Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All in One Computers

Posted by bevj7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 13:03

I am wanting a new computer. Does anyone have an opinion about the All In One type? I use a desktop now. Does the AIO have a bunch of cords visible like the desktop does? I have been searching the different types online as my time away from home is very limited.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All in One Computers

Bev, I have just started checking out all in one computers and am Googling the pros and cons. I have put the link for one of the sites I found. I haven't read it all but thought you might like to check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: All in Ones

o

Here is the link to my search results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Results

o
RE: All in One C omputers

As you will find out by reading some of the pros and cons, there are less cables, but heat is a problem. The all in one has more of a heat problem than a desktop. I play a lot of games and the room my PC is in is on the south side and is the hottest room in the house. So will stick to my desktop for now. It would have been fun learning the differences and giving the touch screen a try.

o

I've got a Sony Vaio All-in-One with a 24" screen and like it. However, there are disadvantages:

1) They are generally more expensive than similarly spec'ed standard systems.

2) If the monitor fails on a standard system, you replace it. If the screen fails on your AIO, you'll have to take it in for servicing, and it could be quite expensive.

3) The insides are very tight and highly integrated, so you can't generally swap out internal components if you want to upgrade in the future, other than perhaps the hard drive. Also, while mine has a slot inside to add a second hard drive, there is no other expansion space for other components. Additional equipment would have to be external.

o

I LOVE the new Vizio all in one, I had been reading about them and I saw one at walmart it is a beauty. If I had unlimited funds and a bigger desk I would have one but it just would not work for my work space and how I use 2 hard drives.

But I would definitely consider that one if you are looking.
VIZIO PC

o

Emma - Sounds like your heat problem comes from playing video-intensive games on the wrong hardware. You'd likely have the same problem with a laptop. You need something with uber-cooling capability and airflow. For normal users and normal uses, all-in-ones have no heat problem that I've heard of or experienced (I have a Sony and it's terrific).

kudzu - Laptops are also as you describe, integrated monitors, tightly packed spaces with no room to add, etc. Most people don't add components to their PCs; and people who need expansion space always use regular desktops.

Just as a laptop is a PC designed with specific capabilities and uses for which it is suitable, so too is an all in one. If you're looking for a large screen with a small foorprint and without cable clutter, it's for you. If not, there are better choices

o

well darn it after watching those videos and seeing all the great stuff on that Vizio again I am sitting here wondering how I could make this work, and I think I have it figured out LOL My husband wanted to buy it for me when we saw it he was blown away by it too. What I really like that it has is that touch pad so you don't have to be touching the actual screen and getting finger prints all over it. Oh it sure would be nice. Plus it has the special Microsoft Signature experience which would be so nice, no clutter or extra junk to deal with. I do like AMD over Intel and this has Intel inside but I could live with that.

I can't be spending more money I just bought an RV for heavens sake LOL
It's like that darn RING in the Lord of the rings it calls to me!

o

Kudzu9 referred to the difficulty perhaps of swapping out any internals. This becomes very real if for example the built in network or video card fails. Space aside the real issue might well be finding a low profile daughter board that would fit.

The HP slim profile computers are the same, I have had to butcher a network card and a video card for 2 separate computers where there is no replacement available.

The above is not intended to discourage but rather to point out a possibility that a buyer might not think of.

o

People don't need to consider all the possible "what-ifs" or theoretical risks about a purchase that they're unlikely to have to deal with. Details like that are irrelevent. Most people will never tinker with their PCs - they use them till they stop working, then they replace them.

The likelihood is that any component that doesn't fail during a warranty period will provide a reasonable period of service.

You can make the same "cramped space" comment about most any car, the fact is, most owners will never need to know or care about how one model compares in that regard to another. It doesn't affect function

o

Raven, I don't need one I just wanted it to see what it is like. I was going to buy a new PC with W 8 until I read the difference. Doesn't sound interesting at all.

Snidley, I just play games like Zumas Revenge, Jewel Quest (all 4) Plants and Zombies, now Mortimer Becketts Time Paragon. I have 20 games on my PC and no problems at all with my PC.

I saw an all in one at the store, looked really sweet.

o

Thank you. You have given me some good information. I will read the links that Emma has provided too. I plan to get a computer with adequate componets. Better too much than not enough. I am still considering a desktop too.

o

Bev, I spend so much time at the computer I am going to stick to the desktop. I like it but I have it set up in a bedroom without the bedroom furniture and have room to spare. I set the desk facing out like an office. In other words all of my cables and wires are exposed. I fixed that by sitting desktop to my side and tall silk plants in front of them

o

Snidely you may have noticed that the OP asked for opinions, I offered one. To suggest people don't need to consider the 'what ifs' is foolish in my mind. The more knowledge a consumer has prior to buying an expensive item the better they are to make a wise choice.

