SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Unsure about SEcunia recommended update - Microsoft MXL Core Serv

lynnalexandra
11 years ago

I ran a sEcunia scan and it said I should update the microsoft mxl core services (which i never heard of before). When I clicked the link to install the solution, it brought up something different than I've seen before with microsoft updates. MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser license agreement came up when i started to install.

I never heard of this and don't know if I should accept and install. The warning from Secunia about it being outdated was a red threat level.

Should I install this? What is it?

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (4)

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

Windows has XML built into it.. Sounds like one day you missed a Windows security update maybe.

Some web pages and java use it... as well as windows uses xml lots in its system of logs ... and other things.

If the update is from Microsoft site, should be fine.

• mxyplx
    11 years ago

I got the same mssg. Checked Windows Update both Xpress and Custom - nothing.

Same with Foxit Reader - couldn't find the update.

Secunia seems to be wide of the mark sometimes.

• dee_can1
    11 years ago

Just about the same thing happened to me, with Secunia updating MS xml core services (although I didn't get a parser license agreement). Also, the next day, Windows update showed the same xml core services needing to be updated, which it did.

So, yes, the program should be fine since, like mikie said, it's from Microsoft. I wouldn't doubt if you checked Windows update in the next day or so, you might see that update waiting, or at least it will be in your update history.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I did go ahead with the update on my laptop. All seems fine. I'll go to windows updates on my other computers and see if it shows up there.

Lynn.