print off the article.

o
RE: Pandigital Novel (new thread)abc

Sorry I should have done the research first. I copied and pasted the 1 paragraph article.

With the explosion of e-readers in the last few years, ION, a company known for making products simple, affordable and easy to use, has announced the Book Saver Book Scanner.

The scanner converts books to digital files with ease, and stores them directly onto SD memory cards. From there, the files can be transferred to an e-reader or computer.

To get this done, the scanner has two flash-equipped cameras, which take separate images of each page within an open book in rapid succession.

Books are kept in a cradle during scanning to keep the pages angled correctly in a flat, even manner. Scanning is done at a rate of two pages per second. Details: www.ionaudio.com, $189

o

Thanks, raven. I also suspect it was the password, although it didn't behave like I would expect with a bad password. I had already (re)read the manual before posting here. After my throwing-up-my-hands-in-frustration post, I went into back-to-basics-try-EVERYTHING-again mode, which is when I retyped the password. It's all good now.

vala, it sounds like you are doing everything except trying out your new toy. Try it, you'll like it! Just be methodical in following the instructions in the manual. Be patient with yourself while you get used to the on-screen keyboard. I found that using a stylus or closed pen worked better for me than my fingernail, but you probably have better nails than I do.

o

Thanks Susan for the encouragement. I am going through some kind of depression, though not serious, it's enough to make projects like this more difficult to start.

o

vala,

I'm sorry to hear that - I understand how starting something can look like an uphill climb. No pressure - just open it and look at it. If you feel like pushing a button you can, or not.

It comes with some preloaded books, so you could just read one of those and leave the internet connection for later. This thing is SO MUCH more simple than your computer.

o

It really is that simple pull the on off button to turn it on let it boot up and there is a lot you can do with out ever dealing with the wifi connection, read the preloaded books and especially the preloaded user manual, play some of the preloaded games, get your time and date set up which really should be done when you first open it and that is as simple as setting a clock.
As to doing updates you do not have to do them if you don't want to totally up to you, Mine has worked perfectly so have not needed to do updates. They can be done at any time and it is easy to revert back to older ones too.

So no need to stress over it, in fact reading a little on it may help relax you, it is what I do every night in bed, play a few games of solitaire then read and before I know it I am dozing off.

o

What was that posting earlier....the cordless phone can interfere with the wifi? I was reading in bed last night and I checked to see if I was connected and I was not, which I had noticed a few nites ago and didn't fool with it at the time. So last night I went to settings and forced it to connect but I noticed within minutes it had disconnected itself. I have a cordless there in the bedroom on one of the nightstands. Could that be a problem. I still haven't really even used the wifi connection, just thought I'd play around with it a little last night when I did get connected...but it didn't last long.

o

it can yes they may share the same frequency, also if your bedroom is far from your wireless router that may also be why it is falling off, when it is showing connected in that room is it showing strong signal full bars or just one bar and the dot etc? if it is a weak signal it may be that your router signal is not reaching that far.
My PDN in my bedroom has a much weaker signal than in my living room but it is much farther from the router there with several walls between.

o

I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I need help please. My new (6 days) PD won't turn on. The battery is not dead. I thought it just timed out because I left it sitting on my bed and turned on for maybe 20 minutes. I've plugged it in to charge, and also pushed the reset button. Nothing is happening. I'm already addicted to this thing, and I don't know what to do! Thanks.

o

you might try going to the Pandigital site and trying to do the firmware update, that may reset it, be sure you get the proper one, the one for the white USA one.

If that does not work you may have to very carefully open the back and remove then reseat the mini memory card.

when you use a paper clip to hit the little bitty reset button did you push it till you heard it click? It does not work unless it clicks.

Or since you just got it take it back and get another one if you got it at bed bath and beyond they are very good about returns and exchanges. I mean every product every once in a while you get a bad egg. Personally I think that is what I would do if doing a firmware update did not correct it. And in all honesty if it will not turn on even with the reset button you may not get it to take a firmware update.
Downloads -- Pandigital Novel eReaders
If you do try to remove the back and remove the mini sd card you may want to go to youtube and do a search there for that because there are some good videos that have been posted showing that.

