Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get messages to mark as read

Posted by labradors (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 15:33

I've been a member here for a month or so.

When I read messages they sometimes turn purple to indicate that I've read them. Other times they do not. I am using the back button. I just read two messages, one after the other. One turned to purple the other did not.

I cleared my cache and everything went back to blue. I logged on to the forum, but that didn't make any difference.

I am using Explorer and Windows 7.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get messages to mark as read

If you are you using FF and Ccleaner remove the check mark from internet history under applications/firefox. With other software it would be in a different place.

o

"...using the back button. I just read two messages, one after the other. One turned to purple the other did not. ..."

I really don't know but suspect that when you used the "back button", the link that had not turned purple was the one you just "backed" out of?

If so, just out of curiosity, next time that happens, you might try refreshing (after backing out) to see if the link changes then.

o

Thanks chuggerguy! It could be something as simple as that! I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Linda

o

Hi Chuggerguy!

I have been using the back button and sometimes the messages reads as "read". When it doesn't I have been selecting "return to forum" instead and that works - sometimes on the second try.

Thanks again!
Linda

o

Are you familiar with opening links 'in a new tab' instead of just clicking on them and then after reading, having to use the 'back' button?

I find opening links in a new tab, and then X-ing them closed to be faster than using the back button.

In fact, when going to a forum, and in reading the thread titles, I will often choose those I want to read and open numerous ones, all in new tabs. After reading them, I then X them out one by one.

o

I do a lot of center-clicking.

Links, bookmarks and even the navigation icons(Home, Back, Refresh).

o

I've a one-time observation that may be a tangent related to this thread. There are about 20 subjects on GW that I see as ''red'' (vcolor?) because I click on them almost daily. Today one, and only one, of the 20 or so was not red.

[Somewhere, long ago I found a place to set vcolor to expire after 21 days of inactivity. That no longer works for me. Once visited, always visited unless I go to history and delete it.]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here