Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
operating systems

Posted by dduz (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 16:19

I have Microsoft xp professional as an operating system. What should I move up to now?

Thanks,
Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: operating systems

You could download the Windows 7 upgrade advisor to find out if your machine is capable of running Windows 7, or you could wait until Windows 8 is released in a few months.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows 7 upgrade advisor

o

Just got a new Dell laptop with Windows 7, and at Costco, you can registered for Windows 8 for under $15 when available. I followed instructions to make Win 7 look like my old XP somewhat, and I like it.

Nice to see that prices came down quite a bit. This was $599, and had been $999 only a few weeks ago.

o

How much memory does your Microsoft xp professional computer have now ??

I've seen some 1gb ram, win7 32bit computers, but they usually need more like 2gb minimum ram.

o

The upgrade option for windows 8 is available for any new pc purchase for that price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Option

o

@ sushipup:

If you don't mind me asking, what Dell model did you purchase?

o

Deb are you thinking of a new computer or upgrading the XP machine?

If you are thinking of upgrading I personally would say forget it unless you have a really good computer right now that needs something more than you get with XP.

If you are thinking new then go for Windows 7 or 8 but 64 bit architecture and perhaps 8 gigs of RAM (memory).

o

Some sort of Inspiron, not sure of the details, my DH did all that. But I was worried about upgrading my old tried-and-true, and I don't like change that much.

For $599 and $699, there were two HP machines and two Dells, all 17.3", at our local store. The link shows out of stock at the online store, but my store had several in stock

Here is a link that might be useful: I think this is the one....

o

OS X Mountain Lion.

o
Desktop Problems

I have a Dell laptop and for some unknown reason the "toolbar" at the bottom of the desktop has moved to the right side of the screen. Terribly annoying. Can anyone tell me what steps to take to get this back to the bottom where it belongs? I have Windows 7 and operating with Internet Explorer.
Thanks!!

o

Blueit...each new problem should have it own thread...Try clicking on the toolbar and dragging it to where you want it..Once you get it back to the bottom, right click on the toolbar and select LOCK the toolbar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here