Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
502 Bad Gateway

Posted by aufin (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 13:48

Trying to help a friend clean up his laptop after his grandkids had it for a while.

Hewlet Packard Compaq Presario C P 57 Notebook 64 Bit with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Can't connect to internet. Keep getting "502 Bad Gateway" error message. All other desktops and laptops in the house are able to connect, search and roam around thru the same wireless except the one I'm having trouble with. Anything I can do?

And, I can't selectively click multiple files by holding the "control" key nor can I select an entire column by holding the "shift" key. Can't find where to take care of that issue, either.

This post was edited by aufin on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 14:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 502 Bad Gateway

The Bad Gateway error is referencing the website that the home page is set to. Try typing in www.google.com (or whatever you like) and see if you can browse.

Is he set up as an Administrative user? I am assuming that you are attempting to select files in Windows Explorer?

o

"The Bad Gateway error is referencing the website that the home page is set to. Try typing in www.google.com (or whatever you like) and see if you can browse. "

I understand all that.......been there, done that - many times. That's why I said everything else is working thru the same wireless. That's why I here asking what I can do with the corrupted computer.

o

Try another browser, Try connecting in safemode with networking and see if it connects there. Even though the other computers connect I would still power down/ power up router and modem. You could reinstall the network adapter also. Run a Malwarebytes scan..

Need any help with any of those suggestions please ask.

Since the kids had it Malwarebytes might be first on the list.

This post was edited by zep516 on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 19:07

o

Don't know how to try another browser if I can't get to any to download one. Safemode didn't help, either. Everything's been powered down and up more than once. Have no source discs for a network adapter install. MBAM was my first try, but the last update predates the kids getting their hands on it.....games, games and more games (translates to crap, junk and more crap), and for some reason MBAM won't let me scan without a current update. The kids figured out they had messed up, so they tried "fixing" things before saying anything. I have no idea what they got into and changed. I've deleted and fixed as much as I know how, but still there's some little things that just don't do right. I think now I'm getting into an area that's over my head.

o

How far back can you go on a windows system restore point, that may be worth a shot. or have you tried that already.. It might get you connected enough to run Malwarebytes.

The network adapter can be reinstalled from device manager, no disk needed, I don't think that is the issue though..

It's probably a lot of adware as you already know.

This post was edited by zep516 on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 20:59

o

Windows system restore help

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore

o

Not far enough.....already tried that. Where would the network adapter load into......IE...... Google, ??

Thinking I may have to see if I can borrow a friends windows discs and start over.

o

Device Manager said network adapter(s) is working fine and no conflicts.

o

I'll give you one more thing to try. You will need a good computer. You already have that because you're posting, the other item you need is a USB Flash drive,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Download adwCleaner using the good computer onto a flash drive, from the link above, now take out the flash drive insert it back into the problem unit and run adwcleaner. Do not reinsert the flash drive back into the good computer.. until you reformat it after use....

adwCleaner is a very good browser clean up tool and will fix many things. Make sure you run the CLEAN option in adwCleaner, some people just run the scan and forget to run the clean option, the clean option of course removes the adware...

Good luck...AdwCleaner could get you out of the woods!

I'm trained in Malware removal, I'm not making this stuff up as I go, just to let you know...

Thanks
Joe :)

This post was edited by zep516 on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 21:34

o

While you are downloading Adwcleaner as Joe suggests you might also grab the Opera browser to try in case IE is the issue.

Also if you do manage to borrow a Windows 7 DVD be sure when asked for the 25 digit activation code to use the one on the bottom of the problem laptop. You will also need to visit the HP site to get the needed drivers.

o

Alright guys, I'll give Adw... a shot soon as I get back home and clean up one of my flash drives.

No need for the disclaimer....):. I've been around lurking/learning from you guys for a while. Both screen names are familiar and trusted. Thanks. I'll let you know what happens.

o
RE: 502 Bad GatewayB

Alright guys, I'll give Adw... a shot soon as I get back home and clean up one of my flash drives.

No need for the disclaimer....):. I've been around lurking/learning from you guys for a while. Both screen names are familiar and trusted. Thanks. I'll let you know what happens.

o

Laptop still doesn't connect. Onboard diagnosis tool still pointing to network adaptor issue. Adw found and deleted a bunch of stuff, but.......... Think I'm going to have to reinstall something, just don't know what.

o

The network adapter that you see in Device manager, can be uninstalled and re-installed, you should see 2 of them listed 1 an Ethernet adapter and 2 a lan adapter (Wireless) even if device manager says it's working I would uninstall it.

To do that:

Right click on the network adapter in device manager, now choose uninstall, now reboot windows will reinstall the adapter. Try to connect.

Also check Internet Explorer for a proxy, malware sets them.

To do that:

In Internet Explorer: Tools Menu -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab ->Lan Settings > uncheck "use a proxy server" and check to "Automatically detect settings".

If all that fails try running System file checker.

To do that:

Google "System file checker win 7"

o

Joila!! Writing from the newly somewhat cleaned up laptop. Thanks guys......don't bang me again for the "guy" thing. :) We crossed that bridge a year or so ago. To me "guy" is the easiest and quickest neutral term till I figure out exactly who I'm dealing with.
Now to update malwarebytes and a couple others and see what else I can find on this machine. Again.... Thank you very much.
Don't be surprised to hear from me again. He brought me a second laptop to debug. Think I'm going to find some duct tape for the kids, too.

o

Run Malwarebytes, then run an ESET online scan

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Joe

o

Next an last,

Clean out your temporary internet files and temp files.

Download TFC by OldTimer click Here to your desktop. Click the Save file tab, save it to the desktop. Then double click it to run it.

Double-clickTFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista, Win 7, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin

* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
* Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
* Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.

Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Malware can hide in temp folders...

This post was edited by zep516 on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 21:19

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here