SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
criticalmass048

I think my computer is dead

criticalmass048
12 years ago

I've got a home-built computer that I got from someone a few years ago. It used an ASUS KN8-E motherboard, a separate AGP video card, and three 1GB RAM sticks.

A few days ago, the computer began locking up. No mouse or keyboard. I noticed that the time in the lower-right corner of my desktop had stopped at about 15 minutes previous. I powered down, and everything was fine after that.

Next day, it happened twice while I was using it. I opened the case to check things out, and gave it a vacuum. It seemed to work fine the rest of the day until I was about to go bed, and the "alarm" on my video card started whistling. I think that means there's no power going to the fan.

Day #3, I turn it on, and it locks up within 5 minutes. I turned it off, rebooted, and this time it froze up while booting. I opened up the case again, thinking maybe the video card needed to have the fan vacuumed out. I pulled out the card, but the fan was good. I cleaned it anyway. I also pulled out the three RAM sticks and reseated them. Went to power on, and get no signal to my monitor. All the fans start spinning as they should, but nothing else happens.

I went back to basics. I tried using just one stick of RAM at a time in a different slot; I tried disconnecting the DVD drive, the USB card reader, the sound card, and finally even pulled the video card and put in my old video card, and disconnected the hard drive. Nothing... just fans.

As far as I know, with just the monitor and power cord connected, I should AT LEAST get a display from the motherboard BIOS, correct? Even if it's just telling me it can't find an operating system. I get nothing.

My fear is that it's the motherboard or CPU. I don't see anything obviously wrong with either. I know I will need to re-apply heatsink compound, but until I figure out what the problem is, I really don't need to worry about it though.

I'm hoping someone can either confirm my fears, or tell me what else to look for, or even if it's worth it. Maybe I should just buy another bare-bones system and transfer components over?

Thanks for your time!

Comments (25)