Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I determine if I need to upgrade windows?

Posted by albert_135 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 15:13

As noted earlier I have lost features on one computer only - both FF and IE.

My log-in frames are missing on some sites and some Netflix features are missing. I powered it down overnight and rebooted. Upgraded Malwarebites, Ad-aware, and Avast and ran these and restarted. Still lost features on Netflix and another site.

How do I determine if I need an upgrade to my XP? Do I need a newer windows?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I determine if I need to upgrade windows?

Your problem sounds like java or flash type of issue, but it's weird that it occurs across 2 browsers indicating a windows issue. You could try a system restore to a time before the issue occurred this would address a windows file issue if present.

Lets face it XP is old and it's certainly recommend to up-grade to a current operating system like Windows 7.

o

If your hardware is up to the job.

o

There's lots of things that could cause those kinds of problems, including something on Netflix's end.

An upgrade may be indicated when there are enough new features in the operating system to justify the expense of the new operating system. Of course, my definition of "justify" may not be quite the same as yours.

You also need to ensure that your computer can meet the requirements of a new operating system. Generally speaking any computer bought with Windows XP is not likely to have sufficient memory or processing power to make running Windows 7 enjoyable.

You might want to consider backing up critical data and doing a fresh install of XP. Cleaning out the old garbage can make a world of difference in the performance of an older computer. Plus there's no financial investment, just time.

o

Piecemeal upgrades with new hardware and operating systems on old computers is usually a waste of money. Better option is to keep an eye out for used or refurbished equipment that came with Vista or Windows 7 when new.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here