By the way totally off topic to this thread but wanted to say I was at Bed Bath and Beyond last night and they have the new bigger 9" PDN available now. Nice looking but the price is well over $200, to much for me.

o

Quite frankly, I don't think I would like a larger size, as it would be too unwieldy for me. I like the size of the original one just fine.

o

Hey, glad to see this thread is up at the top....I just returned from visiting my Grandkids, my 10 yr. old grandson has a Kindle. He says that he gets pictures on his kindle.....like illustrations. Does the PDN? My daughter wants me to wait and buy the paperback "Water for Elephants" because she wants me to see the pictures. Also, Grandms and Raven, have you read "Outlander"? What did you think? I loved it. Never heard of it before I got it as a freebie. I'm hooked...found a Outlander bookclub website (just what I need, talking about wasting time on the computer) and am in the process of acquiring the rest of the series!

o

No I have not read it yet for that reason everyone I know that reads it is hooked and has to have the rest, I have seen them all in the used book store though so I know I can find them pretty cheap. If the book has pictures and illustrations it should show them. The kindle can not do color though, no idea how they would be since I have not had any ebooks yet that had pictures.

I was not interested in the bigger PDN either, I like the size of the one I have and the price of mine sure was a lot better.

o

Yes, for the investment, I think we have the better deal. I was comparing my grandson's Kindle to my PDN....the Kindle is nice and light and so thin. I just discovered the dictionary on the PDN.....the Outlander has words I never heard of....so simple to check out their meaning (like I will remember! but I'm making an effort...(I'm over 60)) hee hee
Raven....the Outlander is awesome. It has such a following, you wouldn't believe. The followers have back up copies so they can lend out, etc. It is a big deal. Can't wait for you to join us! lol

o

Yes, I read Outlander and loved it! I notice that it now sells for $7.01 @ B&N. The next two sequels are $5, and I'm thinking of buying those since my daughter was kind enough to give me a B&N gift card for ebooks.

o

that is a very good price at $5 lower than many paper back books these days.
I might start it after I finish a real book I just started called The Ladies Farm, it is pretty small so if I spend time reading it won't be too long.
I have the spring cleaning bug and it has been interfering with my fun stuff LOL

o

Is the Outlander the series about a scottish woman who walked between some stones and went back in time 200 years?

o

Yes, but she was English and was in Scotland when this took place, and 200 years before, the English were the "enemy" of the Scots.

o

I have a pandigital 6 inch model. I can't get my books to fit on the screen where I can read them! This is much harder to use than my 7 inch white! Can you tell me where to go to find out how to fix this? Thanks.

o

Raven, do you leave your sd card in the slot all the time or just when you want to read or load a book on the PDN. I finally turned mine on, charged it, set the time, date, etc.. and started to calibrate it but stopped there. I printed off the manual and will check on that before I try. I love being able to surf on it. I won't do much, but if I am traveling I can check my email. I am very glad I bought it.

o

I do not leave an sd card in mine, I have all my books on the pdn built in memory. I just go to Barnes and Noble website look for books usually the free ones select those which makes you "buy" them but it is free if it lists the price as $0, once you do that all you have to do is open your pdn click on your library and at the top click to get books and it opens up your B&N list to tick off which ones to put on the PDN. very very easy.
For music I have mine on an sd card so use it when I want to listen to my music.

what do you mean wyobugmama the 6" PDN?? there is no 6" there is the original 7" and the new 9"

I think both are the same you tap at the top of the page in a book and change the font size there. Double tapping on the page will sometimes also zoom it, like when you are viewing a web page if it is too small you double tap on the page to make it zoom bigger.
I would go to the library on your PDN and look through the user manual for the one you are having problems with. Or go to the pandigital website and search there.

o

Yep, it's a 6 inch and you can see it here:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2010/10/18/new-e-reader-form-pandigital-sipix-screen-wifi-199/
It's really light-weight, but no matter what I've tried, I can't get the type big enough to read. anything over "small" skews the letters on the page. It's okay, just a $100 mistake on my part! Got it on ebay, can't return it. I'll go do more reading. Thank you.

o
What is the current firmware version?

