SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biwako_of_abi

Desktop suddenly switched from landscape to protrait orientation.

biwako_of_abi
10 years ago

Something very weird has happened.

This morning I connected a data cable from my new Samsung Galaxy tab 3 to my computer for the first time, and at a slight jolt from the tablet's stand collapsing, the desktop of my computer (but not the tablet) suddenly rotated to a portrait view that put everything on its side. The cursor became terribly hard to move accurately, as well. The tablet seems not to have been affected.

Dell Inspiron 560 desktop
Win7 Home Premium, 64-bit

Has anyone ever had this problem, and does anyone know how I can fix it? After several panicky minutes, I hit upon rotating the entire monitor to a portrait orientation, and that fixed the problem with moving the cursor and allows me to use my PC as well, but I'd like to get things back to the normal landscape orientation of the monitor, as this way, I have to move the quick-launch toolbar to the side in order to see and use what I have pinned there, further reducing the horizontal space I have to work in.

A young friend who knows computers, but is away on a two-week trip to a foreign country and unavailable, "helped this old couple" by installing backup software that he considers more reliable, but which disabled Sys. Restore (as we found out a few months later). His backup software requires his help to use, as restoring to an earlier time is a very complicated process. So I am left helpless until he gets back.

As must be obvious, I know practically nothing about tablets and am trying to get used to this one, the first our family has ever had. I was making some progress the last two days, but this problem has me stumped. Before bothering you folks here, I also looked through the big Windows 7 manual put out by Microsoft, but couldn't find anything relevant.

Any help would be much appreciated!

[If it makes any difference, I had connected the tab with the PC while following directions to prepare the tablet to accept the transfer of eBooks from Adobe Digital Editions, but have accomplished nothing in that direction yet. It probably requires my being connected to the Internet, which I can't do at home, not having WiFi. And I bought the tablet mainly to be able to read digital books and magazines more comfortably. (Groaning and tears)]

Comments (3)