SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

firefox instead of explorer and Flash Player

chas045
11 years ago

I have an old Dell inspiron 8200 laptop with only 40gig HD and 1 meg memory, win XP sp3 and was using explorer 7 I thought. It kept asking to upgrade to 8 but I was a little worried considering my minimal use and old machine. Actually, as I was looking for a version for this post, it appears to be 8.6001 something; perhaps as recently as this morning.

Today, I was having trouble getting into gardenweb at all. I had to shut down a couple of times. Instead I tried firefox for essentially the first time and got on easily and it ran much faster than my usual experience in garden web. So, i tried other sites with no trouble and was (or am) planning to switch to firefox. On the other hand, I am using Explorer 8 now and it is working although still slower than firefox.

Anyway, while in firefox 5. I went to my online NY Times newspaper and was about to look at a couple of videos but it says I will have to install Flash Player. Well, I have Flash PLayer. Adobe is often telling me to upgrade it for security and I do it. I had thought I was using 10.5 something but when I finally found it in my system folder, it says it is version 11. something. I actually clicked on the NY Times link for instalation to see what would happen and it said to download version 10.3 I think. Well I certainly don't want to backtrack on my flash player. Shouldn't firefox already know I have an existing and newer flash player? What should I do?

Comments (5)