I haven't taken my PDN out in many months and was happy to see that it was still charged when I started it! :)

I went online per raven's link and downloaded and installed the upgrade but see that my current firmware version is still S10_07_18B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP...I think that's an old one? Is that the one I'm supposed to have?

Also, I expected my home screen to change dramatically after the upgrade. It looks very different from the one I see at the link. I have 2 bars visible...the Bookstore at the top and My Library in the middle. My icons are hidden at the bottom as before and I can bring them up with the up arrow at the bottom edge of the screen.

Is that what it's supposed to look like?

Thanks!

o

ahhh well I did not know that they had put out one of the e-paper versions. It is quite different than the android 7" PDN. I know nothing about this 6" one.
Personal eReader

pfmastin I assume you are talking about the major update they have on the PDN update page? I have not done it so can not comment on the changes. If you are still seeing the same screen as before it appears you do not have the new update since that screen does look very different.

o

By the way anyone wanting one I got info that Office Max has a sale on them for $129 also Radio Shack has them for $129 and some said they also got a $10 discount. Am also hearing that BBB is no longer going to be carrying them at all which is strange because BBB is still listed on the PDN site. And apparently there is all new packaging.

And for those that are going to take the plunge and do the new major update this info might come in handy. It is how to save your current firmware should you need to revert back to it. taken from page 64 of their new user manual

New major update info for PDN

Re-Upgrade
If you have previously performed a firmware upgrade to your device using one of the above methods, we recommend that you move the existing upgrade file into a different folder before performing another upgrade, which allows you to revert back to the existing version if desired.
1. Connect the device to your computer.
2. In a Windows Explorer or Finder window, create a new folder titled Firmware, and then copy the existing upgrade file into the Firmware folder. (The upgrade file is named similar to SYY_MM_DDK_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.)
3. Perform the new upgrade using one of the methods above.

Revert back to Previous Version
1. Connect the device to your computer.
2. In a Windows Explorer or Finder window, delete the upgrade file from the root, and then copy the upgrade file from the Firmware folder back into the root of the device.
3. Turn your device off.
4. Press the Volume + key plus slide the power key on simultaneously for 5 seconds, and then release both.
5. Your device is upgraded again and restarts automatically.
6. Follow the prompts to re-set your language and date and time.

o

Attention anyone wanting to do that new major update this is a great resource on how to get apps and other neat goodies once you have done that.
Pandigital Novel App Installation Tutorial (Video)
there is a video tutorial included.
Once you have done this major update if you get the youtube app you will then be able to watch youtube videos on your PDN. There are lots of neat apps that are free to choose from.

o

Raven, I have the free "Outlander" for Kindle on my pc. I posted this on the wrong thread, as I was reading the other one while looking to see if I had "Outlander" for Kindle.

o

oh would you mind sharing the file? I looked everywhere thinking surely there would be somewhere online that had stored those for future use but can not find it.

o

We can try. How do you want to do it?

o

I grabbed a throw away email so we can try to send it to that if you would.
bloospoudsa@dunflimblag.mailexpire.com

never tried so no idea.

o

On it's way. Hope it works.

o

it did!! thank you so much I am going to email it to her now and hopefully it will open and work on her kindle. Thank you so much!

o

You are welcome. I don't even know why I had it for the Kindle. I had it on my PDN and read that one.

o

I am reading it now and enjoying it so far, not the normal type of book I read so new for me.
Thanks again!

o

I have 7 of the series and one on order, due out in April. They are very good books. I think of them as refreshing. After reading all of my life books can be pretty predictable, but not these.

o

Vala, I am on my 3rd in the series and I am soooo hooked!

