SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
still_da

Firefox Security Update

DA_Mccoy
14 years ago

Users of FF should update to the now available v3.5.2. A critical concern on prior versions:

"If a criminal infiltrates a network, he can set up a secret eavesdropping post and capture credit card numbers, passwords and other sensitive data flowing between computers on that network and sites their browsers have deemed safe.

In an even more nefarious plot, an attacker could hijack the auto-update feature on a victim's computer, and trick it into automatically installing malware pulled in from a hacker's Web site. The computer would think it's an update coming from the software manufacturer."

This concern also effects IE which has yet to release an update as of this moment.

"Microsoft Corp., whose Internet Explorer browser is the world's most popular, said it was investigating the issue. Mozilla Corp., which makes the No. 2 Firefox browser, said most of the problems being addressed were fixed in the latest version of its browser, and that the rest will be fixed in an update coming this week."

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: msnbc.com

Comments (31)

• not2bright
    14 years ago

Hmmm...

I have 3.0.12 and when I go to Help > Check for Updates, it only tells me I should get 3.0.13 !

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

you will have to go get the full update to the next version since you have not yet updated to 3.5.

• Related Discussions

Firefox Update

Q

Comments (2)
    well that date is seriously wrong LOL no idea why you have that showing up. The version you have, 3.0.6 is the newest and latest version so you are current. You can always find out which you have and more info by clicking on Help up top and then on about firefox. are your regular date and time settings ok on your pc?
    ...See More

Firefox update?

Q

Comments (7)
    Just a couple questions. Where is the up roar that FF has a security issue? Where is the march on the castle to burn FF at the stake? It seems every time IE has a concern users get all over it with condemnation. Though IE has a significant edge on total concerns, this is not the first time for FF either. If users don't hold Mozilla's feet to the fire for a comprehensive browser I can assure you in time they will become lacking. Like many previous flagship applications they could just be taking their turn at the head of the class. DA
    ...See More

Firefox Update

Q

Comments (4)
    Some users have remained with FF base v3.0 by personal choice and Mozilla has continued to support it at this time. Thus the availablity of update v3.0.13. The current and most secure version of FF is base v3.5 with now the update v.3.5.2 DA
    ...See More

Firefox update question

Q

Comments (5)
    Are you running Avast antivirus? If so, the advisory is related to it. I got that advisory after an update a couple years ago. Fixing it requires removing a Registry key. Uninstalling Avast does not remove the key. Do so at your own risk if you aren't familiar with Registry editing procedures ... there is no undo if you make a mistake (unless you know how to export/save a copy of the key being deleted). Mozilla Support Forum - Firefox - Your browser is being managed by your organization
    ...See More
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

opps meant to add more before I hit submit, if you choose to keep your current 3.0 version then you should go ahead with the update it is presenting you with. Once you have done that it takes you to the screen telling you the update was successful and there it tells you about version 3.5 and how to get that update.

• DA_Mccoy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry I didn't give any thought to those who are still using v3.0. Please check the link below.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Mozilla.org

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

I updated my office computer to 3.5 and it is sooo slow I had to use IE all day. I'm not updating my other computers until they fix it. I find the updates confusing. I have FF 3.0.12. I want to make sure I don't wind up with 3.5.

Jane

• not2bright
    14 years ago

Thanks for the comments !

I did as ravencajun said and updated my 3.0 which took me to a screen to update to 3.5. Went rather smoothly ! :-)

Thanks again !

• DA_Mccoy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jane,

I have heard/read of only a few who have had concerns with v3.5. Mine works just fine on this Vista system and I just recently put it on a XP SP2 system for a co-worker with positive results. Have you tried removing your add-ons and using a bare browser? My thought is one of them which is running in the background may be log jamming your system.

Regardless, members should at least upgrade to v3.0.13.

DA

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

I have 3.5.1 on this machine and have the 'back-button' issue which drives me nuts! I don't think it is only a GW issue because it happens on a few other sites.

I'll try getting rid of my add-ons.

Jane

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

try running your firefox in safe mode I don't mean the pc safe mode but the firefox safe mode which is without anything other than the basics running you can find it in the settings for firefox by going to start all programs then on mozilla firefox and select firefox safe mode.

• Jasdip
    14 years ago

I run 3.0.12. I updated the FF when the recommendation came up. And then I did a Windows update, when it told me I had some.

Since then (may be coincidental), the dreaded blue screen flashed for a split second and my computer shut down and restarted.

I did a restore to a previous time, before I installed the updates.
    I did the FF update only, yesterday and the blue screen flashed again. Once again I did a system restore to the end of July. My fingers are crossed, I'm terrified of the blue screen!

• secsteve
    14 years ago

I'm currently using 3.0.13 on my Mac. In reading all this and the link provided, I should upgrade to the 3.5 version? Is that correct? Gets a bit confusing for me at times and appreciate all the help I get on this forum.

• secsteve
    14 years ago

I read what it said about both updates and I can't see the difference between 3.5 and 3.0.13 which I just recently upgraded to. Am I not understanding clearly the reason to go from 3.0.13 to 3.5?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Jane, on my system, disabling the NoScript add on took care of the back button issue.

