Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trying to clean up the computer

Posted by loralee (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 16:42

Need help understanding terminology. I don't want to delete files that I need.

I have windows 7 and have not done any cleaning up since January.

I ran Piriform Ccleaner and this is the list that came up.

Looks like a whole lot of things in this list that I do not know anything about.

Are all these files ok to remove????? Can I really have this many temporary internet files that I don't need?

Out of this list the only thing I understand is cookies.

What about the 2007 office applications, I use this one daily.

When using C cleaner before running it I have an option to uncheck the things in this list that I do not want to delete.

I guess I am confused right in the beginning as to what boxes to have CCleaner to check for me.

Can you help? I have just EX out of the software and did not delete anything.

Thank you

This post was edited by loralee on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 19:37

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trying to clean up the computer

Having used CCleaner almost since it's inception I like most users simply leave it at the default settings and clean. Probably hard to find many who dislike the program.

Regarding your Office files there are only 36 and total a mere 45kb

You will notice you have 332 files in the cookie folder, all will be deleted when you run the cleaner unless you protect those you wish to save. I save all cookies for sites I visit often, it is easy to do. Once Ccleaner is open simply click the Options tab on the left side then click the cookies tab in the new window. From there you simply click ones you want saved to highlight then click the right facing arrow in the centre of your screen to send that cookie to the right side for protection.

o

Where do I find what the default settings are? Are these the ones that is already checked mark like in the above picture I posted. These are what was checked.

I appreciate your help immensely.

o

Yes default settings are those decided on by the makers of any software. Ccleaner programmers decided the best selection for the majority of us users and placed the checkmarks beside that selection.

The options to increase or decrease the choices are for those who feel they want a greater or lesser cleaning job.

o

I use a paintbrush, maybe some compressed air - then finish it off with a quick coat of Jubilee appliance wax.

o

Thank you for the input iwbust. It's always so confusing when I don't understand all the computer terminology and don't want to mess things up.
Hopefully, I can sit back down to take care of this later today.

Mikie your way sounds the easiest but most likely won't do anything for the internal cleaning. But, good news is I can understand the terminology, ha ha. Have a great day.

o

Wow, this software worked very well. Got rid of thousands of files of junk. I will run this weekly.

Did have one issue I believe it was one of the boxes regarding cleaning unnecessary task bar icons or something to this affect.

I had in the right hand corner of the task bar I beliee was MS windows software that showed the date an icon for my internet to show if I was connected. How do I find these to put them back on?

Most of all what boxes do I need to uncheck on Ccleaner so I don't remove these in the future?

I may just go and do a system restore to a date prior to having used the Ccleaner.

o

I have been waiting for a resolution to your concern so not to hijack this thread. However as you mention system restore, and that your concern is on a W7 I could wait no longer.

I have been having a concern with my W8.1 system losing stored system restore points except for the most recent. My continuing research has shown a user versus manufacturer disagreement as to whether recent versions of CC is the cause. In some sites it is reported this disagreement has been going on with W7 also.

Some users report unchecking the Recycle Bin entry in CC will stop this concern. I did do that, and as of yet I have not lost any points. Research continues off and on when I have time.

DA

o

Thanks for your input, as this may be well worth while knowledge.

The recycle bin is an easy one to clean without the CC.

o

Most of the checkboxes there are for things that actually don't take up much room, and don't make much difference either way.

These take up room and are worth deleting :
Temporary Internet files
Temp files (especially)
Recycle bin (especially)

The rest you can think of as historical traces of things you've done. If you're a privacy nut you might want to keep them checked for deletion. Otherwise, it really doesn't make much difference.

For example :

Run (in Start menu)
Clipboard

"Run" would be things you've typed into the Run box.
If you deleted them, then the next time you use the Run box they won't predicatively autofill.
If you're not a power user that won't make any difference to you.

Clipboard - kind of the same thing. I have a clipboard add-on that saves the last 20 things I copied & pasted. Deleting that list would clear those 20 things, and i wouldn't be able to paste them again.

Memory dumps & Chkdsk file fragments are, for the former, leftovers from crashes that can help diagnose those crashes, and for the latter, just file fragments of corrupted files also probably from some kind of crash.
You pretty much never need them.

Basically the only things you really should think of clearing out are the Temporary Internet files (the Internet Explorer cache), Recycle bin,, and temp files, all of which take up space. Those are the only things i check for deletion.

You can leave Windows Error Reporting and Event files - they might help to diagnose a problem if it should come up.

Everything else, it doesn't really matter either way.
None of them remove actually programs or anything of the like.

Good luck,

Kent

o

Most of the checkboxes there are for things that actually don't take up much room, and don't make much difference either way.

These take up room and are worth deleting :
Temporary Internet files
Temp files (especially)
Recycle bin (especially)

The rest you can think of as historical traces of things you've done. If you're a privacy nut you might want to keep them checked for deletion. Otherwise, it really doesn't make much difference.

For example :

Run (in Start menu)
Clipboard

"Run" would be things you've typed into the Run box.
If you deleted them, then the next time you use the Run box they won't predicatively autofill.
If you're not a power user that won't make any difference to you.

Clipboard - kind of the same thing. I have a clipboard add-on that saves the last 20 things I copied & pasted. Deleting that list would clear those 20 things, and i wouldn't be able to paste them again.

Memory dumps & Chkdsk file fragments are, for the former, leftovers from crashes that can help diagnose those crashes, and for the latter, just file fragments of corrupted files also probably from some kind of crash.
You pretty much never need them.

Basically the only things you really should think of clearing out are the Temporary Internet files (the Internet Explorer cache), Recycle bin,, and temp files, all of which take up space. Those are the only things i check for deletion.

You can leave Windows Error Reporting and Event files - they might help to diagnose a problem if it should come up.

Everything else, it doesn't really matter either way.
None of them remove actual programs or anything of the like.

Good luck,

Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here