Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mac latop battery ???

Posted by jannaz (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 15:36

My 3 year old MacBook laptop battery appears to be losing or not taking a charge. I noticed when I clicked on the per-centage icon, BATTERY IS NOT CHARGING and POWER SOURCE: POWER ADAPTER are grayed out. Could that be the problem, and if so, how do it fix it?

I almost never run the laptop on battery, nor does it power any other devices. My system is Leopard 10.5.8. It's the original battery.

Thanks,
Jann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mac latop battery ???

If you're not a handy fix-it person, the best approach may be to simply take it to an Apple store. They can easily determine if the problem is the adapter or the battery and fix whatever is required. While most other laptop manufacturers use snap on/snap off batteries, Apple persists in putting their batteries inside the case where they are not easily accessible by most users.

If you need a new battery, your having kept it on AC power may have contributed to a shortened life. PC batteries last longer with "exercise". If your normal usage pattern keeps it plugged in, you still need to run it on the battery from time to time. By unpluging it and running down the battery every few weeks (and then recharging it), you can extend the battery's life.

o

There's a little light on the MagSafe adapter where it connects to the laptop. It should be green when the battery is charged and orange when it it charging. Is the light on?

o

Thank you both for your replies.

Yes, the light is green.

I'm still curious about whether the BATTERY NOT CHARGING and POWER SOURCE should be grayed out.

-J

o

If the light is green, then there is no need for the batter to be charging.

This is what mine looks like...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here