Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
network printer set up

Posted by carolssis (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 11:55

I'm trying to set up my laptop to print to my printer via wireless. I have Hp psc 953 printer, attached to Windows XP computer, netgear wireless router. Laptop is Windows Vista.
I put in the info for printer listed in control panel, printer and faxes. It cannot find my printer. I had laptop, desktop, printer, router and modem all turned on. Don't know what to do next. Help and support isn't helpful. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: network printer set up

My SIL had this problem too. They suggested she connect the laptop to the printer with a CAT5 cable to have it recognised then remove the cable once the setup is complete so computer will see the wireless connection.

Other than that use the HP help line if the printer is still under warranty and they will walk you through the process.

o

Remember, before you can print, you still need to install the printer's software driver on each computer! This will allow your printer and computer to communicate wirelessly.

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/603643-0-0-225-121.html

o

Are you sure that printer has wireless capability? I can't find hsc 953 on hp's website. When I search it comes up with the hsc 950 series which doesn't mention wireless capability.

o

It was a typo, thought I had corrected it, sorry. You're right, it's a psc 950. I didn't know the printer had to have wireless capability. Am real new to this wireless thing, am still learning it and the new Vista operating system, after having XP for so many years. Thanks for the info, will not waste any more time trying to connect stuff for it to work. Some times lack of knowledge leaves me without the right questions. Thanks so much.

o

Owbist was getting to something, since your printer does not have a nic (Network work Interface card) you would have to pursue this route. See link!!!! Does not look fun at all...

HP All-in-One Products - Changing the HP All-in-One From a USB Connection to a Network Connection
Introduction
Change a Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable connection to a network connection or add a network connection to the unit. The network connection can be wireless or wired.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=34579&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=34

o
More

Tell you the truth. I still don't understand how that will work without the printer having a wireless card...

o

I'm thinking it might be a permissions thing going on. I posted a link for a microsoft article. Down at the bottom of the article talks about setting your permissions for the printer to be able to share.

I have an HP officejet 5610 all in one attached to my desktop computer and I can access it via my wireless laptop. The printer does not have a wireless card. Oh, and I do not use the printer software at all. I had more trouble setting things up with it and just let Vista do it.

Rebecca

Here is a link that might be useful: Setting up a wireless network - MS vista

o

Looks way beyond my capabilities. Will use printer on home computer and send anything I need to print to email, then print from there. It's the method I used to print before I posted here. I don't understand a lot of this technology, just how to use some of it. I don't understand the wireless tech at all, but am starting to use it anyway. thanks for the help.

o
You can do it!

It is really not that hard, just following directions. It is a great way to learn things when you get in there and get familiar with how your computer system is set up. I promise, it won't blow up! :)

Rebecca

o

Thanks for that Rebecca!!!! :)

o

On laptop with Vista, printer sharing is off, and greyed out, cannot turn it on. Cannot find out how to change this. Any help for this?

o

Do not know how to copy link with touch pad. Have followed all steps on help and support to fix problems, have not solved issues. No home computer showing on network map, (laptop) printer sharing greyed out on laptop. will someone help?

o

Looks to me like this page might be of help.

o

That is what I've already done. It's what I mean when I said I didn't find any help from help and support. I try to get this fixed, get frustrated and shut down. When I try again, I've forgotten what I've done, so I do it again. I've done all those steps many times. I'm surprised that getting a router to work, setting up the home network, has been so difficult. Many pages of instructions printed out, many hand written, which is difficult for me. Have laptop accessing internet, which is good. Am just trying to share the printer that is plugged into home computer with XP. If this is not possible, I wish someone would tell me and I can go on to something else. I have no formal training on computers. Still a lot I see on here that I have no idea what is it, what it does, but I can read it. Like reading the "services" in control panel.
I've been trying to get this to work for several weeks. I just noticed in sharing and network, that it only shows the laptop(Vista) router and internet. Then I hit "map network" and did not get the home (XP) computer to show. Have used or performed all steps shown in Vista to get this to work and it does not. HP website states that my old psc 950 driver is already installed onto Vista. I don't know what to do next. I'm frazzled. Thanks bob414 for the suggestion.

o

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this? I've followed all the network and sharing steps listed on Vista. I've downloaded something called LLTD protocol onto XP. I've searched on help/support to see if I can share a printer, it says I can. Vista shows only the Vista computer, router and internet. I don't know what else to do to get the network map complete. I've followed all the steps.

o

cannahavana, thanks for the link, I've gone thru all those steps also. zep516, I tried to use your long link, it says it's not valid. My Vista computer should have my printer driver installed, according to HP site. Have checked once again, on both computers for anything forgotten or not done. Still have only Vista, router and internet listed on network map. Xp is not showing. zep516, according to something I read, if the printer is connected to my computer, I can share it with my laptop. I've double checked the printer sharing is enabled. Thanks for the suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here