You may have missed my last sentence too, here it is again:
The above is not intended to discourage but rather to point out a possibility that a buyer might not think of.

I would not suggest that most users who come here should get inside their computers but in the event of a failure a tech will need to do so and being a non standard computer the price to fix would likely be higher. Just my thoughts of course.

o

Owbist,

What I was trying to comment about was the difference between the following two questions:

1) Tell me what you know that I don't know, versus

2) Tell me what you know that I don't know, that would be USEFUL for me to know

When someone is asking for advice on a forum, to me, they're posing the second question. Your words answered the hypothetical first question but really offered nothing concerning the second.

o

owbist-
I agree with you. I don't tinker much anymore with the internas of my computers. However, I had the hard drive fail on my Vaio under warranty and got to watch the tech go though a very complex disassembly to get at the hard drive...and that was one of the simplest things to remove. I subsequently had a slight, occasional buzzing in one of the speakers and asked a tech about it. He showed me the dis-assembly manual and you had to basically take apart the whole computer from back to front -- including removing hundreds of screws of different sizes, disconnecting almost every cable, and taking out the screen -- to get to the speakers. It probably was a several hour job if you were experienced doing it. I decided it was more trouble than it was worth, and figured there was a chance of something else getting messed up with that level of dis-assembly. On a regular computer, replacing a failed component would be no problem for me, but I wouldn't risk it on an AIO. If you're under warranty, it's fine, but after that expires, repairs can get pricy.

I still am happy with my Vaio, and am not trying to discourage anyone. Just pointing out an issue specific to this design of computer.

Snidely-
I also agree with you that AIOs are much like laptops in their design...but they are also much larger and heavier, and having to box one up to send it off to an authorized repair center is a bit more of a challenge than getting a laptop serviced.

o

An iMac would be a nice choice. With wireless networking, keyboard, and mouse the only thing going to the unit would be the power cord.

o

Mike, I was told by a clerk in the store I can't play my games on it. Otherwise is sounds like a good option.

o

The clerk may be wrong. What kind of games do you play?

o

Emma the kind of games you play are not "gamer" games they use very little resources so should not make much of a drain on your system at all so that should not make it run hot.

Real gamer games are very intense games with major graphics that stress the video card and the audio is also intense these kinds of games put a very heavy load on various parts of a system which is why you see some computers labeled as gamer computers. These games are games that are often multi player games. War games, like World of Warcraft WOW.

the little online games like jewel quest and the word games and stuff like that are not in that type of game level, totally different.

AS to the ability to play some of those type games on a Mac if you are playing them as online games in your browser then you likely can, if you have them as installed games on the computer they may or may not make a version for Mac just look it up on the game site.

o

I buy the games at retail stores and they are not the high powered games that real gamers play.

I was told my games won't play on a Mac because Mac doesn't do exe files. I like simple games with time to think, not fast action. I have played games since Atari came out. My Super Nintendo's don't work anymore so I started playing PC Games. I recently started playing hidden object games but still play the other 19 games. LOL I have learned to Google for solutions. I found a cheat sheet on the net for Mortimer Beckett's Time Paragon. I think it was posted by the author because there are errors in the game.

o

My desktop is wireless, so if had a mac or Hp AIO it could work off my wireless set up and just need a power plug right? I have always bought the reformat disks when I bought a new PC. Can the mac be reformatted if I mess it up or if it gets sluggish.

o

I'd try to wait the month or two for Windows 8 to come factory installed, if I were in the market for a new pc.

o

Mikie I read what was posted about it and didn't seem to be that interesting, more about touch technology. I don't need a new computer just thought it would fun to have an AIO to play with.

o

Mikie,

I'd do the opposite, if thinking about a new machine, I'd act quickly to get one with Win 7 instead of Win 8.

As you may know, Win 8 has a completely different interface, it looks smartphone-ish with lots of icons and few words. No Start button. It'll probably be very popular with people under 30 and unpopular with older folks who were comfortable with the Windows UI that has been consistent for the last 15+ years. I'm in the second category.

I have two machines with Win 7 and I've found it to be much better than Vista. Almost as good as XP was 10+ years ago !!

o

The conversations in this thread have given me a lot to think about. I hope to make a decision in the near future. Thanks everyone

o

You are welcome Bev, I was feeling like I had hijacked your thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here