Raven, I am still confused, we can read Kindle versions on our PDN, but Kindle folks have to have only Kindle versions? (I'm following both of these threads).

o

no we can not read a kindle format book on the PDN we can read the epub format on the PDN.
Kindle can read the kindle format books.
(Both I believe can read PDF format)
Outlander was offered free in both epub and kindle format, I had downloaded the epub one to read on my PDN but not the kindle one. I normally get both since I do have the Kindle for pc on my netbook.
So since I did not have the kindle format one to share with my sister I was looking for someone who had that format, thankfully I got it and emailed it to my sister, now we have to hope she can figure out how to move it to her kindle LOL she just got her kindle and is calling me for help which is difficult since I do not own a kindle.

o

I'm just curious; as I've mentioned before my 10 yr. old grandson got a Kindle and I try to sift thru the recommended sites to see if I can find him some free books. His Dad said he is already spent all his Amazon cash and he had to have a talk with him about his reading budget!

o

well the best site I know of that has kindle format books for free is www.feedbooks.com I have a lot of them from there, just select the kindle option under download.

o

Fantastic thread...but lets see if I can't stump ya'll with this one. I've had my PD for a bit and have done all the updates up to the full tablet update. Started with the inernal SD of 1G. Got my hands on a 2G and swapped them out and did a full update to the Android tablet from scratch. Got a 4G and did the same thing. Now, when I put the 1G and the 2G in ANY Windows, Android, or cell phone the total memory reads ~485MB and 0.89MB respectively. I think that when the firmware unloads, it re-writes the FAT so that part of the SD's memory is used only by the OS. Whatever is left over, we get to use. I have tried formating the SDs, but Windows and Android only see the ~485MB and 0.89MB. So when the format is "complete", I still have ~485MB or 0.89MB.

How in the world could I get the FULL 1G and 2G SD cards back?
Thank you all for any comments....
(After typing all that...I need a nap...)

o

how are you reformatting them? in FAT or Ntfs

o

Lost my user guide on my pandigital. Is there a way to reload it?

o

they still have it I think over on the pandigital site
Pandigital Novel 7" Color Multimedia eReader

scroll on down till you see the user guides and quick start guide
you can download it to your pc as a pdf, you can load it to your PDN on memory card. That way you have a copy on your pc should you wipe it out of the PDN again.

o

Is there a manual that reflects the PDN after update to Android tablet? I find the original user guide useless now, but can't find a new user guide.

o

Ditto to above post.

o

After I updated, the new user manual was automatically in the My Novel tab under the B&N icon. The old manual was there too.

o

Guess I'd better take a look. It's probably there. Had one real problem with the update. Finally put it on the SD card and that worked after I had tried and tried the other way. It would only install parts of the update. Now it's all there.

o

You are right! How did I miss that? Thank you.

o

so how are you all liking the update? I am still original but really thinking about doing it soon would love to hear real pros and cons and are you glad you did it.
Did you save your books off to an sd card prior to update, I was told if you did not back them up you lose everything??

o

Raven, I took your advice and have not done the update. I thought the update would allow users to read books in other formats like Kindle. I have the 7" white PDN.

What is the benefit of updating.

o

Nothing really to report about the update because I really haven't utilized the features. Been busy, and have basically just been using the e-reader. I tried a few of the free games from the included app store. I was happy that LinkUp game was still included on the new update. When I updated, I just had a couple books on it that were also online in my B&N account. So they were on the PN after the update, I don't remember re-downloading them, so maybe they just stayed on? Sorry, I'm no help there. So eventually I will explore everything more, it seems nice to have all the extra features and being able to change more settings it seems, than the original. On the e-reader, it seems to not remember my font size, when I change it from the default. I don't think I had a problem with the original? Hope this helps...a little.

o

I did not back up my books, but when I accessed B & N and entered my password, they were all there. I'm currently reading a book I had downloaded several months ago.

The absolutely hardest part was installing the update. Using the PC connection, it supposedly downloaded (showed the right size of the file), but I could not get it to install. Can't remember how many times I flashed it to no avail. Finally, in desperation, I copied the download to the SD card (using a card reader port on my computer), put the SD card back in the PD, turned it on, did the flash, and this time it installed without a hitch. To access your libray, you must use the B & N icon.

