Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new issue now with Windows 7

Posted by loralee (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 15:59

I did a system restore because after using the Ccleaner I lost all of my icons on the right side of the task bar. I now have my speaker, clock, date, etc etc back.

But....

Now when I get an e-mail that has an image included I can't see the image.

One e-mail had a link to a site and then nothing opens. I know it was an image that should have opened as my friend said it was.

This is what I see. Just that little icon in the top left of the page.

I must be missing a software that would open these. Would it be adobe? As Adobe Reader has now changed to XI

email photo does not open photo imageine-maildoesnotopen_zpsb63b1c36.jpg

This post was edited by loralee on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 16:03

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new issue now with Windows 7

And this is why there's no reason or need to arbitrarily run a registry cleaner. They're often too aggressive and break things.

o

Might want to restart your computer if you haven't already.

o

Yep, I have restarted it.

What sort of software opens the images? I have irfan view which opens some I am not sure what the other ones are.

Irfan view is working for other graphics.

Some of the pictures in the e-mails will open but really slowly. Is there a way to find out what is opening the ones that do open?

o

How do you read email ? is it online email like at http://mail.yahoo.com ??

What browser do you use ?

o

Mikey, when she did a system restore would it roll back to a prior update on say, Adobe flash?

Lora ~ my sister sent some more pics. Wouldn't open!!! Turned out they were in a Canon raw format. I had to download Irfanview's plugins. If your email shows a filename check the extension.

o

Isn't Windows 7 similar to Windows 8 in that you need to right click on either the blank square or on a line that appears across the top of the screen then click 'Download images' in the pop up menu?

o

There is a new flash player out in past day or two. I updated it in firefox.. windows 8 auto updates it with the 2nd Tuesday normal schedule .. microsoft updates flash in IE11/win8.

So it seems like flash updates the day or so before the Microsoft update tues is the norm now. I disable adobe autoupdates in taskScheduler - its default is check once per hour. Too dang much checking for something that never seems to update when a new flash player is out.

o

loralee wrote:

Some of the pictures in the e-mails will open but really slowly. Is there a way to find out what is opening the ones that do open?

As @mikie asked it's important to know what email software you're using, and if it's browser-based email, what browser you're using. Are you saying the images are displaying in your email program / browser, not in some other program like Irfan view?

Do you have any idea what format the images are in?

o

I haven't run CCleaner yet on my windows 7, but have noticed that when I get my email, I usually have to click on the tiny bar on the top of the item to see pictures. But when you ran the program, did you check or uncheck the programs you wanted cleaned? That is important. I am still learning 7 and do have a good book from Barnes and Noble called Step by Step--Windows 7 by Preppernau and Cox from Microsoft. Comes with a CD --haven't used it yet.I have used the book several times and it did help me.

o

Sorry. I was thinking attached images and perhaps it is imbedded images Loralee is asking about.

This what my attached images look like.

o

I am using Firefox. So far today things seem to be running ok.

The pictures were not a camera photos but images of something found on a website by my friend. Usually she or I will find a cute idea to craft and will send a picture of it. No problem in the years or days past everything always opens.

Even when my friend had sent me a link to a site all I got was that blank page. Maybe firefox caught up with the new Adobe reader.

Iris I don't get anything like this in my e-mails. The images just always open.

On my list is to buy a pictorial Windows 7 book. I could really use it. I thought I may do ok with this new widows but there are some things that is different or sofware like my music software that will not work as it was outdated and no longer being made. Still have to work this issue out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here