Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BSOD - can't take the few steps rec. in prior posts

Posted by lynnalexandra (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 15:01

My work laptop got the blue screen of death on Friday. (I have typed the information from the screen below). I could not resuscitate it there so have brought it home to work on it. I checked some prior posts here on blue screen of death. The two things I saw were to run Whocrashed - and Zep's suggestion to go to Sysnative. But since I can't get connected to the internet on that laptop, I cannot download Whocrashed to run it. And the Sysnative site asks people to run a couple of programs first and report results there for BSOD. But I can't get that far.

Perhaps from what I've described below, someone could point me in the right direction.

Here's what I know - and what I don't know: what I've done and what i can't do.

Dell 14R laptop - Windows 7 64-bit (about 2 years old). I have not installed new hardware (actually - a new router 3 weeks ago). When I first noticed a problem was with the cursor being frozen. I couldn't use it. I double clicked to run firefox - and it would not open. I rebooted - don't think I saw the BSOD the first time - but again, could not use cursor for long. I am able to boot up - and use cursor to log in to the computer. But after that, I get the blue screen of death.

I did try booting into safe mode. I could open firefox, etc - but no internet connection. From there, I tried system restore to a point one week prior. The system restore did restore to the previous date - but when I rebooted, I still got the BSOD - and/or the cursor would freeze. When I was in safe mode, I could not access the internet (that's probably how it's supposed to work but it means I could not download these programs to run diagnostics on the computer.

I see that this is often a driver or new hardware issue - but I'm not sure what it could be. I installed a linksys router a few weeks ago. I did not use the linksys disk to set it up - I just went to the IP address of the browser. I don't think I installed any drivers then (my former router was also a linksys - and I never used their install disk then either). Maybe unrelated, but for some reason, I can't get my wireless to work on this laptop to work. Have never been able to. That’s why I tried a different router. I thought the problem was with the router �" but since I used wired Ethernet connection �" and none of my colleagues wanted shared wifi, I just let it be. Then I got a new co-worker in my suite in July �" and she wanted to share wifi. I assumed my other (reconditioned) router was no good �" so I brought in another linksys router. Set up the Wifi. Works for her. I can access it from my smart phone. But my laptop won’t connect. This week I noticed a little icon in the system tray (maybe a pop up) that said my wireless adapter (?) was disabled. I tried to enable it. But it wouldn’t enable. My attempts to go to network connections is the only thing I can think of that was new this week in terms of computer activity.

Other than that, I noticed this past week that one program I run was not shutting down properly. It's Think or Swim - a streaming trading tool from Ameritrade. I would close the program when I finished using it for the day. But it wouldn't close. I had to use task manager to close it. I think when I tried to open it from my start menu, it wasn't opening - but was leaving a screen that attempted to finish loading but didn't. On Wednesday or Thursday I noticed 3 such windows. I closed them through task manager. I was able to load the program correctly from my all programs list. (I may have this backwards - but one way opened the program and one didn't. One may have been the desktop icon. With a laptop and desktop at home, I don't recall which did and didn't work at the office).

Somebody else said it could be a bad boot sector and to try booting from my recovery disk (this was not somebody I could pursue this topic with �" but I brought home the recovery disk I had made when I got the computer. The disc has files for Boot, Sources and Boot Manager. I have no idea what I’d do with these. And my readings don’t suggest it’s the first place to look.

So lastly, I tried to reboot when I started this thread. I copied some of the information:

IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL

If this the first time you’ve seen this Stop error scree, restart your computer……

If problems continue, disable to remove newly installed hardware or software. Diable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup Options, and then select safe Mode.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
888 STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000002,0x0000000000000001,0xFFFFF80002CE6d6C)

Collectiong data fro crash dump…
Physical memory dump complete.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BSOD - can't take the few steps rec. in prior posts

Safe Mode with networking, can you get into that, or did you already and can't connect from there. You said "safemode" If you have not try safemode with networking and try to connect to google.com first.

o

I didn't know there was an option for safe mode with networking. But my two attempts did not succeed.

First I tried hitting F8 while it started. Before that booted me into safe mode. I hoped I would see an option for safe mode with networking - but even the boot up into safe mode (period) did not work. I got the regular sign in screen. I signed in - then it just just gave me the little circle (that suggests it's working on it) - and it froze there.

Then I thought I'd try hitting F12 - which is start up options - the next time I started. I tried hitting F12 repeatedly - but it did not give me options. Just the sign in/log in screen again. This time I hit f12 a couple of more times in case that got me there. At that point, it was clearly not budging. So I was going to try logging in =- just in case I forgot that safemode was approached this way too. But by then the cursor was frozen. So I had to turn it off.