• natal
    14 years ago

Pkponder, I wasn't having any of the back button/shrinking font issues until this past weekend. I read your post a few minutes ago and deleted my NoScript add-on. Visited a few GW forums and it looks like the problems still exist.

I'm using a Mac with Firefox 3.0.13. My only current add-on is AdBlock Plus. If I use Safari the back button/shrinking font issue seems non-existent. The only problem is Safari seems to move slower than Firefox.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I use Firefox 3.5.2 with no AdBlock Plus. Maybe time to update?

Pam

• natal
    14 years ago

Pam, do you have any add-ons? Can you see the banner ad and side ad here on GW?

• natal
    14 years ago

Pam, updated to 3.5.2. Things seem to be moving faster and (knock on wood) no more back button/font issues.

• natal
    14 years ago

I spoke too soon. I don't know what's going on with Firefox. It keeps locking up. Guess it's time I get familiar with Safari.

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

I still have the back button problem on my desktop and office machine. I disabled all add-ons and tried safe mode with no luck. Is there a way to uninstall these add-ons? I have FF 3.5.2. No problem on the netbook but I never put NoScript on it so maybe that's the problem. Can't find a way to uninstall it.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

they have said in the red updates at the top they know there is a problem and it is with this site so why try to fix something on your pc when it is a website problem? I did as they asked and hit the contact button and told them I am having the problem and what browsers and versions I have that are involved. They will have to fix it site wise. it does not occur on any other site for me so I know it is not my pc.

• bob414
    14 years ago

Go to tools > add ons and click on an add on and you will see the uninstall button. It will not help the back button problem. If you use NoScript and do not allow gardenweb.com in the settings you will not have the problem. I do not allow gardenweb.com and can still post and reply to posts with no problem. If I click to temporarily allow gardenweb.com I have the back button problem again. It seems to me that if you can't live with the problem you have to use another browser or allow NoScript to block gardenweb.com until they find the solution.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

I do not have no script on one of the computers that is having the back button issue so that certainly rules it out in my case. that pc has firefox with out no script and has the back button issue, if everyone that has it will give them their exact specs and what makes it work or not work it will help them root out the website problem.

My linux pc with firefox with out no script has no back button issues.

• natal
    14 years ago

Raven, I did that last weekend. Sent them all the specs. Since then I've updated to FF 3.5.2 and unchecked GardenWeb on NoScript. Today everything seems back to normal. Will it last? No clue.

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

Updated to the latest FF, uninstalled noscript, rebooted, still have the back button problem. I've sent them at least 5 emails over the last two weeks.

Jane

• natal
    14 years ago

Jane, are you having issues with changing font size too, or is it just the back button? Did you do what Bob suggested about not allowing GW in the NoScript settings?

Wonder why GW hasn't issued an update for the past week?

• camp56
    14 years ago

To those of you who are uninstalling NoScript, because you are having a problem with GardenWeb, or don't like having to take the time to click the NoScript icon and temporarily allow a script to run, I would strongly encourage you to rethink your decision. It is most likely a poorly written or badly written script on GardenWeb that is causing the problem, not NoScript, and when you remove NoScript, you are greatly endangering your computer. A large number of websites are infected with one or another form of malware. That may be in the form of saving "cookies", running some type of scripting to collect information about you, or an outright exploit, clickjacking, etc, using scripts, and these put your computer at great risk.

Most of the time, what NoScript blocks is not necessary for you to be able to enjoy and use a website. Scripts can make the Web an enjoyable place to visit, but they can be used in many harmful and malicious ways as well. You want to run only the "good" scripts, and stay away from the bad. That is what NoScript allows you to do. I know it takes some time and effort to learn to use NoScript, but in the end, it is well worth the effort to avoid having your computer infected with some very nasty visitors. If more people used NoScript, there would be a lot less people showing up here and other computer help forms needing help to get their computers back from the "bad guys".

• leahcate
    14 years ago

Bob...thank you! I simply hit on the "S"( NOScript icon) and "forbid GW", and.......Voila! No more shrinking font or Back button issues! Whew! Have not tried posting, but assume all will be fine. Do not understand the process, nor can I fully operate No Script..it can be a royal pain at times. However, it put an end to the bouncing, singing, shouting ads on here. So! Another big thanks to the poster who suggested( awhile back) NS...though it's a love/hate thing I have for it, and a thanks again, Bob, for solving the latest problem!

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

I do not have NoScript on this computer, never did, and I still have the problem with the back button. I have been running it with all add-ons and plug-ins disabled and the problem persists. Strangely, I don't see any ads. How do you clean the cache? Does CCleaner do it?

Wish they'd fix the problem.

Jane

• camp56
    14 years ago

NoScript keeps you from having the problem. You use it to block scripts from running on GardenWeb. Scripts are what is causing the back button problem.

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

I have 5 computers and do not have NoScript on any of them. This desktop is the only one with the back button problem.

I had NoScript for years and was always turning it off because it would mess up what I was doing. Never could figure out how to use it. I stopped using it years ago and never had a bug or problem. I don't think the back button problem is related to NoScript...obviously.

Jane

• camp56
    14 years ago

Of course the problem is not related to NoScript. It is related to scripts running on GardenWeb. NoScript blocks all the scripts from running and that has solved the problem for several people. It is simply a tool to use and is in no way the cause of the back button problem. Obviously you don't have to try it if you don't want to.