Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Laptop display issues & Driver Restorer downloaded with Micro XML

lynnalexandra
9 years ago

I have a Dell Inspiron N4010
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz
RAM : 4 GB Physical Memory. Windows 7.

I just ran Secunia and it revealed a few programs that needed updating. I updated chrome and firefox, and then went on to click the SEcunia link to update Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML). When I then click to download XML Services, I got some program called Driver Restorer (partnered with Microsoft). Once I ran the file, it scanned the laptop and revealed 22 drivers that needed updating. Of course, then they want a fee. This is the program:

http://landing.driverrestore.com/4101/01/en/thankyou.php

I'm inclined to think I should not download/ purchase a license to have this program update my drivers. (Although if there is such a program that's trustworthy, I would be interested in a safe, comprehensive way to update my drivers).

I always thought I could trust Secunia and it's links to update programs. So I"m not sure how or what this driver restorer is and how it piggy-backed? on XML services. I'm very careful about those check boxes they automatically fill in.

Anybody know what this program is?

I had actually wondered about another problem that just started on this laptop the other day. The screen (not a touch screen) does not always display - or it's too light - or has lines. Like an old tv that's not properly tuning in the channels. In this process, sometimes I can't find the cursor or move it. I ran antivirus, antispyware, ccleaner, updated programs and rebooted. It's better now but not great. At least I can find the cursor. If I touch the screen it sometimes help the screen to display the picture clearly. So is this a failure in the display? and it's just dying and there's nothing I can do? Is it possibly a driver? I had hoped that updated java would fix it, but it didn't.

Thanks.
Lynn.

Comments (2)