SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dudsiam

Slow Wifi Speed

dudsiam
12 years ago

I am struggling with a speed problem. I am trying to figure out why my wife's laptop is so slow. When she plays a video on YouTube or streams a movie there is a constant buffering interruption. I know. The download speed is not fast enough to keep up with the upload speed. I am trying to figure out the problem.

I have a desktop hooked directly into the cable service. My desktop seems to run quite well.....and rarely is there an buffering interruption with my desktop. My wife has a relatively new laptop. It is not bogged down with lots of stuff. She is not a computer person.....and only checks her email about once a week. She has a pretty fast Toshiba laptop. She is hooked to the internet by a wifi system.

I tried some online speed tests. Here is one result...comparing my desktop to her laptop:

Desktop....DL 4973 kbps Upload 1698 kbps

Laptop.....DL 594 kbps Upload 809 kbps

She is uploading faster than she is downloading....which is causing all the buffering interruptions when playing videos.

What is the problem? Could it be a bad wifi? We have a Netgear wireless N300. I am at my wits end trying to figure out a solution. How do I test the wifi efficiency? Was my speed test an indication of the efficiency, or did I not conduct the right test.

I Googled "Buffering Problems" and it is evident that I am not the only one struggling with the problem.

I would appreciate your thoughts.....suggestions....and solutions.

I thank you in advance.

Larry

Comments (14)