Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kindle app on a Nexus 7 tablet

Posted by juneroses (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 16:16

I have a Google Nexus 7 (love it!). There is a Scrabble (Kindle Fire Edition) app that also has the tag "Available instantly on your connected Android device". It has a single player option and has received very good reviews. I'd like to try it on the Nexus 7.

I realize it may not work on my tablet. However, would installing it or trying to do so leave remnants or make changes that would negatively affect the operation of my tablet either immediately or forevermore?

I frequently read about trying an app and if one doesn't like it, to simply uninstall it.

My sense is that an app is a self-contained package that doesn't spread its tentacles into other parts of the OS, unlike a computer program that makes registry changes, etc. Perhaps it's not this simple.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kindle app on a Nexus 7 tablet

It will tell you if it won't work on it when you try to install so try it.
It is very easy to unistall.

o
RE: Kindle app on a Nexus 7 tablet

OP, I detect a bit of concern (or maybe even paranoia) about programs on your PC. The Android world is no haven of safety in that regard.

An app is a program, it's different word for the same thing. There have been many outcries about some Droid apps that access and transmit back to the developers' home base information that's wholly irrelevant to the app's function. Your location (determined by the GPS function or cell tower location for phones) as an example, your browsing history or data from your address book are others. Don't think that sticking to apps from big name companies is any solace, because Google (the "owner" and developer of the Android system) is as guilty as anyone.

The best protection is to be judicious about what you install, and delete what you find unncessary. Your words - remnants, tentacles- suggest a concern (whether for the PC or Droid worlds) that I'd suggest you just learn to live with these things and move on. They exist, they can't be avoided, and so long as you have a good anti-virus program on your PC, you can be reasonably confident that their presence will be of no real consequence. I know some will disagree, but I think having concern about things you can't really change is a waste of time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here