Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New problem with X-P

Posted by esteban_2009 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 12:22

Owbist, thanks for the suggestion of a new thread.
The computer I am having problems with only has X-P.
Due to a problem with my X-P machine, I have put the Ubuntu project on the back burner. Please allow me to tell you about my new problem. X-P SP3, 1024 MB memory. Due to a connection related problem I talked to the folks at ATT. They got me back on line but the computer is very slow, it has not crashed, but it takes forever for the pages to load. Sometimes I type faster than the computer can load the images of the type, and I am a very slow typer. When going from one web page to another is seems like forever. When I try to click back to the former page, also takes a long time. Also, the pages load small and I have to enlarge them, nothing seems to work like it should. I have run Malwarebytes, Ccleaner, Spyware Blaster and defragged the computer...nothing bad showed up.
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New problem with X-P

Try doing a power down then power up in this order, disconnect power from router and modem, turn off pc. Leave it for about 5 minutes, then power up the modem once fully lit power up the router once fully lit, go ahead and power up the pc. See if that helps, often times letting everything reset can work.

If no improvement try control alt delete to look at task manager and find what is using the most resources that can lead you to the culprit some time.

o

I just realized IE 8 has been installed without my knowledge, could this be my problem?
Steve

o

I want to make sure you have only one Antivirus program on there..If you have recently changed AVs..did you ensure that all of the previous one has been purged from your computer..iGB of memory is not a whole lot these days..Can your machine handle a memory upgrade ie what is the max it can handle

o

It could be, there have been reports of slow down when IE 8 upgrade occurred.
Try using firefox or chrome see if it improves speed

o

I'd wonder how many toolbars and how many different security programs have been installed/removed over time.

I just fixed a computer.. seemed like some of the same symptoms, slow type, slow web. Slow everything. I started with a general clean up my mind thinking virus... but clean as much as possible first to make scans faster... Removed tool bars, a couple of junk programs... it had two usb virus checker programs... when I removed the second one.. instantly noticed it woke up the connection. She had a usb wireless modem so I suspect.. that was it. Zero virus, 1mb connection, peppy little web computer with 512 ram, xpsp3. Removed some ungodly amount of temporary files.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here