SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

BSOD - can't take the few steps rec. in prior posts

lynnalexandra
10 years ago

My work laptop got the blue screen of death on Friday. (I have typed the information from the screen below). I could not resuscitate it there so have brought it home to work on it. I checked some prior posts here on blue screen of death. The two things I saw were to run Whocrashed - and Zep's suggestion to go to Sysnative. But since I can't get connected to the internet on that laptop, I cannot download Whocrashed to run it. And the Sysnative site asks people to run a couple of programs first and report results there for BSOD. But I can't get that far.

Perhaps from what I've described below, someone could point me in the right direction.

Here's what I know - and what I don't know: what I've done and what i can't do.

Dell 14R laptop - Windows 7 64-bit (about 2 years old). I have not installed new hardware (actually - a new router 3 weeks ago). When I first noticed a problem was with the cursor being frozen. I couldn't use it. I double clicked to run firefox - and it would not open. I rebooted - don't think I saw the BSOD the first time - but again, could not use cursor for long. I am able to boot up - and use cursor to log in to the computer. But after that, I get the blue screen of death.

I did try booting into safe mode. I could open firefox, etc - but no internet connection. From there, I tried system restore to a point one week prior. The system restore did restore to the previous date - but when I rebooted, I still got the BSOD - and/or the cursor would freeze. When I was in safe mode, I could not access the internet (that's probably how it's supposed to work but it means I could not download these programs to run diagnostics on the computer.

I see that this is often a driver or new hardware issue - but I'm not sure what it could be. I installed a linksys router a few weeks ago. I did not use the linksys disk to set it up - I just went to the IP address of the browser. I don't think I installed any drivers then (my former router was also a linksys - and I never used their install disk then either). Maybe unrelated, but for some reason, I can't get my wireless to work on this laptop to work. Have never been able to. That’s why I tried a different router. I thought the problem was with the router �" but since I used wired Ethernet connection �" and none of my colleagues wanted shared wifi, I just let it be. Then I got a new co-worker in my suite in July �" and she wanted to share wifi. I assumed my other (reconditioned) router was no good �" so I brought in another linksys router. Set up the Wifi. Works for her. I can access it from my smart phone. But my laptop won’t connect. This week I noticed a little icon in the system tray (maybe a pop up) that said my wireless adapter (?) was disabled. I tried to enable it. But it wouldn’t enable. My attempts to go to network connections is the only thing I can think of that was new this week in terms of computer activity.

Other than that, I noticed this past week that one program I run was not shutting down properly. It's Think or Swim - a streaming trading tool from Ameritrade. I would close the program when I finished using it for the day. But it wouldn't close. I had to use task manager to close it. I think when I tried to open it from my start menu, it wasn't opening - but was leaving a screen that attempted to finish loading but didn't. On Wednesday or Thursday I noticed 3 such windows. I closed them through task manager. I was able to load the program correctly from my all programs list. (I may have this backwards - but one way opened the program and one didn't. One may have been the desktop icon. With a laptop and desktop at home, I don't recall which did and didn't work at the office).

Somebody else said it could be a bad boot sector and to try booting from my recovery disk (this was not somebody I could pursue this topic with �" but I brought home the recovery disk I had made when I got the computer. The disc has files for Boot, Sources and Boot Manager. I have no idea what I’d do with these. And my readings don’t suggest it’s the first place to look.

So lastly, I tried to reboot when I started this thread. I copied some of the information:

IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL

If this the first time you’ve seen this Stop error scree, restart your computer……

If problems continue, disable to remove newly installed hardware or software. Diable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup Options, and then select safe Mode.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
888 STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000002,0x0000000000000001,0xFFFFF80002CE6d6C)

Collectiong data fro crash dump…
Physical memory dump complete.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012