Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Haven't been able to post for months!

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 14:33

I don't know why I can get into the Gardenweb site today, but its the first time in months. We've turned our computer upside down.......reinstalling drivers, trying different names, lowering our security, talking with experts, etc., etc., and nothing worked.
It appeared that it has something to do with Gardenweb not having a https instead of an http, in conjunction with our AT&T aircard modem.

I don't know if I'll be able to keep posting, so I'm posting everything I can now! haha
Anyone else have any problems like this before? I tried talking with Tamara who handles problems on Gardenweb, but she wasn't aware of any problems.

I sure hope I can keep posting, 'cause I have a million garden questions this year, with the heat and drought and all.

Anyone have any suggestions if it goes back to not letting me log on?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Haven't been able to post for months!

Hi catherinet,

Copy and paste the text between the stars below into Notepad.

@Echo off
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0[/code]

Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
Double-click flush.bat file to run it. Your computer will reboot.

Note: For Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click flush.bat and select "Run as Administrator" .

NEXT Thing to do:

Clean out your temporary internet files and temp files.

Download TFC by OldTimer From here click Here
to your desktop.

Double-click TFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programswhen run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin

* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
* Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
* Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.

Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Let us know if that helps, please provide the error you're getting and the browser you're using too.

o
edit use this one please, error in other.

@Echo off
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

o

Z,

You normally tell the member what the goal of your advice is. You forgot this time. She probably would like to know.

DA

o

From the problem description as posted by user "Not being able to get to the site" sounds like a possible DNS issue (Domain Name server,) where the browser is not converting it, or a router / modem issue, The goal is the flush the DNS cache, using the Flush.bat script, it also does a lot of other useful things for connection issues to web sites as listed:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1

TFC Will clean out all Internet Temp files, but not cookies and that may need to be done as well, with Ccleaner or directly from the browser. My goal is to clean up and see what's left, without the user reporting an error or browser it's a guess.

o

I'm not sure about what you're doing, maybe you can help me understand better. I don't know how critical that record is you're trying to clear, but as to part of what you seem to be doing, the DNS record was cleared by simply rebooting my PC. I tried it twice, once on an XP machine and once on Win 7, same outcome.

It might be easier to suggest the OP work the problem by clearing history and cookies in the browser, or by trying another browser.

o

I want to run the full script as I posted it plus the DNS, I understand the dns gets cleared upon rebooting.

We've turned our computer upside down.......reinstalling drivers, trying different names, lowering our security, talking with experts, etc., etc., and nothing worked.

From the above information supplied by the user, I am assuming they tried the browser, cookies thing.

o

I'm not very computer savvy. My husband has been trying to fix it. He did flush the DNS cache and we've cleared files, cookies, history, etc., etc.
Like I said, I'm now able to get on........but we don't know why.
We have an AT&T Aircard modem. We plug it into our computer, and that's how we get internet access. We did an upgrade to it a couple months ago, and that's when all the trouble started. My husband could access the site at work, on all his computers and his laptop too. But at home, if he used the Aircard modem on his laptop, he could no longer access the site. So we deduced it had something to do with the Aircard upgrade. He talked to several techs at AT&T and Sierra Wireless and they couldn't figure out what was going on.
I also could no longer access my Photobucket account.
But today, out of the blue, I'm able to log on to Gardenweb AND access my Photobucket account.
We haven't done anything different to the computer recently.
My husband thought it had something to do with Gardenweb's security certificate. And the fact that garden web had just the http and not the https.
I'm sorry if I'm not making sense, because of my not be very computer savvy. But........I'm finally able to access Gardenweb and for that I am grateful. I just hope it doesn't happen again!
I will print out everything you've suggested in case it does happen again.

o

I figured the issue resolved itself when you said you connected today. Those are the procedures I go through with connection problems, along with reinstalling the Network Adapter through Device Manager. When I saw the Aircard Modem I cringed a bit, just don't trust them all the time, same with wireless, wireless adapters usb type etc etc.

Glad you're ok for now.

Joe

o

Thanks everyone!

o

You're welcome!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here