Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OUTLOOK 2010- Missing Mail

Posted by bugsybanks (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 17:08

I recently installed Outlook 2010 on my laptop. I'm making progress learning how it works, but when I opened it this morning, the messages that were in my Inbox are gone. I assumed it was because they had been archived, even though I had marked the option NOT to archive items from my Inbox.

When I go to the Archive folder (FILE-OPEN-OPEN OUTLOOK DATA FOLDER)it shows 1.71 MB of data. When I open it, however, there is nothing there. No messages from my Inbox...only a line that says CALENDAR, with zero entries.

Could someone please help me understand where I'm going wrong?

Thank you. Bugsy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OUTLOOK 2010- Missing Mail

Try importing from the Outlook Data Folder. The instructions for adding the Customer Links toolbar to Outlook, then adding the Import/Export Wizard to that toolbar can be found in Help on the File Menu.

o

I've tried importing from the Outlook Data Folder. When I open the folder it shows zero in the Inbox, Sent, etc. so I am still not able to find my missing messages.

Regarding adding the Customer Links toolbar....when I go to FILE-HELP, could you be more specific about how to add the Customer Links toolbar? There are several options and I'm not sure which to choose. I've tried searching for the instructions, but haven't found what I need.

Thanks so much for your help.

o

Sorry, I typoed..it should have read 'custom' links.Commands (like Import & Export) can't be added to the standard tabs, you have to create a custom tab first.

Here's how:
Open File, Then click Options. Choose 'Customize Ribbon'
On the right side at the bottom click "New Tab". Right click on the new tab and name it whatever you like. Now look to the left side to the 'Choose Commands From' dialog box. Click the down pointing arrow and choose ' Commands Not in the Ribbon' find Import & Export and click the Add button to move it over to your newly created tab.

About your missing mail, did you have an earlier version of Outlook installed and functional before you installed 2010?
If I am reading and interpreting correctly, your mail was fine after the upgrade..then it just disappeared? If that is correct, I would look through all of the folders to verify that a folder did not accidentally get moved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here