I'll try again - but at this point might need more pointers since I'm having trouble booting into safe mode.

Should I put in my recovery disk (that says it includes boot drives and boot manager)?

I'll keep experimenting until I get further direction.

Thanks.
Lynn.

o

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 17:04

From another PC with win7x64 you can make yourself a System Repair Disc CD or DVD. And hopefully it will boot off of that if placed in the DVD drive before powering on. Then you will have access to Startup Repair, which I would certainly try, as well as Safe mode with networking.. and lots of options..

If this is a recent problem, don't forget about System Restore points. Sounds like you need to uninstall your trader program and after you get things working right then reinstall it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Create a system repair disc

This post was edited by mikie on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 17:16

o

Personally I would turn off the wireless adapter, unplug all of your devices and try booting up into normal mode
like that. Since you've had so many issues with wireless connections, I would be suspect of that card.

o
The last 6 hours

Well - some of my steps -and hours - aren't worth repeating here. But after many different approaches, I was finally able to boot into safe mode - and select safe mode with networking (I probably tried a couple of dozen times/ways before it worked).

Then i went to this site that Zep recommended in another post:

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-crashes-kernel-debugging/6692-blue-screen-death-cant-take-few-steps-requested-before-posting.html#post52126

Once I could boot into safe mode with network, I was able to download the two diagnostic programs and run them. I posted the results back to the forum - and they diagnosed that all four dump records reported bad drivers with Avast security.

So i uninstalled Avast. And now all seems to be running fine. We're still running more fine tuned diagnostics -and if I learn more that others might benefit from, I'll post back.

So far none of the issues I had suspected.
Now I still have a non-working network adapter - which is probably unrelated to the BSOD - but which I'd still like to get resolved. I have never connected to a wireless network. Had a wired connection at work. When the wireless didn't work, I assumed it was the router. Until a new co-worker wanted to share Wifi. Then I discovered that Wifi is working - my smart phone can connect - but the laptop is the problem. That just happened recently so I haven't figured it out yet.

Mikie - fortunately one of the things I did do when I got this computer (thanks to the advice of folks here) was to create that system repair disk. In this case, I don't think it helped. I did boot from it - but the boot was not successful. maybe it loaded enough window files that that's what enabled me to boot into safe mode with network after I removed the disk.

Thanks.
Lynn.

o

For anyone reading this thread for info:

The folks at sysnative recommended I update my Intel Wireless adapter drivers. That helped. Now I can connect to wireless networks.

We've got a few more things to look at - but so far, all is running well.

Thanks.
Lynn.

o

I've been following this, and it's good to know things have really improved for you. Glad your wireless adapter is now working.

o

Post the whocrashed report. I'm curious about it.

o

Hi, Zep,

I had not run the whocrashed program bc. sysnative has it's own two programs it recommends. I used those - the diagnostic one contained 18 files filled with information I would not have been able to decipher - including 2 containing the dump file info that were roughly 3 and 11 MB (roughly).

But your post reminded me to download whocrashed for the future. I went ahead and ran it for curiousity's sake. The results are below. It does seem they are suggesting a bad drive - and in at least one place they point to Avast. The larger diagnostic files generated for sysnative showed all the crashes were tied to an Avast driver. I uninstalled and it's been running fine. I might want to reinstall Avast since I run it on all our home desktops and laptops. I'm familiar with it and it hasn't posed a problem elsewhere. The folks at sysnative suggest waiting a little longer and using microsoft security essentials for now.
Whocrashed:

On Sun 8/4/2013 10:18:38 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080413-21091-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7EFC0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80002CD2D6C)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 8/4/2013 10:18:38 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsp.sys (aswSP+0x4133E)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80002CD2D6C)
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsp.sys .
Google query: aswsp.sys IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Sun 8/4/2013 9:33:50 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080413-21340-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80002C9CD6C)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 8/4/2013 8:58:12 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080413-21418-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80002CDCD6C)

On Sun 8/4/2013 6:30:46 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080413-22152-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80002CE6D6C)

-----------------------------
This report is in somewhat more plain English - but seems to contain less specific diagnostics than the tests for sysnative.

thanks.
Lynn.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Conclusion
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

aswsp.sys

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

o

Thank you for taking the time to post that information, was just curious. Sysnative is certainly the place to be for that and windows up-date issues too, glad you used the forum Sysnative.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here