Now I really haven't used anything else much since I've been fooling with my Droid Incredible 2 phone.

o

Thanks, see since I got my new htc inspire 4g phone which is android 2.2 and I am playing with the apps and market and stuff like that it is making me want to go ahead and do the update on the PDN so I can also have some of those same things I have on my phone on it too.

I have many many books on mine that are not from B&N so those would likely be lost so I should probably just back them up.

Glad to hear that the SD card method worked for you finally, I have heard so many people having a problem getting the update to take.

vala there is an app that is available which will allow you to read kindle format books on the pdn after it has been updated, I have not tried that app on my cell phone so do not know how well it works. I am not that interested since I can find all the same books in epub format which is much easier to for most readers to utilize. Anything I need to change format I can do that using calibre anyway.
I really love my PDN as it is and really hate to mess with it.
My perfect plan would be to get another android tablet like the flytouch 3 or even better yet one of the new android 3 honeycomb tablets but those are out of my price range yet.

I have had a little problem lately with my pdn and the battery just suddenly going dead when it has been showing bars still. Not sure if it is not charging right or what. I know I need a new charging cord and they keep telling me they are sending me one but nothing yet.

o

For now I am not doing the update. I emailed PDN when I thought about updating and he gave me very detailed instructions with the advice to pay attention and follow the instructions. some of the instructions were to repeat the last step. The only problem I have had was trying to download to my PC. It would not work. Someone at B&N told me to load it directly to the reader and that solved the problem.

o

vala it may be helpful to others that are trying to do the update if you would copy and paste his instructions here for everyone to see, it might make it easier to just go through the process once.

o

I have to say, I updated my PDN the day I found out that I could and I have never been sorry. The process took maybe 5 minutes and worked from the beginning. I can do SO many things, including access my favorite baseball teams and see how games are going. I keep all of my books on the SD card so I don't have to worry about losing them. I've ordered an Acer Iconia, but I think I will still be reading books on my PDN because I like it so much.
Vickie

o

I have to say, I updated my PDN the day I found out that I could and I have never been sorry. The process took maybe 5 minutes and worked from the beginning. I can do SO many things, including access my favorite baseball teams and see how games are going. I keep all of my books on the SD card so I don't have to worry about losing them. I've ordered an Acer Iconia, but I think I will still be reading books on my PDN because I like it so much.
Vickie

