Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Printer problem

Posted by john_ny (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 16:12

HP Photo Smart P 1000 Printer Windows XP

I get a little yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it. When I click on it, I get a message that my printer is not connected. I checked both ends of the USB cable, and they are connected. I checked the power cord, and it's connected, and the on light is lit.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Printer problem

Hi john_ny

Disconnect the USB connection at the computer for the printer, reboot/ restart the computer, now reconnect the usb for printer See what that does.

Joe :)

o

Thanks, Joe! Will try it.

o

Don't forget to wiggle the cables too, in an attempt to see if it's a bad cable, I have to wiggle my cable all the time, need to get another one.

o

Thanks again, Joe. What you told me to do didn't work. I got a message that the computer could not find the new USB device. The thing about the cables was to be my next question. Could it be just a bad cable? My second question was, Might I have to re-install and, then, would I have to uninstall the current first? I'll try another cable in the morning, but it could also be that the thing is just worn out. Although it doesn't get heavy duty use, it's just a little shy of 13 years old.

o

I'd ditch it being 13 years old. If you do get running, in the end you still have a 13 year old printer that will be subject to failure.

Joe

o
New printer for you!

Here's a few good printers here, I like the IBM a good deal at only $30,800

Here is a link that might be useful: -most-expensive-printers/

o

Again, thank you Joe. This thing has worked perfectly until 2 days ago, but maybge it's time to say goodbye. My 17 year old cat was not too happy to hear this diagnosis.

o

You're welcome, if you have the disk I guess you could try re-installing, see link

Here is a link that might be useful: hp printer

o

Thanks; it was just the cable, I put another one on and it worked like a charm. The only thing was that it printed everything that my wife and I had been trying to print when it wasn't working; about 30 pages!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here