SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grandms

Looking to end for XP suggestions and possible help

grandms
10 years ago

My favorite computer, a HP desktop getting long in the tooth, runs XP SP3. I recently wanted to transfer some music from it to my Nexus 7 tablet, and it would not recognize the tablet. I had no problem at all doing the same thing with my Win 7 laptop, so, since April 2014 is rapidly approaching, I know I must stop using this computer for any secure actions such as banking, shopping, etc. I can switch those actions to the Windows 7 machine, but I was also toying with the idea of partitioning the 500GB HDD on the desktop and installing a late version of Ubuntu and using that when I need a secure internet connection. This would be a dual boot setup. Does this sound feasible??

Secondly, although I have read several how-tos re doing what I have in mind, I'm not sure how best to go about the partitioning. Even the Linux people don't seem to agree about the best way to partition. I would like all the files, both Windows and Ubuntu, available when booted into Ubuntu, but I want to use Ubuntu exclusively for going online and using e-mail. In other words, I would like to be able to still use programs I have now with XP, but will these be compatible with Ubuntu? Just lots of unknowns here, and I'll be reading more and more, so hopefully in the next 6 months, I'll know what I'm doing.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer