Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows Updates - Failed

Posted by msm84 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 13:27

I give up....I have tried all the suggestions on the Microsoft help site and still a no go. First I admit I was way behind doing the updates (48 total) on my 8 year old HP laptop. I do have both sp2 and sp3 installed and have always kept the laptop in good shape with never a problem, but this has me stumped!

The 2 updates in question are:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2656353)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2656370)

Both come up with an 0x643 error. I have tried 3 times to download these updates and every time I get the same "failed". Checking my updates I do have the latest versions so I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. Any suggestions?

TIA
MsMary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows Updates - Failed

aI would not worry about those 2. If those are the only ones.
A good practice with that many is to break them down to 10-12 at a time then let it reboot go get more etc less chance of problems.

o

Ravencajun, Thank you and I will just hide them if they come up again. And I did do the updates 10 at a time, rebooted before I downloaded 10 more. I'm proud to say I learned that here ((grin))

Again thank you for your prompt answer!

o

Did you try to run the Microsoft "Fix It" tool for Windows Updates?

o

I agree, nothing to lose sleep about.

Look at it this way: you say you were fine before. Now that you've done those updates, the likelihood is 46 chances out of 48 that you're much better off now. Good odds!

o

I have tried all the suggestions on the Microsoft help site and still a no go.

Partly because I'm curious and partly because it might help someone else, even if it didn't help you, did you try this specific Microsoft Fixit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

o

You are welcome and trying the fix it would not hurt, some time they work.
Of all the windows updates the.net ones are the ones that tend to have problems.

I follow a guide by Susan Bradley which she does every time new updates come out. She gives her suggestions as to what to install, wait or skip. I see her quite often skip those.

If you subscribe to the Windows secrets newsletter you can find Susan list there.

o

chuggerguy you asked:

"Partly because I'm curious and partly because it might help someone else, even if it didn't help you, did you try this specific Microsoft Fixit?"

My answer is YES. I did download and run the fix and it was still a "no go". I thought maybe the problem came from the fact it was a download from April and then in June there was an update for that update. Just maybe the newest update may have cancelled out the earlier one. Just a guess on my part, but when it comes to computers that explanation of "guess" should work *lol*

Thanks everyone!!

o

The way that I finally got those particular security updates (KB2656353 and KB2656370) to install was that I went into my Programs (in Control Panel) and uninstalled the .NET Framework programs. Then I went back to Windows Updates and re-installed the .NET Framework programs and their associated security updates. Everything installed without a problem.

Apparently there was some issue with Windows Defender related to these particular updates. The clients anti-virus was not up-to-date and after getting MSE installed and updated, I performed the above-mentioned process.

I did this for a client who was using the Windows Vista OS.

o

I have found NET updates to be a little tricky when assisting other users. One thing that I have found to often work is to install them individually starting with the lowest Knowledge Base number.

DA

o

Yes, I have done that also, and it does seem to work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here