o

This is what he sent me. I have had this for awhile now, it might be a bit different now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please follow the next steps to correct the issues on your Pandigital Novel:
1. Plug your reader into your computer using the USB cable.
2. Locate the "My Computer" icon on your desktop or just "Computer". This can also be found by clicking on the "start" button in the lower left-hand corner of your screen.
3. Locate the drive listed as "Removable disk".
4. This file should have Adobe Digital Editions as the first icon. Delete everything in this file except for Adobe Digital Editions.
2. This will bring you to our home page, on the right-hand side of the screen you will see a box with the words "Firmware Updates Click here", please click on this box.
3. This will bring you to the next webpage asking you to select your region. For your specific Pandigital Novel please click on the [American/Canadian] flag.
4. You have now reached our information page. On this page, please locate the blue lettering that states: "Click here to learn more and to update your Pandigital Novel."
5. This will bring you to the actual update page. Please read over the information on what the latest firmware update can do for you. The additional features that come with this update are something to be excited about and we�re sure you will be too!
6. Please locate the blue text at the bottom of this screen that states: "Click here to run PC Updater Application."
7. At this point if you have a pop-up blocker in use, you may get a yellow/gold bar that appears at the top of your screen asking if you would like to allow this pop up. Click on "temporarily allow pop-ups" and refresh the page by hitting the F5 key on your keyboard. If you do not have a pop-up blocker in use, ignore this step.
8. You will now have a download box appear on your screen asking you if you wish to run or save this program. If you are using Windows XP with IE you will choose the "Run" option. If you are using Windows Vista, please "Save" this file to your desktop.
9. Windows XP: At this point you may have an information box appear that will inform you that the publisher of this program could not be verified and ask if you are sure you would like to run this program�Click "Run" again. The Updater Application will start automatically. Windows Vista: Please double-click the download icon on your desktop to being running the Updater Application.
10. The Updater Application should now be on your screen. It lists the steps that you will go through to update your Pandigital Novel. Click on the blue text that states "Click here to start the process".
11. At this point, the program will list some steps you will need to do before updating your novel. These steps are:
1. Unplugging any other USB mass storage devices from your computer. These kinds of devices include flash drives, cameras, photo frames etc. Keyboards and mice are not considered storage devices so if you have any of those plugged into your USB ports, they are ok to leave plugged in.
2. Powering your Pandigital Novel with the supplied AC adapter (please ignore this step and just be sure that your Pandigital Novel is fully charged before you attempt the upgrade process).
3. Connect your Pandigital Novel to your computer using the USB cable that was supplied with your device.
4. Power your Pandigital Novel on (your Novel will go into "PC Mode"- this means that your Novel will be inoperable while connected to your computer).
12. Once you have completed these steps, please click on "Ok" to advance to the next step.
13. The Updater Application will then display a screen and ask you to confirm the details of your device (serial number, model number, etc.). Confirm these details by clicking on the "Confirm" button.
14. You will now begin the download process. (This process can take some time depending on your computer and your internet speed).
15. Once you have finished the download the screen will display that you have successfully downloaded the firmware update. At this point you will see another text box on appear on your screen giving you more instruction. These instructions will include:
1. Removing your Pandigital Novel device from your computer
2. Informing you that your Novel may or may not turn itself off, if it does not turn itself off, please power the Novel completely off by pressing the power button and choosing the "power off" option.
3. Now it will ask you to power your Novel back on in a very specific way. Please press the power and volume up button (located on the top of your device and is the + key) at the same time (not one and then the other, they must be pressed at the same time) for 10 seconds. Please do these steps until you see two lines of white text appear at the top of your screen that states the boot count and firmware version. As soon as you see these lines of text, let go of the power and volume + buttons. This should begin the update process in the form of a blue progress bar appearing at the bottom of the screen that will state things like "verifying update." If you have reached this screen your Novel is now updating properly. If you do not see this screen, please power your device off once more and try the activation process of holding the power and volume + buttons again. Do not be discouraged if this takes a few tries, and be sure you are holding the edge of the power + button; holding it too close to the middle will not activate the update.
4. Once the update is complete, please power off your Pandigital Novel completely, then reconnect the device to your computer using the USB cable and power it on after it is plugged in.
5. Click on "Ok". This will then run a process called a "restore". Once this has finished please disconnect your novel and once more perform the activation process of holding down the power and volume + buttons. You will again get another blue progress bar at the bottom of your screen when done correctly.
16. Congratulations! You have now updated your Pandigital Novel successfully! I have attached a new user manual for your use as the interface of your Novel has now changed to the most recent version. We hope you enjoy your Novel even more now and make use of all of the newest features! Happy Reading!

o

I am not being critical or judging the Pandigital as I really don't know much about them. However in the interest of sharing information, the new September issue of Consumer Reports has among other device ratings an e-book reader category. Of the 18 tested as to "regular sized models" Pandigital was 13, 14, and 16.

If one is in the market for a reader perhaps a read of CR might be worthwhile.

DA

o

at this point in time with the upgrades to the newer android version that is now on the PDN I personally would not put it in the category with other just ebook readers, it would be more apt to be in a category with other android tablets with the same android version, it is so much more than an ereader. I think that is where some of the confusion comes in when judging ereaders you have to determine what you want to judge, just something that lets you read books only or a multi function full access android tablet. Really two very different animals.

I have had mine for quite some time now and absolutely love it still and would buy it again in a heart beat, and everyone I have talked to that bought one that I know is still happy with it and for the price well that makes it even sweeter LOL.

o

Personally, I don't really think one can compare the Pandigital to a "real" tablet computer. There is much that it cannot do, and the fact that one must tap on it rather than touch is a drawback, depending on what you are used to. I still use mine as a reader, but I do not use the other features even though I installed the latest update. I'd much rather use my Droid phone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here