Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mouse stopped working

Posted by jjaazzy (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 16:13

Running windows 7 and mouse just stops working. I go into the system and go to a different restore point and it generally starts working again. Well not is time, I am out of tricks. What can I do to get things working again? Fortunately, I have a HP Touch Screen and can still work on the pc. What can I do to fix this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mouse stopped working

There's a peephole on the bottom of the mouse that a light shines through to detect movement of the unit. If a dust bunny gets in the hole (happens all the time), it blocks the sensor. Try blowing in the hole.

If that doesn't work, a new mouse can be purchased for less money than you'd spend going to a movie. Get one.

o

Battery?

DA

o

I got it guys, I don't know what ultimately worked but it's working again... at least till next time. This is an on going problem..

o

Check the manufacturer for updated drivers. Might work wonders.

o

I was going to suggest changing the mouse's battery, same as damccoy. I know I've been panicked twice over the past few months and new batteries were the cure.

o

Replacing the battery is a good idea, so long as it's a mouse with a battery. That would be a cordless one.

Owbist, I've never seen a case where a working driver went south - ie, worked one day, not the next. Have you? Usually once a functioning driver is on the job, it continues to work. That is, unless, the OP is saying that it never worked. Which would be quite rare indeed for a mouse (in my experience), especially since the PnP capabilities mostly work so well now.

o

Snidely, please do a search on web.... "After update mouse stops working" "There are tons of post. I called Logitech and they refered me to Microsoft. I don't know what the issue is but some updates take my mouse out of commission. It happens often to me... This time I got jammed up cause my restore points were not doing the trick. But I got it working now... Don't know what the issue is
but its a pain...

o

My crystal ball is off on Sundays so it would be nice if you shared what you did to alleviate your concern. You probably did but for others, be sure to do a current restore point after a concern resolution.

DA

o

Today's operating systems no longer require drivers for standard mouse interoperability. Therefore, if your computer has a standard one or two button mouse and you are using an operating system developed within the last three years, you don't need to install any drivers and it is very unlikely that your mouse will have any driver updates available.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000548.htm

o

Jazzy, I said what I said. I've never seen a case where a working mouse went south. Shoot, anything's possible. My comment wasn't based on a Google search, that's information everyone has and should be anyone's first stop when there's a problem. That info was there for you, not for me.

Stopping Windows updates and cementing use of a obsolete version so that a $10 mouse can function is a very unwise approach. I'll stick to my first recommendation, buy a new mouse and keep your Windows installation current with all updates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here